Landon to Strong Safety?

Critical Mass

So what are we going to do with Thurman, Simmons, Pollack, Lan J, Nate and Hardy?

Well, Hardy looks marginal (look at the film) and Nate may be toast. Still we have 4 talented bodies for three positions.

Last year the Sporting News War room noted that Lan J could motor well with most backs and TE and good range too... and we know he can hit........

And since we did not get a SS............ what about putting him there....... might be a 2005 version of Fulcher

Mainly because Marvin said no linebacker on the roster has the skills to be a safety. End of Discussion. In Marvin's and Chuck's defense, a safety MUST have skills to cover WRs and let's face it, Landon just isn't quick enough or agile enough to cover a WR. Do you really want to see Landon struggle attempting to cover a WR running a drag route over the middle?

Landon Johnson is a LB, he will not become a safety, and they will not be switching to a 3-4, and no WR's will be converting to TE.

That's my guess.

I expect Marvin will rotate the young guys in and out next year, including Pollack, until they solidify/separate themselves from the pack.

I also really hope they just get rid of Hardy - great team guy but of no use to this team at all anymore, too slow, too inconsistent, and has a big cap #.

Marvin Lewis has said doesn't like strong safeties and free safeties. He prefers two safeties and two corners, all of which are interchangeable.

Don't look for a run stuffing safety who plays in the box, because you probably won't get one.

He'd also proly prefer that Jam, Bettis, and Staley didn't run over them.

The versatility of the DBs is there but there's times when that ain't gonna get it done, just like having unrealistic expectations of outmatched personnel in the front 7 didn't get it done enough vs. the run last year.

Kim Herring and KK are better safeties right now than anyone else on the roster named Madieu.

Again the infatuation with that position here and converting people must end at all costs.

Unless someone is signed in FA, can't see that changing, get used to it.

Caleb Miller will be special teams/back-up fodder as usual, and nothing more here. The guy can't make an open field tackle against a big back to save his life at LB, what makes anyone think he can convert to safety and do the same thing but also cover WR's? Ain't gonna happen.

Again the infatuation with that position here and converting people must end at all costs.

Maybe you oughta mention that to Marvin...from bengals.com:

Cornerback Reggie Myles, who has successfully gone to head coach Marvin Lewis requesting a look at safety, is heartened by the Bengals not drafting a defensive back for just the second time in their history. “It tells me Marvin (Lewis) has confidence in the guys we have here.” The last time he played safety?

“For the University of Alabama. December 28, 2001 in the Independence Bowl,” said Myles, who says he played safety for three seasons during a college career in which he had nine interceptions.

Maybe you oughta mention that to Marvin...from bengals.com:

Cornerback Reggie Myles, who has successfully gone to head coach Marvin Lewis requesting a look at safety, is heartened by the Bengals not drafting a defensive back for just the second time in their history. “It tells me Marvin (Lewis) has confidence in the guys we have here.” The last time he played safety?

“For the University of Alabama. December 28, 2001 in the Independence Bowl,” said Myles, who says he played safety for three seasons during a college career in which he had nine interceptions.

Well, I think Shula was referring more toward trying to make a LB into a S. I agree that is not going to happen mostly because ML said it was not going to happen (the move, that is. as for the conversation? people will type whatever comes through their heads).

It's not all that unusual for a CB to get some work at S and vice versa, is it? It has happened plenty that I can think of.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Caleb could be a safety..... he is not much of a linebacker.

Since Marvin has been here, our defense has gotten worse...... the drafts seem to emphasize receivers (now 10 on the roster)........... our run defense is clearly worse the past two years and the whole D line gets pushed around..... seems like more D tackle help would have been better, and if you don't have that, you better have someone who can come up and limit the big run....... course with our D.... we get burned a lot no matter........ do you think firing Frazier will be a plus (hope so)......... what is Bresnahan's record & pedigree......? :player:

Chuck Bresnahan, From Bengals.Com

PLAYING AND COACHING HISTORY — 1979-82: Played LB at U.S. Naval Academy. 1983: Graduate assistant coach, Navy. 1986: Assistant coach (AC), Navy. 1987-91: AC, Georgia Tech. 1992-93: Defensive coordinator/LBs coach, Maine. 1994-95: AC, Cleveland Browns. 1996-97: AC, Indianapolis Colts. 1998-99: AC, Oakland Raiders. 2000-03: Defensive coordinator, Oakland Raiders. 2004: Joins Bengals as assistant coach. 2005: Defensive coordinator, Bengals.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Caleb could be a safety..... he is not much of a linebacker.

