Brian Simmons....

Whur CHad At?

Now, I was just thinking. Since we are so tight on Cap money right now, why don't we cut Simmons. He is taking up a "chunk" out our cap, and by doing this we could free up money to sign some more players. Now I know he is a fan favorite, but you gotta think about something. He is getting old, hes slow, Misses way too many tackles, and has only had 2 100 tackle seasons in his career(i think that is right). I love the man, but at a buisness aspect, this would be smart. Just a thought...

man that is a terrible idea. hes our best LB by far, and probably the best player we have on the D. and mb try thinking before you post. he has no f**king dline in front of him most of the time and has had a bad secondary behind him...and plus he hasnt had a set LB core since spikes and foley were there. hes the last person i would want to lose.

Our salary cap is pretty much perfect. We are one of 3 or 4 teams I think that didn't have to cut a single player to get under the cap.

All Hail to Mike Brown ?

It might be time to ask Carson and a few others to make some cap room so we don't become the next version of the Colts.

What's wrong with the Colts?

Our salary cap is pretty much perfect. We are one of 3 or 4 teams I think that didn't have to cut a single player to get under the cap.

I just don't want to see all of our money tied up in three or four guys and have no cash to pay for defensive players. That's my impression of the Colts. I do think the Bengals try to balance that rather than be wreckless and toss big money around like alot of other teams do.

At some point the whole salary structure thing is getting screwed up by these large signing bonuses and average free agents making $5M a year. Way back when the league and owners decided that the bonus could be spread over the life of the contract rather than take the one year hit up front. Unfortunately we are starting to see really good players in the prime of their careers getting cut because of these crazy contracts that the same team gave them just a few years before. The bonuses keep getting bigger and the teams keep getting burned later. (now leaving the soapbox............)

It might be time to ask Carson and a few others to make some cap room so we don't become the next version of the Colts.

I just don't want to see all of our money tied up in three or four guys and have no cash to pay for defensive players. That's my impression of the Colts.

That IS the Colts.

At some point the whole salary structure thing is getting screwed up by these large signing bonuses and average free agents making $5M a year. Way back when the league and owners decided that the bonus could be spread over the life of the contract rather than take the one year hit up front. Unfortunately we are starting to see really good players in the prime of their careers getting cut because of these crazy contracts that the same team gave them just a few years before. The bonuses keep getting bigger and the teams keep getting burned later. (now leaving the soapbox............)

That's the price of having a cap...and then creating loopholes to circumvent it. And the biggest loophole of all is the signing "bonus." I put bonus in quotes because it isn't really a bonus, as a variety of rulings have made clear; it ought to be called a signing advance, since it's been ruled an advance on salary for services to be performed -- and thus if a player quits or forces a release, he can be required to repay that money (see the Ricky Williams fiasco last year, for example).

So what we really have in the NFL is capped salary (what's called salary now) and uncapped salary (what's called bonus now). Furthermore, the capped salary is generally unguaranteed, whereas the uncapped money is guaranteed.

That may seem a bit bass-ackwards, but I suspect the owners like it that way. After all, the vast majority of any team's players aren't getting big "bonuses." They're backups, special teamers, lower round picks picks, etc. who get itty-bitty bonuses and have to rely on capped and non-guaranteed salaries. It's only the upper echelon on players who get the big "bonus" bucks -- and like I said to start, all the rules dealing with "bonuses" have been set up in such a way as to make them as "cap friendly" as possible (i.e. set up to circumvent the cap).

So, unless they change the rules when they sit down to do the next CBA (and I doubt the will, at least not significantly) don't expect the high cost of FA to do anything but keep getting higher...or the difficulty of keeping good players to ease.

All Hail to Mike Brown ?

Hell yes, mike brown is one of the better owners in the league at not getting a team into cap trouble.

And Brian Simmons is nothing special. We really dropped the ball keeping him instead of Takeo Spikes. Simmons is terribly overrated.

Now, I was just thinking. Since we are so tight on Cap money right now, why don't we cut Simmons...

:lol: Why stop with just Brian? Let's start really hacking to free up some serious "Cap Cash" and cut Carson, Chad, and Willie while we're at it! :lol:

I love the man, but at a business aspect, this would be smart. 

Uhh...I really beg to differ on this. :blink:

Hell yes, mike brown is one of the better owners in the league at not getting a team into cap trouble.

That is very true. However, he's also one of the better, if not one of the best, owners in the league at not fielding a winning team. And those two truths are quite related.

The split I described earlier between capped/unguaranteed salary and uncapped/guaranteed salary ("bonus") effectively creates two seperate markets for players. In the former market are the majority of NFL players, who range from poor to average in ability. In the latter market are a limited selection of above-average to great players.

Mikey keeps out of cap trouble by venturing into the uncapped/guaranteed salary market only when forced -- usually because he has a high draft pick. He will sign his own team's top guys in this market, folks like Dillon or Pickens, but only when they are clearly elite players. Borderline case (guys like, say, Sam Shade or Ashley Ambrose), guys trying to make the transition from the "poor" market to the "rich" one based on good but not great numbers are far less likely to be retained.

The net effect is to keep the cap healthy, but at the same time depresses the talent level. Resulting in a crappy team with a great set of books, which is cold comfort to fans like me.

I just don't want to see all of our money tied up in three or four guys and have no cash to pay for defensive players. That's my impression of the Colts. I do think the Bengals try to balance that rather than be wreckless and toss big money around like alot of other teams do.

My impression of the Colts is playoffs.

If they get home field advantage, they will be a super bowl winner.

Nothing wrong with that is there?

Think about the team that has beat them in the playoffs two years in a row. That happens to be the same team that has won 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls. i want a balanced attack, that way if the offense of off a game the D can pick it up and vice versa. All those TD's Manning threw and in the end it don't mean squat.

My impression of the Colts is playoffs.

If they get home field advantage, they will be a super bowl winner.

Nothing wrong with that is there?

Can they stop someone in a big game? They haven't been able to do it the last two years. Trying to outscore people is a proven formula for failure if you are trying to win a championship. The Chargers in the 80's and Marino's Dolphins teams have proven that. When the Rams won a few years ago, they had some players on defense to compliment what their offense was doing. Having to get home field advantage is alot to expect too.

I actually do like Manning and the Colts. They are fun to watch. However, when they extended Manning's contract, they screwed up the salary structure for the their team and the rest of the league. Giant contracts like that end up driving up the price for even average guys. As great a player as he is, they overpaid him and at some point it will catch up to them. Until then, they may win a title but there is no guarantee, just ask D. McNabb.

All Hail to Mike Brown ?

And Brian Simmons is nothing special. We really dropped the ball keeping him instead of Takeo Spikes. Simmons is terribly overrated.

I thought the thread couldn't get any more moronic until I saw this one....way to go DPM. "Overrated" -- Simmons is one of the most underrated performers at his position in the league you knucklehead. People have to know who you are to be overrated. I'll bet the average fan couldn't name any of our LB's and he's been the only consistent player on our d since TKO left.

Oh and BTW, it wasn't a choice of keeping him or TKO, it was keeping him or neither of them you myopic CD loving jackass.

That is very true. However, he's also one of the better, if not one of the best, owners in the league at not fielding a winning team.

:lol: Great comparison there Joisey. And you have a point with them being related.

Mike Brown does run into severe cap problems just about as often as the Bengals make the playoffs. Kinda takes the ol' luster right off being conservative and playing it safe, don't you think? :blink: