Free Agents

WHO DEY AGAIN?

Enough with the Warren Sapp wish list .. Geez...

He ain't coming here,cause our wallets aren't big enough, and his head couldn't get through the door anyway.

Erik Hicks ....... Erik Hicks...? are you f*%@ing kidding me..

let's get someone like Antawan Odom from alabama.. or Marcus Spears from Lsu... or Marquise Hill from Lsu..

kansas city's defense was worse than ours was this year..

did anyone see E.Hicks make a play that entire game..? or any for that matter this year ..?

Enough with the Warren Sapp wish list .. Geez...

He ain't coming here,cause our wallets aren't big enough, and his head couldn't get through the door anyway.

Erik Hicks ....... Erik Hicks...?  are you  f*%@ing kidding me..

let's get someone like Antawan Odom from alabama.. or Marcus Spears from Lsu... or Marquise Hill from Lsu..

kansas city's defense was worse than ours was this year..

did anyone see E.Hicks make a play that entire game..? or any for that matter this year ..?

Odom? Spears? Hill? All just hopes and prayers really.

Both guys I mentioned know about winning in the pros. There's a huge transition between college, and the pros. These guys come from teams playing above the 50 percentile above league average. If you haven't noticed, the Bengals aren't in there. Not even close. Can you believe it? And with all those equally good previous high draft choices. Wassup with that?

Your picks in the draft are no different than all the very good picks the Bengals had before. We need someone who knows how to win in the pros, and how to do it now. It's called attitude. It only comes from winning at this level in the past.

If it came from winning in college, we would already have a s**tload of it, now wouldn't we? I'm hoping Carson Palmer is your wet dream, because he certainly is mine! Then the Bengals can finally point to the draft and say, "Hey, this charade of mumbo jumbo finally worked for us." Who currently on this team is our savior that we got from all the high draft picks we had in the past? ?????????? That's what I thought. And after so many years of high picks too! Well my money is on Carson. And at the moment, he's the lone ranger here. No one else from the almighty draft has stepped up to make a name for themselves!

And by the way, Eric Hicks is far better and proven than anything the Bengals have mustered at defensive end. If you watched the entire Chiefs season, as I've been forced to do out here, you would have seen someone better than what we currently have at the same position.

Oh, and he'd fit well under our salary cap. (I can see all the bean counters breakin' out their pencils now!) You seem to forget, we're talking about spending Mike Browns money here. If he's not up to resigning most of our free agents, he ain't gonna dump a wad of cash on any of these false messiahs!

Everyone thinks just because you were good in the little leagues, you'll be great here. Like big names from previous drafts that floundered in the pros...Brian Bosworth, David Klingler, or ANY of our Bengals countless high draft choices. They havent done diddly squat. The draft is SOOO over rated, it borders on insanity! Tim Couch for the Browns? Oh right. He's been so good that he can't keep his starting job! Just another example of the draft.

Look at it as professionals do in the workplace, a.k.a. the real world? You must first do the job to become a commodity. Just because you got good grades in gym class at school doesn't make you king s**t in the workforce. There is far to much risk involved, not to mention the money that goes along with it to trust an unproven player. This is a totally different animal, and that animal eats most of them up.

I'm hoping I'm way wrong on this draft thing, especially with Palmer coming up this season. History suggests I'm not, but if I am, the Bengals will freakin' explode with MVP's!!

And finally, the New York Yankees, the sports dynasty that all others are compared to, is the prime example of getting proven veteran players, and what that does for a franchise. They only seem to go to the World Series every goddam year!

By the way Chris-h-cov-ga...even though I definitely don't agree with your post, I find it interesting. Please feel free to rebut me at any opportunity, and I'm sure I left many! I just feel that if the draft was a viable conduit to success, we'd be there already, and be standing there with seniority. But alas, we're not. B)

What we need on at DT is two 400 LB linemen that help the linebackers roam free. Then we need two CBs that can cover.

We need a TEAM on defense, not a bunch of players that everyone believes will be the next greatest D player, nor do we need big name FAs. We need guys that have no names, stay in their lanes, make tackles you should, cover your guys.

