Jamie Sharper

HoosierCat

per Curnette in the Enquirer...

There also was word out of Houston on Monday that linebacker Jamie Sharper, granted permission late last week by the Texans to seek a trade, might be talking to the Bengals. Lewis was Sharper's defensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens for five seasons (1997-01)

Now that would be a good pickup. Which of course means it probably won't happen... :rolleyes:

I'd give them Hardy or Webster and a draft pick for him - if that lessens the cap hit - or even Herring or Caleb Miller and a draft pick, something like that. (talking 3rd or 4th round pick).

The Bengals need a standout backer to go with Simmons and Landon. They need a run-stopping, proven stud in the middle. With Warrick and Rudi with one year left on their deals, you have to think Marvin will do whatever he can to fill the holes on defense to give them a shot this year before people start leaving. Another 8-8 year isn't going to cut it.

One can dream. But doesn't he carry a pretty fat contract. Plus, I wonder what the Teaxans are asking for

If Sharper comes in and plays near perfection, isn't that worth whatever the price?

Even Shula said:

The Bengals need a standout backer to go with Simmons and Landon. They need a run-stopping, proven stud in the middle. With Warrick and Rudi with one year left on their deals, you have to think Marvin will do whatever he can to fill the holes on defense to give them a shot this year before people start leaving. Another 8-8 year isn't going to cut it.

There is def a LB I would like to see them pursue.

I really don't have the same questions about Brown paying for it that you all do. The Bengals clearly have a high payroll relative to the cap, it's just a question of whether they can fit in dollars for someone like Sharper without weakening the team to get him.

I bet they can. Bye bye Hardy and someone else. Worth a shot IMO.

I like it. Write the check.

Sharper, Landon, and Simmons would make mf'ers HURT!!

And wouldn't a draft pick or two be worth an immediate upgrade at LB?

Doesn't persuing Sharper, and Trotter earlier, kinda make one wonder if the team is preparing itself for a 3-4 type defense in 2006?

Well, they've already said they're going to use a 3-4 on occasion, tho I've seen no sign that the base D won't be a 4-3. Really, I think the big factor in chasing either of them is Marvin Lewis. Both have played with him, there's obviously a mutual level of comfort and -- most important from our front office's perspective -- due to that they might be induced to come in at, ahem, "affordable" rates. :rolleyes:

Well, they've already said they're going to use a 3-4 on occasion, tho I've seen no sign that the base D won't be a 4-3.

To expand on that thought:

Chuck B even said they'll stick with the 4-3 and use the 3-4 when situations call for it. And pointing towards 4-3, what do you think the Bengals would be more charactorized to use -- provided we sign a high-profile LB like what's been insinuated and provided there's not a lengthy injury going into the 2005 season (from Webster notably). I think it's something they're looking into using more often than we think, and converting to it in 2006.

I know Marvin and Chucky B both have said they'll use the 4-3, but Marvin has also been one to not provide complete honesty on his plan and thinking -- nor should he be forced to. It's interesting though that we're looking into these guys though....

Of all of the trade ballons floated to date...must be a hundred by now...this one is the most interesting.

First Thought: Warrick.

It'd take reduction of a high cap hit to trade for Sharper because he's proly looking at least at a $6 mill SB and $1 mill salary in 2005...spread over 4 yrs and his 2005 cap hit would be $2.5 mill, which is about what P-Dubs 2005 salary would be.

Of course, the Bengals would have to eat the rest of P-Dubs bonus money against the cap.

As much as I'd like to see what a healthy P-Dub could do w/ CP throwing rope, adding Sharper would be a difference maker -- as in a playoff bid for real.

The Texans do need a #3 WR and P-Dub would have to compete to get to be #2. I wouldn't think the trade is likely though because the Texans should be able to pick up a serviceable wideout as late as the 4th rd.