Filling the holes

jjakq27

This is from the Dayton Daily News and is the bottom half of the article about Dennis Weathersby. I found this list a little puzzling. Two of the areas of need that Lewis mentions are RB and WR. However there is no mention of TE. Help me out here folks. :huh:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...09bennotes.html

Filling needs

Lewis said the Bengals plan to add players at six positions — wide receiver, defensive line, safety, running back, linebacker and interior offensive line — during free agency and the April 23-24 draft.

Cincinnati is still in the running for Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Bryan Robinson, who didn't sign with the Broncos after visiting Denver on Monday. The Bengals are also interested in Atlanta defensive tackle Ed Jasper, who recently was cut by the Falcons.

Quick hitters

• Linebacker Marcus Wilkins became the first of the Bengals' four restricted free agents to agree to terms. He signed a one-year contract for $655,000 on Tuesday. Cornerbacks Rashad Bauman and Reggie Myles, and tailback Kenny Watson are the club's other restricted free agents.

• Lewis said his family is planning a vacation to Greece, where his wife, Peggy, has relatives. NFL coaches typically take vacations in late June and early July before training camps begin.

I will personally send Marvin $10 if he makes the right call and doesn't pick a TE in rounds 1-3. Is the fact that the TE wasn't a big part of the offense last year because the TE isn't supposed to be a big part of the offense not enough to dissuade any of you from the Heath Miller bandwagon?

We should use the 1st round on something that we really, really need, and we don't need a TE.

Miller looks to be sliding fast because of doubts about his blocking ability, downfield speed, and his sports hernia. He could not only slide all the way out of the 1st but also wind up being the 2nd TE picked behind Alex Smith, who is the more complete package at the position.

As for the Bengals not needing a TE, check out how the game vs. the Fins was won on the game-winning drive. Dumpoffs to Schobel forced the zone coverage to deal with him, which brought a corner up and set up Chad for the out downfield that led to the FG.

Schobel also came up big vs. Dallas up the seam for a long TD. He does damage in the flats too. The only problem w/ Schobel is can he stay on the field more because like one of the announcers said during the Bengals-Giants game, he can't block his way out of a wet paper bag. He's not quite that bad of a blocker but he's not good either. Miller looks like another Schobel w/ better hands and route running ability. Not worth #17 IMO or trading down for IMO.

Alex Smith would be an all-downs TE, which would help keep the defense more honest about the playcall. Smith would be worth getting by trading down and even out of the 1st. But other than him, there's no need to look at TE in the draft IMO because there will be some undrafted rookie free agents who would be an upgrade over Reggie Kelly if he gets cut.

Obviously we need some help at the position, as Schobel is a pretty good pass-catching TE, but Kelly needs to go, and I don't really have any strong feelings either way about Tony Stewart.

Let me rephrase what I said before: If there was a good TE option in rounds 2 or 3 that would be worth it, that would be fine. If Alex Smith were to slip to the late-first or early-second and we traded down for more picks and got him with one of them, I wouldn't be too upset with that. But using the #17 pick on a TE would make me almost as mad as what they did with our first-rounder last year.

We need a defense before we can compete for the playoffs, and using a first-rounder on a TE isn't going to do anything but strengthen an offense that is already strong and neglect a defense that will be our downfall if we don't patch it up soon.

We need a defense before we can compete for the playoffs, and using a first-rounder on a TE isn't going to do anything but strengthen an offense that is already strong and neglect a defense that will be our downfall if we don't patch it up soon.

Very true.

Substitute RB for TE and we're right where we were last year. :lol: