Do Brat, Marvin, and Zampese agree?

walzav29

The only thing I've seen lately is an item in pfw's whispers column, citing "a source close to the Bengals," that Palmer would be given "every opportunity" to win the starter's job in camp. I didn't give it much thought because it seemed so obvious (given Marv's reluctance to say who'll start next year). But at the very least it seems Marvin is OK with giving the kid a shot, I can't see how Zampese would be unhappy (after working with Warner/Bulger, developing CP would cement his rep as a QB guru), and even Kitna seems OK with a challenge. That leaves only Brat, and really, CP is a no-lose proposition for him: if Palmer comes in and wins, it vindicates his system, if CP comes in and loses, people will chalk it up to his being a rook.

The only thing I've seen lately is an item in pfw's whispers column, citing "a source close to the Bengals," that Palmer would be given "every opportunity" to win the starter's job in camp. I didn't give it much thought because it seemed so obvious (given Marv's reluctance to say who'll start next year). But at the very least it seems Marvin is OK with giving the kid a shot, I can't see how Zampese would be unhappy (after working with Warner/Bulger, developing CP would cement his rep as a QB guru), and even Kitna seems OK with a challenge. That leaves only Brat, and really, CP is a no-lose proposition for him: if Palmer comes in and wins, it vindicates his system, if CP comes in and loses, people will chalk it up to his being a rook.

Marvis Lewis has said in the paper today that he will name a starting qb by the time they get to their first vol. mini camp. No qb competition. He will evaluate, make a decision, and stick to it.

Kitna seemed to agree and said if they had wanted to have a qb competition that he would have told them he would be the back up and cede the job to Palmer.

Very interesting really ................... I can see Lewis wanting to in with a confirmed starter, but why would Kitna automatically cede to Palmer ??? As usual, I think there's more to this than what's in the paper.

By the way the article is in todays Enquirer on line. I believe there is a similar article on Bengals.com.

Opinions ?????? Theories ????????? Wildass guesses ???????????

I saw one Bratkowski interview. It was like listening to a pre - recorded message from coach Lewis. Early in the year, I read an interview that Hobson had done with Zampese. As I recall, he said that Palmer was doing fine and that it was already easy to tell that he was the most talented qb on the team. Given that the other 2 were Kitna and Matthews, I wasn't really sure how much of a compliment that really was. He also gave Kitna high marks for his overall knowledge of the game and leadership abilities.

Bottom line is ..... yeah ! I think all of them are pretty much on the same page. Lewis tells them what he wants, and how they get it done is up to them ....... BUT get it done. I don't think Marvins Lewis is the type that allows a lot of people either on the team or on the staff to go off on tangents. Remeber what he said when asked what he had learned in his first year ?????? Don't let anything or anybody get in the way of winning. Pretty much sums it up doesn't it ??

Marvis Lewis has said in the paper today that he will name a starting qb by the time they get to their first vol. mini camp. No qb competition. He will evaluate, make a decision, and stick to it.

Actually, he said there would "probably" not be a QB competition in the paper; as per usual, nothing was ruled out. The bengals.com story is even foggier, saying only that there will be a "first-team QB" for the minicamp (and Hobson helpfully highlights that the front-runners for the position are Palmer and Kitna! What a scoop!).

I think the decision to name a starter by camp and give him the bulk of snaps in preparation for the season is a good one. But if he's intent on making the call by the first minicamp, then the only reason I can see for his not going ahead and making it now (after all, what more is there to see of either of the two QBs?) is free agency and the draft. If, after the offseason additions and deletions he's happy with the state of things at RB, on the o-line, and in the defense, I think Palmer gets the call. On the other hand, if the cards don't fall their way in the offseason (especially in the RB and o-line departments, IMHO) then Kitna gets the call.

... then the only reason I can see for his not going ahead and making it now (after all, what more is there to see of either of the two QBs?) is free agency and the draft. If, after the offseason additions and deletions he's happy with the state of things at RB, on the o-line, and in the defense, I think Palmer gets the call. On the other hand, if the cards don't fall their way in the offseason (especially in the RB and o-line departments, IMHO) then Kitna gets the call.

I agree with that. I think he wants to stabilize or upgrade all areas around Palmer before putting him in there for good. Even if Kitna does get the start, does anyone think he will play all the snaps in every game again?

During the middle of the season, when things were still uncertain, Lance McAlister asked Bob Trumpy for his timetable on when Palmer should start. Trumpy said that when you can look at Palmer and he can tell you why Kitna just changed the play at the line and that you are convinced that he knows what he actually saw on the field and can explain it to you , then you make the change. Lance then countered that game experience is the only way to know for sure.

Kitna seemed to agree and said if they had wanted to have a qb competition that he would have told them he would be the back up and cede the job to Palmer.

I think Kitna definitely is a team-first guy, and I like that he has sounded willing, even excited about sticking around to back up Palmer and help him grow. I think we all agree that Kitna's strength is his knowledge of the game and the offense. That will give Palmer a great guy to talk to outside of the coaching circle. A guy who's been in the mix of this offense and done a solid job with it. He can help Palmer figure out what audibles and changes to make and what some of these defenses look like lined up across from him, not from above and on film.

