What are your thoughts about Randy Starks?

I am know now that many of you have talked me out of thinking the Bengals will draft Cb in the first round. Now I finally agree that we can land a good corner in later rounds. What do you think about possibly drafting Randy Starks from Maryland in the first round. This guy is a beast.

He was outstanding in his sophomore season and his first year as a starter at defensive tackle … combines athleticism with an ideal defensive lineman frame … has a great burst and runs well for a player his size … totaled nearly 100 tackles from his spot on the interior line a year ago … an Iron Terp with the highest strength index (782) among defensive linemen … strength index was a 30-point improvement over last year and has him ranked as the second-strongest player, pound-for-pound, on the team … physical numbers include a 440-pound bench, a school-record 765-pound squat and a 31½-inch vertical jump.

I think he will be there around 17th pick.

B

Sounds like he would be a good pickup, but do you think he'll require a first round pick? Would he be in the second round?

My ideal for a DT would be a guy that's 400+ pounds, has cholesterol problems, has his own cheeseburger at the local grill and pub, eats 2 meals as a midnight snack.

Give me a guy that can't register on the scale, that you look at him and say to yourself, wow, that's one fat dude. Give me a guy that Richard Simmons would cringe when he waddles down the street. Give me a guy that can take the Adkins diet, put it on his ass and ____ on it. Give me a guy that has more chins than a Chinese phonebook (cheap joke). Give me a guy that puts Gilbert Brown to shame. Give me a guy that Japan is recruiting for Sumo wrestling. Give me that looks at his pending heart attack and says, JUST BRING IT!

:lol:

Kirk, do you know a lot of fat people?

I'm all with you on filling the gap on D-line, but I don't know about making the enite line consist of one man.

I think we need to go somewhere between John Thornton and Sumo Wrestler. I think Ted Washington is doing great things in New England, Grady Jackson in Green Bay and Gilbert Brown did at one point...

...but with guys that tip the scales that much injuries are a huge (no pun intended) problem. We need a big guy, no doubt, but I don't like Gilbert Brown-types. Great when they're in there, but collect a lot of $$ sitting on their gigantic rear-ends when they're constantly injured.

Sounds like he would be a good pickup, but do you think he'll require a first round pick? Would he be in the second round?

No. I don't even think he's declared yet, but most bets are leaning that way. Great Blue North has him ranked No. 3 overall among DTs and nfldraftblitz mocks him going three spots ahead of us in the first, to the Bears. If he's there at 17, he'd be a good pick.

Here's another interesting prospect: Igor Olshansky, DT, Oregon. Saw his name on a mock as the Bengals second round pick and had to check him out. After all, how many NFL players are there named Igor?

Upon review, it's clear he's named after the wrong character. He ought to be called Frankenstein, 'cause he's a monster. He's 6'6", 305, and can bench press 505 (!!). Check out the guns:

igorolshansky.gif

Some stat info from the Oregonian:

Olshansky finished the season fifth on the team with 58 tackles and led the team in fumbles recovered with three. He was second on the team (eighth in the Pacific-10 Conference) in tackles for loss with 15. Olshansky also was second on the team with 61/2 sacks.

He was selected second-team all-Pac-10 and was twice voted the team's top defensive lineman.

He looks like a 2-3 rounder right now, might work up to a solid 2 by draft day, according to the Oregonian's sports columnist. Interesting thing is the guy thinks he could have been a top 15 pick next year if he'd stayed in school. See:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian...25730261770.xml

At this point, who really knows? The draft hype machine is only now getting warmed up, and we have lots of workouts and the Combine yet to come. But just based on his solid numbers and size, he should go no later than the 4th. If he impresses in workouts, I could easily see him going in the 2nd.

The nice thing, I think, is that he just adds one more potentially good DT to what's shaping up as a pretty deep group. And that in turn makes it easier for Marvin to go after the best player available in round one. Too often in recent years the Bengals have had to fill holes with picks like Carson Palmer and Levi Jones. Not that Jones hasn't done well, and hopefully Carson will, too, but you hate to have pass up playmakers like Terrance Neuman or Jeremy Shockey because you have to fill a need.

Size and strength are great, but what's his background and what do his coaches say about him.

I remember a kid we drafted who the coaches said was so " so strong it was freaky " . Broke the weight machine during a workout. Last one to do it had been Munoz. I know most of you already know that it was "Big Daddy Wilikinson" who turned out to be " Big Duddy" here and with the skins.

Well, Olshansky's coach said he wanted him back (because he thought he'd be a first-round pick with another year of college ball) and that the Duck's loss was the NFL's gain.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian...39782234010.xml

As with Bob Sanders, I'm not pimping the guy, but both were interesting under-the-radar names I ran across & I thought I'd throw them out.

As for Wilkinson, he was hardly a dud, either here or in DC. Duds don't average 30+ tackles and 5 sacks a year, or stay healthy over a 10-year career the way Wilkinson has done. Heck, duds don't *have* 10-year NFL careers. The problem with Big Daddy was that he was the No. 1 overall pick, and as I mentioned in another thread, the expectations that come with those high picks (and big contracts for doing nothing in the NFL yet) have become virtually impossible to meet.

If we were to draft Olshansky (or any DT, for that matter) in the second, and he were to go on and have a career like Wilkinson's, we'd say he was a great pick.

Well, Olshansky's coach said he wanted him back (because he thought he'd be a first-round pick with another year of college ball) and that the Duck's loss was the NFL's gain.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian...39782234010.xml

As with Bob Sanders, I'm not pimping the guy, but both were interesting under-the-radar names I ran across & I thought I'd throw them out.