Sadly, this reminds me of something I caught while watching the "In Their Own Words" special on Marvin Lewis. About half way through they show a clip of Marvin working the room during a team meeting as the Bengals prepared for the first game against Cleveland. (Ugghh.) Anyways, for a brief moment there was a shot of Marvin standing infront of a large screen showing some bulletin points. Curious, I backtracked with my Tivo and then froze the image on the screen. Here's what the screen showed from top to bottom. The section below shown in bold print was also highlighted on the screen, no doubt to motivate Miller.

A Great Place To Start

* Browns aim to improve in the Red Zone

* A non winning attitude

* Bengals feel sense of disappointment, not dread

- After the Browns Lee Suggs ran over the Bengals for 186 yards and two touchdowns in the 2003 season finale, Lewis developed a plan to upgrade his unit. It involved adding speed in the back and size up front. Webster was lost for the season with a knee injury in the third game against Baltimore. His replacement is a rookie third-round draft pick Caleb Miller, who at 225 pounds is too light to stop anybody.

* One Game At A Time

what kind of idiot says KK and Harring are better than Madieu. You need to go to rehab, smoke another , or just watch one game this year. NO LINEBACKER WILL BE A SAFTEY... I"LL BET MY RIGHT ARM ON IT. Corner to saftey... only if he proves he can tackle. Just wait it is one possition we will be dropping salery in Hardy and there will be a few good safteys that will be cut from somewhere. Including possibly Darius Donovan.

Zona signed Griffith.

Eric Brown cut from Texans looks like the best left. I think Bengals are done personally. Herring is ML's solution there IMO but if he goes done, it thins quick and Madieu gets the call. Proly one of the rookie free agents there sticks, though.

After June 1, who knows? Maybe there's a worthwhile SS cut who can interchange.

Zona signed Griffith.

Eric Brown cut from Texans looks like the best left. I think Bengals are done personally. Herring is ML's solution there IMO but if he goes done, it thins quick and Madieu gets the call. Proly one of the rookie free agents there sticks, though.

After June 1, who knows? Maybe there's a worthwhile SS cut who can interchange.

So our safeties are..

Madieu Williams

Kim Herring

Mel Mitchell

and for some god awful reason Kevin Kaesviharn... C'mon Patrick Body, C'Mon Patrick Body.... :lol:

I have to tell you this story.... A couple of years ago, Cincy' came to Atlanta during the infamous 2 and 14 season on espn sunday night. Now I consider myself quite the Bengals die-hard, but I draw the line when it comes to dressing up like the players on game-day.

Needless to say , there were just as many Bengal fans there at the Georgia Dome, as there were Falcons' fans ( No Vick fever yet ), and I saw a guy dressed in full Bengals uniform. I'm talking, cleats,knee pads, shoulder pads, eye-black, helmet in hand and for some reason.. He was wearing # 34 kevin Kaesviharns number..??

* The sad part about all of this, is he was wearing the " away " jersey and the " real " team wore their home jerseys !

I love the Bengals, but even I'm scared of guys that dress like that, because

" They're your biggest Fan ".. :unsure::wacko:

I've got the ANSWER for the Bengals -- WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR ;):rolleyes:B):blink:

Draft Jimmy Williams, 6-2 1/2 217 Virginia Tech CB :P

While I really do believe Jimmy Williams would be an excellent pick next year -- this year I trust Marvin when he did NOT draft any of the available LARGE SS. ML has a plan and is sticking to that plan. IMO he knows what he wants and has NOT seen that in any of the current candidates (on the field or in the draft). I believe that Marvin will find a way to make what we have work.

IN MARVIN I TRUST B):lol: :player:

It looks like Herring and Madieu are it, so far.....

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...280379/1066/SPT

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Williams, Herring look like solid bets at safety

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

Kim Herring and Madieu Williams might be the Bengals' starting safeties this season.