Chris - You throw names out like nothing, you need to follow up with why these guys are good. You haven't convinced me of anyone in the draft we should pick up and WHY! I understand you know the draft, and I understand that you watch these guys and respect your opinion, but at least give us why you think we should draft these guys.

And finally, the New York Yankees, the sports dynasty that all others are compared to, is the prime example of getting proven veteran players, and what that does for a franchise. They only seem to go to the World Series every goddam year!

This would be true, if every team were equal. Do I really think that any mid-west team could challenge the Yankees? No. Hell the Yanks had to give up some $50 million because they went over the luxury tax, the same tax that every other team abides by. But I understand that you are trying to make a point, and good point it is.

The draft is SOOO over rated, it borders on insanity!

No, it isn't. It's *over-hyped* but not overrated. After all, just about every good player in the league was drafted, right?

The point that a lot of fans appear to miss -- and what I think you're getting at -- is that the draft is where you get your building blocks for the future, not your immediate help. No matter how good a kid is in college, it's a rare one who comes in and makes a big impact from day one.

Like I stated before on one of these many Posts... Warren Sapp is going to garner a salary close to what he's getting now and that's in the 6+ million dollar range money we just don't have to spend on one guy.. if we did..

None of us would be crying about the poor performance of Kevin Hardy at middle linebacker , because we would have resigned Tko...

Secondly.. when you look at proven veterans.. Show me..anywhere in Erik Hicks' career, that he's put up in one season the stats that Duane Clemons gave us this year..

Now granted their not pro bowl worty.. but i can think of 6-sacks.. more than 5 tipped passes.. 3 of which led to interceptions.. a couple of forced fumbles.. and a fumble recovery..

Team speaking.. you have to have players (great or not) that fill certain needs to make a defense work.. ex..

starting up front with the dt's.. the 3 dt.. is your run stopper/pocket pusher...not asked to get high sacks.. but what he does, is.. push the pocket to force quarterbacks into the stunts and rush of the defensive ends,something that Warren Sapp is not.. He's the gap dt.. He's the pass rusher.. he doesn't make a lot of plays in chase.. he makes them in his gap.. and because he has a very good de,next to him.. and Booger Mcfarland to push the pocket,he gets the stats that he does.Paying Warren Sapp, 6 million dollars to do a job that he needs someone else to provide him..(opportunities) doesn't make sense to me.. anyone remember Sean Gilbert..???

We dont' have a defensive end (and Hicks -ain't the answer) to have a 3' technique dt. We got by with Clemons and Smith this year...

Smith could put up double digit sack numbers,if he has a good big man to push the pocket next to him...

that's why i like .. chad lavalis, marcus tubbs, and Demarco Mcneil in the draft.. their talented.. but we're not asking them to be stars, so in 5 years they can go to other teams,or ask for ridiculous amounts of money..their brought in to fill a role that we don't have with Tony Williams.

We need help at Defensive End because Clemons will be 31 this year or 32, and we don't have anyone behind him !

John thornton would make more plays in chase , if he had a "wide load " like Marcus tubbs in round 2 to push, and we would probably have better mid. lb. play from whoever if he didn't have to run into a guard or center, because we don't have the size up front to play a gap control style of defense.

That's why i said put Hardy back at Strong Side,to eliminate the cut back and nullify things like screens,draws etc..

Now i sincerely hope that i have " clarified " things.. this is just general information..

when I look at the draft.. i'm not looking for the next Strahan or Simion Rice.. i'm looking for what could we add, to make our system work.. oh and by the way .. get the best player available (that also ) fills a need.

That's why the draft is the crapshoot it is..

Teams often times take a guy based purely on need, not knowing if he could play in a system..

No team is doing anything new... Every Offense and Every Defense basically runs the same plays...; the disguise is.. they do it with the proper personel.. and coaching..

Akili Smith couldn't read defenses coming out of College...

Tim Couch played in the Run and Shoot at kentucky....

that's got disaster written all over it.. but Bruce Coslet was too much of a "chicken s**t " to push mike Brown into the trade with Mike Ditka ,and the rest is history.Oh and Bruce Coslet admitted that !!!!!!!

The fact is... Justin Smith has talent.. but wasn't worth that high of a pick,because of his short arms.. We needed Richard Seymour or Marcus Stroud .