I even heard Kitna talk about a willingness to restructure his contract to free up cap space and stick around...all the while, knowing he may be wearing a headset and a Bengals cap next year, instead of the striped helmet.

I also agree that Marvin is waiting to see what kind of off season developments are made to shore up RB, Oline and Defense, before he makes a QB decision. Give Palmer confidence by surrounding players before sending him out there.

Joisey - The word probably is in the article just as you said. So is the phrase most likely. I took " most likely " to be a reference to the time frame more than as an out for another option. Same as when asked if they would have a competition and he replied " we probably won't do that ".

I agree with what you said about how things shake out in the free agent market and the draft, but I also think that his mind is already pretty well made up. He's yet to do something that he said he probably wouldn't do since he came here that I can think of.

He could be leaving himself an out in case something doesn't go as he thinks it should, but barring any major changes, I look for him to name Palmer the starter just as he said prior to the first min camp.

Of course I also thought he'd wait to do it till pre season too so ............

... but I also think that his mind is already pretty well made up.

I look for him to name Palmer the starter just as he said prior to the first mini camp.

I amy have mentioned this on a previous thread, but the fact that they gave Palmer most (if not all) of the reps during the bye week was a big thing. At the time they were 1-4 and just lost a tough one to the Bills. But they rallied and beat the Ravens and the Seahawks to get to 3-4. Had they lost one or both of those games I think they might have made a change then. Of course Johnny the Cockroach proved us wrong and gave us a November to remember!

But I think they might have been close to making a move mid-season if things hadn't gone the way they did. And as stated previously, did anyone think that Kit would be the only QB in the NFL to take all his teams' snaps?

And as stated previously, did anyone think that Kit would be the only QB in the NFL to take all his teams' snaps?

I didn't think Kitna would make it past the fourth game before Palmer was pressed into action. For Jon to go the whole year injury free to boot is equally amazing, considering how many times he found himself at the bottom of a sack pile! Then again, he is built pretty stout, almost lineman-ish in build.

Johnny the Cockroach? Are you against Kitna? I couldn't tell with your sarcasm oozing out of my computer screen. drip drip.

I agree, I think Kitna was one poor performance away from losing his job and rightly so, he struggled early but was the best AFC Offensive guy in November and in that conference, that speaks volumes.

Johnny the Cockroach? Are you against Kitna? I couldn't tell with your sarcasm oozing out of my computer screen. drip drip.

I love Jon! I wasn't dissing him at all. He called himself a coachroach during an interview after he won player of the month, saying that he is hard to kill, etc. I meant nothing against him at all. Sorry if I gave anyone that impression. :unsure:

I agree with what you said about how things shake out in the free agent market and the draft, but I also think that his mind is already pretty well made up. He's yet to do something that he said he probably wouldn't do since he came here that I can think of.

Oh, I agree, I think he's a good 90% of the way to his final decision, and I too think it'll be Palmer. But I don't blame him for keeping his options open.

He called himself a coachroach during an interview

He called himself a coachroach? :lol:

There's a lot of Kitna-haters here -- and I understand why -- so I have to pick a fight if I feel Kitna is getting drilled.

He said it with a smile on his face. I think he was trying to say that he is a survivor.

He called himself a coachroach during an interview

He called himself a coachroach? :lol:

There's a lot of Kitna-haters here -- and I understand why -- so I have to pick a fight if I feel Kitna is getting drilled.

The cockroach reference was from an interview he did. He said that he was like a cockroach because every time you thought you had gotten rid of him and that he was dead and gone, you turned around and he was still there. He's harder to get rid of than roaches.

On other ocassions, he's said his wife had said it about him too. When he was asked about how he was able to take hits without getting injured, he said "body fat". Among his qualities is a very self deprecating sense of humor.

Oh, I agree, I think he's a good 90% of the way to his final decision, and I too think it'll be Palmer. But I don't blame him for keeping his options open.

Another " Marvinism " is ......... you can't rule anything out.

Just from listening to him, he strikes me as the kind who walks into a room and makes mental note of where all the doors and windows are. Like most head coaches, the man is just naturally shrewd by design.

You are all assuming that 50 million $$$ means you get to play. This may have been true BEFORE the Lewis era, but as coach has repeatedly said: "The best players play."

There is no reason to change quarterbacks, unless kitna gets outplayed.

I'm taking the long odds everyone here will give me betting kitna will be the starter opening day. :o

Doesn't anyone remember drafting Jack Thompson to replace Kenny Anderson? But he just couldn't outplay the old vet. Thompson was eventually traded to the Bucs.

I'm not against Palmer, but the top picks for this franchise are historically BUSTS! :ph34r:

Doesn't anyone remember drafting Jack Thompson to replace Kenny Anderson? But he just couldn't outplay the old vet. Thompson was eventually traded to the Bucs.

I'm not against Palmer, but the top picks for this franchise are historically BUSTS! :ph34r:

I like Kitna. He gave us our best chance to win all year long. And he might do the same next year, too. Only Marvin knows where this thing is headed.

But compare this situation to Kenny and Jack Thompson? Compare Kitna to Kenny? KENNY!!??

I find this to be pure blasphemy. Duck, dude. You're about to be hit by a lightning bolt.