Williams, coming off a rookie season in which he started 13 games and totaled 95 tackles and three interceptions, is expected to be the team's free safety.

"I feel pretty good," Williams said Wednesday after arriving at the team's offseason strength and conditioning program. "I'm anxious to get things going and get back in the fold a little bit and get ready for camps. It definitely feels good coming back for the second year."

Herring, who made 10 starts in 12 games, probably will be in a heated competition with several players at strong safety.

Herring, an eight-year veteran, has played both safety positions.

The Bengals did not draft a safety last weekend, though head coach Marvin Lewis labeled it one of the team's many priorities.

Herring signed with the Bengals in March 2004 after missing the 2003 season with the Rams because of a broken forearm. He was not at full strength last spring and could not work out as thoroughly as he is now.

"I couldn't do a lot of things," he said. "I couldn't bench press. I could only work on my legs."

Playing strong safety, which is closer to the line and more engaged in run defense, does not involve any special physical or mental preparation, he said. Herring would not have to add weight to his 210-pound frame.

"Weight's no problem," he said. "In this game, it's just a matter of keeping it through the course of the year."

REUNITED? Former Steelers and Seahawks linebacker Chad Brown visited Pittsburgh Wednesday and said he would like to talk to Lewis about opportunities in Cincinnati. Lewis was Brown's position coach with the Steelers.

BAUMAN RE-UPS: The Bengals signed cornerback Rashad Bauman to a one-year contract. He was a restricted free agent and is believed to have signed a tender worth $656,000.

Bauman will be a fourth-year player and is entering his second with the Bengals.

Last year he played in the Bengals' first four games but missed the rest of the season because of injuries. He was acquired on waivers from Washington on Sept. 6.

FREE AGENTS: The Bengals erected portable metal lockers in the Paul Brown Stadium locker room this week, in preparation for the arrival of 24 free agents for this weekend's rookie mini-camp.

The club has yet to release the names of the players it is bringing in. One is expected to be former LSU center Ben Wilkerson.

EUROPEAN VACATION: Casey Bramlet, the Bengals' third-string quarterback, was named offensive player of the week in NFL Europe. Bramlet, playing for Hamburg, was 17-for-25 passing for 264 yards for Hamburg in a 30-10 win over Frankfurt.

Through four weeks, Bramlet has thrown for a league-best 801 yards and has the top passer rating, 97.0.

VOICES: Tom Kinder Jr., the eldest son of the late Tom Kinder, will take over the role of public address announcer at Paul Brown Stadium. He will be assisted by his brother, Bob Kinder.

Tom Kinder Sr. held the job for the entirety of the Bengals' 37-year history. He died April 10.

His sons assisted him over the years.

"This should make for an almost seamless transition in a job that is very important to our fans," Bengals president Mike Brown said in a statement. "The Kinder brothers have been involved with this position since they were young boys. They sound a good bit like their father."CALENDAR

A look at the Bengals' offseason schedule:

Friday-Sunday: Rookie mini-camp, Paul Brown Stadium

May 17-19, 24-26: Voluntary on-field coaching sessions, stadium

May 31-June 2: Voluntary on-field coaching sessions, stadium

June 7-9: Voluntary on-field coaching sessions, stadium

June 17-19: Mandatory full-squad mini-camp, stadium

July 29: Training camp opens, Georgetown (Ky.) College

Aug. 17: Training camp breaks

Needless to say , there were just as many Bengal fans there at the Georgia Dome, as there were Falcons' fans ( No Vick fever yet ), and I saw a guy dressed in full Bengals uniform. I'm talking, cleats,knee pads, shoulder pads, eye-black, helmet in hand and for some reason.. He was wearing # 34 kevin Kaesviharns number..??

Sure it wasn't Kenny Anderson :lol::lol:

It's gonna be the same verse w/ K2 as last year like it was w/ him and Tony Williams....You can cut 'em late if you ain't got nobody else better behind them.

Doesn't mean K2 will stick this year, though, w/ all the talk of moving Myles and Roberts between CB and FS. Roberts will come out of the chute w/ his career on the line again and hopefully do as well as he did last pre-season.