Great post, completely agree. More about Justin Smith; he'd get more numbers if he weren't double teamed all of the time. We need guys at DT that are huge, that stop the Olines against them from creating holes, pushing them back into the QB, we need big old fat uglies.

Putting Hardy on the outside, I have doubts. While he may take away the cut back, offenses would find too many mismatches against Hardy throwing over the top. He'd struggle against the pass.

I want Abdullah on the outside with Simmons and see if we can find the future of MLB in this draft -- regardless of who it is. I'm very pro-Abdullah. I think he's fast, strong and quick. He convinced me of his play in the pre-season. We may see him more if Ross doesn't come back or doesn't improve his play. Adbullah reminds me of Dat Nguyen (sp) out in Dallas.

I agree to some point..... but i think Khalid's speed could be more useful inside..... If he had big bodies on the line in front.. he could chase.. and play passing lanes..

Hardy gives us size in the middle.. but doesn't play passing lanes well.. and doesn't take good angles to the quarterback when blitzing..

If we draft D.J. williams.. or a Rod Davis... they could give us size and the athleticism.. to play the middle..

I love Williams.. not sold on Vilma...

Also.. another good linebacker .. not alot of people know about.. is Roderick Green from a small school.. like Central Alabama , or something like that..(lol), but think he's got a lot of potential to play the strong side.. kinda reminds me of Joey Porter...

Thanks for the link JoiseyCat! They have a 2 round mock with underclassmen who should come out. If anyone else has some links please share. :D

No prob. Actually, there's a good compendium of links at profootballtalk.com, (thou Dante's act gets old after about the second update). The direct link is:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft.htm

That ought to help you kill a few hours.

thats a awesome site there....I like how big ben is # 1

I say we take Jonathon Vilma with pick #1

trade corey dillion for a second and third round pick. Take Chris Perry(rb from mich) with with 2nd round pick from dillion, and take

Antwan Odom with or second round pick.

with our 3rd round pick (from the dillion trade) we take brandon everage (s from oklahoma) and with our third round pick we take Randy jordon(cb from kansas state)

but thats just me

That's why the draft is the crapshoot it is..

Teams often times take a guy based purely on need, not knowing if he could play in a system..

Yessir! My point exactly! I lived in 'Vegas for five years, and I know quite well the game of craps. It's by far my favorite. But..I will tell you this: If you stand at the table long enough...you're gonna lose. The odds are against you, and you can't fight the odds. They win EVERY f**kIN' TIME!!

It's no different than the draft. If I was an owner of an NFL team, I wouldn't use any draft pick awarded to us EXCEPT...as trade bait. Give me someone that knows how to do the job!

Lets put it in terms we can all relate to. For example lets say...women. Take a virgin for instance. Oooohhh!! Sounds sooo exciting, and it is! That is until you find out this hot little prospect that looks so freakin' good...doesn't know a goddam thing about what she's supposed to be doin' here!! Next thing ya' know, you've gone from happy participant, to a sex 101 instructor. (Ow! Ow! sweetheart...could you watch the teeth? That's not salt water taffy ya' know!)

Give me a woman that's experienced and aged like a fine wine. She's well seasoned, and she knows how to do things...things that I want done, specifically to me!! Don't give me some rookie who's fumbling around, unsure of what to do! Give me someone who can take the ball and run with it!

See what I'm getting at here? Let some other team take the risk, and go through the all too painfull training ritual. God help 'em. From there, use your picks to upsurp these players from their school home, and into your system as you see fit.

I can't believe anyone does this any other way, but, as we've seen from many a previous draft here in Cincy...a fool and his money are soon parted! B)

On the bright side you show her only the things you like..

Yes you do...but will she remember how to do it again, and again, and again. Anyone with ANY experience with women will tell you that that is the hard part! :rolleyes:

So soon they forget! Then you find yourself back down in the bar/free agent market because this stupid bitch can't get it figured out! Now don't you wish you had a draft pick to trade up with!!

Can I get a HELL YEAH!!

(I'm sorry if that last statement seemed unsympathetic to stupid bitches, but to be honest...there's just as many stupid SONS OF bitches out there to pair up evenly!!) :D