TJ Will Not be Back Next Season

williamnminor

As I was driving today Lance McCallister (1360 AM in Cincinnati) said attention Bengals Fans, I have Bad News. He said he got a call last night from one of his friends on the inside with the Bengals and while he legally couldn't discuss any technicalities, he was informed that because of a certain aspect of the contract the Bengals and TJ can't reach an agreement and are not likely to do so in the future. The chance they gave as of now that he will be back was 20 %.

I wouldn't be suprised if that was TJ himself, as he often appeared in studio with him every week during the season, and Lance asked him about it on the air.

There's no reason they shouldn't re-sign Rudi now if this is true.

If they let both these players walk, it'll be just like old times again, and tells me nothing here has changed really. I don't care what kind of excuses people make for it.

Marvin isn't a miracle maker, he's just a good NFL coach. I hope the Brown family realizes that.

three little words: spec.....u.....lation. whenever a radio guy uses anything remotely close to the word "legally," well, he's automatically lost all crediblity with me. maybe i'm wrong; i don't live in cincy and therefore i don't this guy's rep, but it sounds a lot like what a horse produces and leaves in the grass...

I wouldn't be suprised if that was TJ himself, as he often appeared in studio with him every week during the season, and Lance asked him about it on the air.

There's no reason they shouldn't re-sign Rudi now if this is true.

If they let both these players walk, it'll be just like old times again, and tells me nothing here has changed really. I don't care what kind of excuses people make for it.

Marvin isn't a miracle maker, he's just a good NFL coach. I hope the Brown family realizes that.

i totally disagree, were letting 2 avg nfl players go, that had had good Seasons IMO and are demanding too much from us.

Like I said Jerry Porter and Shaun Laexander please.

How's that?

Like when they let Leon walk after the infamous,"I'll flip burgers before I'll play for the Bengals" comment?Wait-no they didn't.

Or maybe you are referring to when the Bengals let Carl Pickens walk?Errrrrrrrr-wait-they over paid him.

If they let them leave rather than over paying them,it will be exactly the OPPOSITE of old times,and things have changed.

Though TJ was the one FA I wanted back most, he was the one I also thought least likely to return. Tagging him was never an option, the WR tags are over $6 million for transition and $7 million for franchise, and with so many teams looking for wide receivers he simply has no incentive to sign anything bhefore the FA period starts.

On the plus side, TJ going would be good news for anyone who wants to keep Rudi, I think. I doubt they let both of them go.

whenever a radio guy uses anything remotely close to the word "legally," well, he's automatically lost all crediblity with me.

Sounds like all forms of media. :lol::lol:

Anyway, Lance is one of the few guys trusted with sports in the Cincinnati area. Some of the things he's said in the past, that resemble the TJ skit right now, has come to fruition. I think it's legit and a CYA.

Like I said Jerry Porter and Shaun Laexander please

Yeah that's going to happen.

If the Bengals DO let both Rudi and TJ walk, my guess is that Marvin will be looking to sign some big name FA's on defense (well one or two).

They will also have to draft or sign a good RB again because there's just no way they can rely on Perry/Watson going into the season if they are serious about being a playoff contender.

If you're going to lose 2000+ yards and 12+ TD's from your offense - they better have someone who can replace that production.

Warrick is one (if he's back and healthy) but the running game will be like starting over again from scratch.

I simply prefer to have a back who knows the offense, is a proven commodity, can get the job done, and lets the draft address real needs instead of re-loading the same offensive skill positions every year and relying on rookies and unproven picks.

THAT would be like old times.

Funny how Spikes, Sam Shade, Gerald Dixon, Ashley Ambrose et al..., were not mentioned above, as examples of players who proved themselves here and were let go as soon as their first contract was up.

Bye.

Telephone call to Kelly Washington: Umm, now it's time to step up.

Telephone to draft room: Pick up a WR in the first round.

Actually it's very common for receivers to struggle their first two years then really come on in their third. They've always said year three is the magic number for receivers. Look at Javon Walker this year.

You guys should take a serious look at Lamont Jordan. I fear this guy haunting the Jets b/c he is an absolute beast but if I want him to anywhere it is Cincy. The guy will be a LEGIT top 5 back in the league given the opportunity (better than Rudy).

I've been saying all along that we should pick up Jordan instead of Rudi, plus he would come cheaper than Rudi.

let the draft address real needs instead of re-loading the same offensive skill positions every year and relying on rookies and unproven picks.

THAT would be like old times.

With all of the positve feelings at year end, I don't know if this team could take the PR hit if they don't sign Rudi and/or TJ and then their replacements don't pan out. :(

You guys should take a serious look at Lamont Jordan. I fear this guy haunting the Jets b/c he is an absolute beast but if I want him to anywhere it is Cincy.  The guy will be a LEGIT top 5 back in the league given the opportunity (better than Rudy).

I've been saying all along that we should pick up Jordan instead of Rudi, plus he would come cheaper than Rudi.

probably right...w/ the glut of Rbs in the mkt and draft, he won't be looking/getting top $ (like Rudi apparently wants). His #1 priority is playing time. The guy is a beast. While I preferably want him on an NFC team, I would like to see him w/ you if he remains in the AFC.

On the plus side, TJ going would be good news for anyone who wants to keep Rudi, I think. I doubt they let both of them go.

Yup, that's exactly the way I reacted. It's good news. Or to put it better...it's an attractive rumor for those of us in Camp Rudi. Almost all of us have agreed that the Bengals are being forced to make a choice between signing Rudi or TJ and despite being a fan of both players I've never once concluded that TJ should be the player retained.

Like I said Jerry Porter and Shaun Laexander please

.....don't think were gonna be seeing jerry porter in to town anytime soon.....he reportedly turned down a 5 year-25 million $ contract down to stay with the raiders.....ouch....

....and nothing against TJ, but i think you could plug in 25 -30 different possession recievers opposite chad and them have big years......Marvin knows what he's doing....if he'll stay at a reasonable price he'll be back, if not, Marvin will let him walk.....same with Rudi.....

Funny how Spikes, Sam Shade, Gerald Dixon, Ashley Ambrose et al..., were not mentioned above, as examples of players who proved themselves here and were let go as soon as their first contract was up.

Please. Sam Shade? Ashley Ambrose? Shade had one good year here, wanted a bundle and got booted, and never had as good a year again in his remaining time in DC. Ambrose has been kicked to the curb by Indy, us, New Orleans and Atlanta...crap, if you can't find a home on one of those squads you either suck or have a hugely inflated opinion of yourself. As for Takeo, he was cut by Marvin, not the prior regimes you accuse of being cheapskates.

Time to start the Shazor train:

Shazor. Shazor. Shazor. Shazor.

C'mon, say it with me...

BN1281

Relax guys it's business. I saw this coming a mile away. First of all, we can't afford to pay two recievers #2 type money, and I'm sure TJ knew he could get more money in FA. He had one good year, is not that fast, and up until this year was injury prone. I like the guy a lot, but if you think about it you could see this coming a month ago. I still hope they don't draft a WR in the first two rounds, there are plenty of guys out there and we don't need to use that high of a pick to still get our speed reciever