Rudi in the pro bowl!!!

Tiger Stripes

It looks like Rudi is going after all. I guess he really isn't afraid of ol' what's-his-name.

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2745

Rudi goes bowling

2-6-05, 4:05 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. _ Running back Rudi Johnson has re-arranged his life to get to next week’s Pro Bowl. Now he expects former teammate Corey Dillon to stick to his Hawaiian plan.

“I hope he shows up with a smile on his face,” Johnson said Sunday as he settled into his Virginia home while Dillon and his Patriots prepared for the Super Bowl. “I’d like to see him get the ring.”

Johnson also reiterated that the Feb. 13 game in Honolulu is going to be his last performance in 2005 if the Bengals tag him as their franchise free agent. But he also said he hopes and thinks a deal can get done before that happens.

Johnson got the word he had been named to the AFC team Friday here at the Super Bowl as he was about to leave for the home of teammate Kevin Hardy. He was in town for a promotional appearance, but he made a quick getaway to get ready for his first Pro Bowl trip.

Johnson and Dillon are going as alternates because Edgerrin James and Curtis Martin decided not to play. But Johnson doesn’t mind in a season he broke Dillon’s franchise record with 1,454 yards and Dillon broke his own career best with 1,635 yards.

“It’s something you dream about. I had to go,” Johnson said. “It’s a big thrill. I was talking about this back in the preseason. That’s what I said. I hoped both Corey and I would have great years and that we would end up playing together in the Pro Bowl.”

Some view Johnson as following Dillon off the field as well with his threat to hold out if the Bengals put the franchise tag on him. They can do it as early as Tuesday by tendering him a one-year contract for $6.3 million. Because the compensation is so steep for a franchise free agent (a first- and third-round draft pick), it takes him off the market.

But Johnson says he wants to be in Cincinnati, which Dillon wasn’t saying at the end.

“I want to know I’m going to be there for the next five or six years,” Johnson said. “People can be critical or whatever, but I’m also not giving up on the situation. I don’t think it’s going to come down to (the franchise tag). I think something is going to get done with them one way or the other.”

Johnson admitted there is a lot of work to get done before he gets the kind of long-term deal. He won’t discuss the Bengals’ offer, saying only, “We’ve got a long way to go.”

The offer figures to be less per year than the $6.3 million he would get this year with the tag. The sides won’t say by how much. Given what Dillon accomplished before signing a five-year $25 million deal before the 2001 season (four 1,000-yard seasons, two Pro Bowls), there is some debate if the Bengals would offer $5 million per year.

But one thing is for sure. They want to re-sign Johnson, and indications are the discussions with agent Peter Schaffer are going to be re-visited the week after the Super Bowl.

Johnson wonders if the Bengals are willing to pay him more than $6 million for this year, why won’t they pay him that over the long term. They have their salary cap reasons for that. In fact, the $6 million number is so big, Johnson isn’t so sure the Bengals are going to use the tag on him for just this year.

“Let’s work at it. Let’s get it done,” he said.

Johnson is taking a far less volatile approach than Dillon. Back in 2000, Dillon threatened a holdout by saying he’d rather flip burgers than play. Johnson is saying nothing like that.

“I’d find something to do,” he said. “But like I said, I don’t think it’s going to be an option for them and something will get done.”

its a privalledge to play in the nfl rudi is abusing that privalledge and my perception of him is changing. if he gets tagged he will play because im sure he doesn't want to lose all the money he would lose in free agency by sitting out a whole year. teams would look at this situation and think less of him just the way im starting to think.

Funny Corey Dillon threatened to do the exact same thing when his contract was up and he's still revered as some sort of God here. In fact he dragged that whole situation out into the press and did so many crappy things while he was here it was ridiculous....some of it was understood though.

Rudi's agent makes one threat and all of a sudden everyone hates him and wants him gone. As if players should be begging to play for Mike Brown now.

If I'm Rudi and the Bengals' treat me like crap, like they do most of their vet players, I would do the same thing.

Rudi's been nothing but a professional since day one that he's been here, even when he out-perfomed Corey in '03 and had to split time with him the entire year.

The Bengals' are notorious for low-balling players and not extending deserving ones (usually they just pick one star and sign him to some ridiculous contract and ignore everyone else - much like they did when Pickens was here).

Rudi wants security and a long term deal somewhere - preferably here - I can't blame him for that - nor for getting as much as he deserves after two good seasons, if not great ones.

He's not a top 5 back quite yet, but, he will be possibly if that 0-line improves next year.

He and Perry should make for a nice tandem and have CJ/TJ/PW and Palmer to round out the arsenal should make for the most exciting offense in the NFL bar none.

It's too bad others, including possibly the Bengals, can't see this unfolding as one of the best young offenses the NFL has seen for a while possibly.

Funny Corey Dillon threatened to do the exact same thing when his contract was up and he's still revered as some sort of God here. In fact he dragged that whole situation out into the press and did so many crappy things while he was here it was ridiculous....some of it was understood though.

Rudi's agent makes one threat and all of a sudden everyone hates him and wants him gone. As if players should be begging to play for Mike Brown now.

What are you talking about? Most people I talk to in Cincinnati absolutely hate Corey Dillon, and conversely revere Rudi Johnson. That could be changing though as people get more and more fed up with Rudi' contract demands.

I think the reality is that one is really no better than the other in terms of the 'Me Factor'. And didn't I hear that Dillon took a pay cut to play in New England?

In fact he dragged that whole situation out into the press and did so many crappy things while he was here it was ridiculous....some of it was understood though.

Isn't Rudi the one offering the threats this year? Didn't he first come out and say he'll sit if he's tagged? Now he's got the whole Bengals community talking about it...

Rudi's been nothing but a professional since day one that he's been here

That's why we're talking about Rudi sitting if he's tagged?

He and Perry should make for a nice tandem and have CJ/TJ/PW and Palmer to round out the arsenal should make for the most exciting offense in the NFL bar none.

If we do, great. If not, then oh well. Like Indy, we'll be watching the final games on TV without a defense. I'm used to that already, I'm ready for wins, I don't care how it happens.

He's not a top 5 back quite yet, but, he will be possibly if that 0-line improves next year.

AAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rudi isnt a top 15 back, and he never will be. You saying "he will be possibly if the o-line improves" means right there thathe is not a top 5 back, and NEVER WILL BE. If he gets better because of the o-line improving, thats not him getting better. Thats the o-line getting better. Fact is, rudi cant create anything on his own, unless perfect holes are there for him, he loses yards. He is an average RB who, without a good o-line, would probly look like Sammy Morris did in Miami this year.

Rudi isnt a top 15 back, and he never will be. You saying "he will be possibly if the o-line improves" means right there thathe is not a top 5 back, and NEVER WILL BE. If he gets better because of the o-line improving, thats not him getting better. Thats the o-line getting better. Fact is, rudi cant create anything on his own, unless perfect holes are there for him, he loses yards. He is an average RB who, without a good o-line, would probly look like Sammy Morris did in Miami this year.

Shouldn't you have prefaced that statement with "IMO"?

I mean he did finish 6th in total rushing yardage, and considering that would at least make him a top 10 RB. Oh...IMHO.

Shouldn't you have prefaced that statement with "IMO"?

He should have prefaced that with "IAAT" (I am a Troll). :lol:

If you guys didnt have something to whine and bitch about, I sware your alls balls would fall of. Excluding DontPushMe, I think it is a female because it is moody and PMSy all the time.

Be happy for the man he made the pro bowl. Most players dont.