Bengals All-Time Team - Fullbacks

Kirkendall

Ok, I checked out the old thread and so I'll start with my argument for Ickey Woods.

IF, we say, and that's up to you all I guess, but IF we are building a team that hypothetically is playing a "greatest of all time game" with all of our favorite guys on the field IN THEIR PRIMES then you have to say that based on what he could do when he was healthy and what he did for us (super bowl?) when he was healthy the choice has to be Ickey Woods. If we factor in longevity, career numbers, and all of that then he's got no chance. But if we are looking to put together the best possible team of guys to ever play for the Bengals, based on their best years for the Bengals, then I would want Ickey up front any day. Plus, fullback is an odd position and it really depends on the scheme, the player, etc. as to how he will be used and thus what kinds of numbers he will put up. Lorenzo neal has almost nothing in the way of numbers, but could be considered a great fullback because blocking was the name of the game and he was one of the best. There are many other examples. If we look at Ickey in his prime, he was an excellent blocker for Brooks and provided such a dynamic threat to run and score that I think he absolutely has to be the fullback on my all time bengals team.

Sorry...I really wish Ickey could have stayed healthy...he would have been an all-time great.

yep, i'd go for ickey woods- probably as i never saw pete johnson play, and ickey was such a huge factor in our fantastic 88 season. such a shame it didn't continue due to injuries etc. A 1000 yard full back would be a great help to any team!!

Ickey, just because of the impact he had on the image of the Bengals. When people think of the Bengals, one of the thing they think of is the Ickey Shuffle. Pete Johnson might have been the better player, but if you ask a Cowboys fan who Pete Johnson is, they're going to have no idea.

Ickey, just because of the impact he had on the image of the Bengals. When people think of the Bengals, one of the thing they think of is the Ickey Shuffle. Pete Johnson might have been the better player, but if you ask a Cowboys fan who Pete Johnson is, they're going to have no idea.

I'd rather have a dependable starter for years over a one year wonder.

It's kind of like comparing The Rolling Stones to React. Sure, React has one of the perpetual club favorite tunes (Let's Go All the Way), but nothing else. On the other hand, The Stones had album after album full of hits for a LONG time.

Personally, I'll stick with the proven winner over the one year wonder.

Pete Johnson hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ickey was a halfback, Stanley Wilson was the fullback.

For those of you who are too young to remember Pete Johnson, I remember him in the '76 season, maybe later, he carried Lambert and Ham 5 yards downfield. Lambert and Ham are 2 of the best all time LBs. Many times he was not tackled they just blew the whistle saying his forward motion was stopped. The only way to tackle him was below the knees. Archie Griffin and Charles Alexander were the halfbacks he played with.

I know this is about Fullbacks but I am new to this board.

The most exciting halfback I ever saw was Essex Johnson. He was less than 5'8" but his best runs were between the tackles. He would disappear in the mass of humanity in the middle of the field and somehow pop out the other side. The only one that would catch him was the safety.

Dan Ross was the best TE the Bengals ever had. I believe he had 89 catches 1 year.

Lemar Parrish the best CB all time. Ken Riley had more INTs lifetime but they did not throw to LP's side often. Krumrie and Mike Reid best DT. Jim LeClair Best MLB.

I can't really vote for Pete Johnson because I have never seen him play. I knew who Ickey was when I was like five years old. My youth is what is keeping me from voting for Pete Johnson.

Great point.

I can't really vote for Pete Johnson because I have never seen him play. I knew who Ickey was when I was like five years old. My youth is what is keeping me from voting for Pete Johnson.

if you can't vote for someone because you didn't see them play, you shouldn't be voting on an All Time Team. You should create thread "Bengals All-Time Team Starting at Week 4 of the 1986 Season Because That's the First Game I Remember Seeing.

thats kinda dumb.  so what ur saying is the only ppl that can vote are the ones that are over 50?

Or who have watched old games, or researched stats.

Otherwise, Jeremi Johnson might end up our #1 fullback of all time!

exactly. I was 14 in 1988 and have managed to collect every game of 1988 on video. I didn't see a ton of Pete Johnson. Maybe I remember a game or two. But resources are easily found around here to help your decision. The team existed furthur back than the first game you saw (most of you). It's an All Time Team. By not looking up the numbers, you're voting on your personal All Time Favorite Team in which I think Ickey would win in a run away and definitely get my vote.

This is a tricky topic because with both Ickey and PJ, they had very effective backfields. at least 15 plays a game Brooks lined up at the fullback and Ickey lined up as the halfback. So Brooks got a lot of counters from FB slot and Ickey got a ton carries as a halfback. Same with Pete having Charles Alexander. Outside of 4 carries in January 1982, that guy did everything. He was the leading rusher in team history for 7 years until Brooks broke it. All that out of the fullback slot. And let's even joke about the quality of the line from the early 80's to the late 80's. That late 80's line was the best in the game.

What's cool about these all-time Bengals teams, is you get a collision of eras, and personalities. Some of the younger fans can learn about the older players from some of the older fans.

SEE, it's all about family. :D

It's an All Time Team.

Remember though. It's a vote. The results 10 times out of 10, will be based off popularity, as with any vote (uuuhumm, Dubya) -- most, but not all, of which are always based off actual performances (Joisey, don't say a word! :lol: ).

ya since its posted in a fan forum its more of a fan vote than an actual vote. if u want an actual list by stats, longevity, etc, then u will have to have a group of unbiased ppl, otherwise not from this site, to do it. otherwise u'd have to have the bengals themselves do it.

Say what you will about who should vote for All-Time teams, but there's no way a player's touchdown dance should be even be part of the criterea. It's like saying we deserve to win the Super Bowl because we have the coolest uniforms. At least try to make the argument that Ickey's one good year was good enough to overrule long-term success.

And by the way, I never saw Jim Brown play, but I wouldn't be arguing against him in any All-Time situations.