As for Wilkinson, he was hardly a dud, either here or in DC. Duds don't average 30+ tackles and 5 sacks a year, or stay healthy over a 10-year career the way Wilkinson has done. Heck, duds don't *have* 10-year NFL careers. The problem with Big Daddy was that he was the No. 1 overall pick, and as I mentioned in another thread, the expectations that come with those high picks (and big contracts for doing nothing in the NFL yet) have become virtually impossible to meet.

If we were to draft Olshansky (or any DT, for that matter) in the second, and he were to go on and have a career like Wilkinson's, we'd say he was a great pick.

Good points, and I should have read the article ( like I usually do ) before making the comments.

As to Wilkinson ....... dud may have been overstating the case, and your point about living up to expecatations would have been more accurate. I'll modify my opinion to he didn't live up to expectations but differ that they were unrealistic. Nobody was sorry to see him leave Cincinnati, and the report out of Washington was the same with him as it was with a lot of other former Bengals ........... lack of coaching. I think his last year with the skins pretty much exemplified his career.

Good points, and I should have read the article ( like I usually do ) before making the comments.

It would have helped if I'd posted that link before, too; my bad.

I'll modify my opinion to he didn't live up to expectations but differ that they were unrealistic. Nobody was sorry to see him leave Cincinnati, and the report out of Washington was the same with him as it was with a lot of other former Bengals ........... lack of coaching.

Isn't it sad that we had to hear that lack of coaching thing for so long before...aw, hell, I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

I agree that there were few tears shed for Wilkinson when he left, and really, the DC trade worked out pretty well for everyone. As to expectations being unrealistic, when I say that I mean that, for high-round picks, their expectations include "not allowed to fail." When they do, they simply get crucified. A second or third or later round pick can miss a tackle or drop a ball and not hear a "that's not the kind of play you expect out of a guy taken at his spot" type comment. The first round guy is going to hear that every time he makes a mistake, and he's gonna make mistakes simply because he's human. Heaven forbid a top choice have an average year -- the kind that would be praised in a second or third round guy -- 'cause he'll be labelled a bust in about 0.6 seconds.

Some people have a hard time dealing with that, and I can't blame them. You have to take risks, have to have the chance to fail, to really succeed. That's where I think Bengal coaching *really* failed guys like Akili Smith and Dan Wilkinson; teaching a young kid how to handle that kind of pressure professionally is the job of a coach, too.

Teaching a young kid how to handle that kind of pressure professionally is the job of a coach, too.

Judging from Marvins history with dealing with high caliber players, I don't forsee that problem continuing in Cincinnati. B)

I've said it before.. i'll say it again... If Kenechi Udeze is there at 17.. we jump on him.. natural pass rusher that also plays the strong side of the run. Go after Lavalis or Tubbs in round 2 or even Demarco McNeil, then go after our cornerback , like Richard Colcolough in round 3. We can easily find a good guard or center in rounds 5 or 6. round 4 we could draft either a wide.. or a linebacker.. 7... a punter.

I've said it before.. i'll say it again... If Kenechi Udeze is there at 17.. we jump on him.. natural pass rusher that also plays the strong side of the run. Go after Lavalis or Tubbs in round 2 or even Demarco McNeil, then go after our cornerback , like Richard Colcolough in round 3. We can easily find a good guard or center in rounds 5 or 6. round 4 we could draft either a wide.. or a linebacker.. 7... a punter.

Now that's the best draft pick scenario I've seen so far! I hope Marvin feels the same.

I've said it before.. i'll say it again... If Kenechi Udeze is there at 17.. we jump on him.. natural pass rusher that also plays the strong side of the run. Go after Lavalis or Tubbs in round 2 or even Demarco McNeil, then go after our cornerback , like Richard Colcolough in round 3.

Not a bad scenario, but I guarantee you they will spend one of their first day picks on offense, almost certainly on an offensive lineman. The only possible way I see it being the first is if Winslow is somehow still on the board at 17 (and personally I'd still go defense, but it'd be a fun pick if only because I could then come out here and watch Kirk blow a gasket! :lol:) If it's the second-round selection, they'll take a center; the third, a guard.

How about Vernon Carey from Miami. He should be available at 17. Big physical lineman that can play both g and center.

That looks to be a bit of a reach at 17 right now (Carey is projecting out right now as a late first or early second rounder) but yeah, I like Carey and the versatility he brings. But...he probably isn't BPA at 17. At least not yet. :D

I know that the Bengals need help on the d line but they also need help in the secondary and what about them taking a look at the CB Strait of Oklahoma. He looks like a hell of a playmaker, that the team needs. I think that they should address these two areas in each of the first two rounds.

Everyone that saw the Senior bowl, saw Derrick Strait look like --Strait Toast.

He was consistently picked on by the South team and was burned deep twice.

Cornerbacks have to be able to play with confidence, and judging by his practices and play during senior week, have to think he's slipped to the lower picks of round 1.

Actually i'm leaning towards DeAngelo Hall. Can't take away the thing that can't be coached. 4.3 speed, rumored to be 4.15 plus living down here in the south we see a lot of Va Tech games. Have to admit the kids a playmaker.

I'f i'm drafting a cornerback, just give me a guy that can flat out run. I'll coach the rest you know.?

plus he's a top notch return man.3 touchdowns this year on punts, let alone the fumble and 2 picks returned for touchdowns as well.

I'm not saying he's deion, but very deionesque'. and i've met Deion Sanders, anyone who believes he's 6-1 is a damn fool.