Shannon Sharpe

Humanzee 5000

I agree with him there - I've been wondering how they'll react when the defense doesn't force 5 TO's a game to bail out the offense when it's struggling with the running game ecspecially, and the game is on the line.

That said, I think those situations are where having a rare blue chip QB like Palmer will make the difference. He is focused, calm, and can burn a defense at any given moment.

But the offense better sack up and understand they are not going to have the luxury of 4 and 5 INT's a game against teams like Pittsburgh and Jax, and learn to control the clock like they did against the Vikes.

I agree with him there - I've been wondering how they'll react when the defense doesn't force 5 TO's a game to bail out the offense when it's struggling with the running game ecspecially, and the game is on the line

Forgot last year's game in Baltimore already, huh? Sheesh... :thumbsdown:

Some people have a difficult time handling or accepting success. I think it is a form of conditioning. It has been so long that most people have forgotten how to handle the winning.

At some point, one or all of the things stated will bite us in the ass. But until then, "quit yer bitchin'.

As my good friend Rick Pitino once said, "the negativity in this town sucks."

I do not give a SH*T if we play a single game from behind. How does that make you a good team?

I see a Bengal team that comes out and starts red hot, on D and O.

Since when does it take for us to come out cold, play flat, and then come back and win to get props? Maybe we could play without our helmets? I can hear the criticism now, "But they still had their mouthpieces in...so they still are not for real." SHUT UP!

Why don't you non-believers go ahead and keep pumping Minny and Baltimore and correspond and report your way right out of your jobs!

Shannon Sharpe can eat tiger turds....

I agree with him there - I've been wondering how they'll react when the defense doesn't force 5 TO's a game to bail out the offense when it's struggling with the running game ecspecially, and the game is on the line

Forgot last year's game in Baltimore already, huh? Sheesh... :thumbsdown:

I'm so glad that somebody else remembers that one. :yes: Coming from behind in the 4th qtr IN Baltimore. That should tell you everything you need to know about the entire team. For his part, Palmer looked like he was at the mall window shopping.

Now the flip side of this is when we do have to come back from a deficit this year ... you'll have Sharpe or one of the other talking heads saying " Well if they're so good ... why did they have to come from behind ? "

Point was made on another thread & I agree ......... We spent a loooonnngg time digging this hole and it'll take a long time to climb back out of it. Truth be told, for me part of the fun is watching these guys jump on the wagon one by one. B)

Hey, you have to give the media darlings some credit. This is the best they could come at us with? Winning by too much? Hey, I'll take it :D

Well there's that ...... and then we also haven't beaten a good team yet. Now the Browns and the Vikes have both improved dramatically since we beat them ( in just 1 & 2 weeks respctively ) and the Bears ( who pounded the hell out of the Lions the week before ) haven't had time to develop their qb ( probably by next week they will ) so that doesn't count either.

One of the guys on here said it ... We may not play a good team all year ! Hell as long as we keep winning :sure: I'm OK with that. B)

Well there's that ...... and then we also haven't beaten a good team yet.

And here's some food for thought on that front (I know you don't buy redsfan but for the ninnies who do)...

...what about Tampa? :blink: I hear lots of breathless talk about their Cadilliac-driven revival, but the three teams they've defeated are a combined 2-7. That's a losing record even if you factor the Tampa games out.

I hear lots of pundits gushing over the mighty mighty Colts...but the teams they've beaten are a combined 3-5...basically equal to the Bengals, whose opponents are now 3-6.

The only other undefeated team (excepting KC, which is getting blown up by Denver as I write) is Washington, whose opponents have gone 3-3...or 3-1 taking out the DC games. That's notable...but even tho DC has beaten "good" teams I don't see too many talking heads drinking the Redskins Kool-Aid.

Bottom line: as one might suspect, the whole "weak opponents" argument only gets brought up for teams that do well but aren't respected by football's chattering classes. If you're "in" like the Colts or the Bucs...somehow it never gets mentioned. Funny, that. :rolleyes:

The Bengals' are 3-0, are the greatest ever and Sharpe should be picking us to win the SuperBowl, not writing about how they will react for the next 13 games when they don't have the luxury of 7 turnovers a week.

There is that better?

I did my cheerleading in other threads, I was just responding to the subject of the thread. My bad. ;)

Sharpe's comments about close games are ridiculous considering last year's Ravens game and even the various rough patches we had against the Vikings and Bears. The pundits always blame the close-game-winner (see '02-'03 Buckeyes) for not winning convincingly, and they blame the blowout-game-winner for not really being tested. And the only real way the winners can respond is by keep winning.

But underneath the stupidity there is a point...it is still early. There's always one or two teams that completely fall apart each year, and given the 14 year drought, there's no reason for a non-believer to think the Bengals won't be one of them.

Especially when the doubter is a player that used to beat the Bengals on a regular basis. This weekend on the network, Sterling Sharpe was talking about how they always looked forward to easy games on their schedule, like against the Bengals. Five minutes later he was talking about how good we are now. Sometimes that's more than a typical ex-jock can handle.

Personally, I'd like to see some adversity sooner, rather than later. It's good for a team to get used to recovering before it really matters (see Roethlisburger in the AFC Championship). And plus, we all know there are going to be loses. Why not have them against teams like the Jags and Packers then against the Ravens and Steelers?

Sharpe's comments about close games are ridiculous considering last year's Ravens game and even the various rough patches we had against the Vikings and Bears.

He gave them their props, that's the point, what do fans expect? They are 3-0 folks, and are for real, but why do we expect the media, at this point, to start lubing our asses with praise and 24/7 coverage?

They have beaten 3 teams with losing records soundly, and it wasn't always pretty, but there is a loooong way to go, even talking heads aren't stupid enough to start annointing the Bengals' as the next great dynasty at this point.

I am enjoying it, but pointing out areas of concern is not something you stop doing when you win games.

I am not sure why this is so hard to understand.

I am enjoying it, but pointing out areas of concern is not something you stop doing when you win games.

So...the fact they haven't let another team score enough points to have a close game counts as an "area of concern"? :huh::wacko:

So...the fact they haven't let another team score enough points to have a close game counts as an "area of concern"? :huh::wacko:

As much as some people are jumping on this guy for not echoing the fanboy sentiment, it's at least a valid question in general. I've seen numerous teams face a lot of easy games, then fall on their face when challenged. More common in college with the cupcake schedules, but still. It's not an inane question.

That said, I think Carson's shown that he's not going to have a problem with that, given the comebacks he's led in the past, as aptly mentioned here already.

Actually, if there's anything that concerns me, it's the Bengals' ability to protect a small lead. They sometimes overdid it with the soft zone last year. Of course, new DC this year.

Sharpe's comments about close games are ridiculous considering last year's Ravens game and even the various rough patches we had against the Vikings and Bears.

He gave them their props, that's the point, what do fans expect? They are 3-0 folks, and are for real, but why do we expect the media, at this point, to start lubing our asses with praise and 24/7 coverage?

How long are we going to pretend the media is ignoring us? My gosh, every national commentator is talking about the Bengals constantly! I am really enjoying all the props and discussion about the Bengals. Our formerly laughing stock team is finally considered RELEVANT. It doesn't matter if some people don't think the Bengals are going to win the Super Bowl. What matters is that it is worth discussing this topic on national programs. I really love the national analysts who are admitting they were wrong (some day, I'll bet even ABC will realize they were wrong not to include the Bengals on the Monday Night Football schedule)

:D