Overjoyed

DontPushMe

corey.jpg

Overjoyed

Corey Dillon can't get over his acquisition by the Patriots. For his teammates and coaches, the feeling is mutual.

By JOANNE KORTH, Times Staff Writer

Published January 21, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOXBORO, Mass. - Corey Dillon is getting to be a pest in the Patriots locker room.

Every day, without fail, the running back grabs the arm of a teammate, coach, equipment manager - anyone who doesn't see him coming - to say again how grateful he is to New England for rescuing him. For believing in him. For giving him a chance.

Every single day.

"There's not a day goes by that I don't thank them," Dillon said moments after rushing for 144 yards in Sunday's 20-3 victory against the Colts in an AFC division game. Grass and mud sprouted from the face mask of his helmet hanging on a peg in his locker.

"Ask any of these guys. They're probably a little annoyed that I do it, but I do it to let them know. I'm just ecstatic about being in this situation."

Labeled a troublemaker at the end of seven mostly losing seasons in Cincinnati, Dillon, 30, has become the poster boy for selflessness in New England, where he has given the defending Super Bowl champion the reliable runner it lacked. The Patriots have seen nothing of the disgruntled Dillon, only the delighted one.

"He's come in and worked hard, and he's got a great attitude," quarterback Tom Brady said. "You know, I don't care what someone's reputation is, you come to this team and you fit in. You can't help it. ... I know he's glad he's here. He's told us that a bunch of times."

As New England prepares to play Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game Sunday, Dillon is the ace up the Patriots' sleeves. Because of a right thigh injury, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound workhorse did not play in a 34-20 loss that ended the team's NFL-record 21-game win streak Oct. 31 at Heinz Field. Without a running attack, Brady was forced to throw 43 times.

"We did plenty of things wrong in that game regardless of whether Corey was there or not," Brady said. "I'm certainly glad Corey's going to be there. We've got to go out there and try to do the same type of things we did (against the Colts): establish the run, maybe make a few plays in the passing game."

The Steelers, who have the league's top-ranked rushing defense at 81.2 yards per game, are quite familiar with Dillon. They saw him 13 times when he played for the Bengals, a division opponent.

"You have to account for him," Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher said. "He is a great back that we know all so well from playing against him during his years in Cincinnati. We have a lot of respect for him. He just gives them another weapon."

By the end of last season, Dillon was a pest in the Bengals locker room. His playing time reduced by injury and the emergence of Rudi Johnson, Dillon complained publicly the team was not using him properly and asked to be traded. His me-first attitude had a poisonous effect.

On April 19, Dillon was traded to the Patriots for a second-round pick in the 2004 draft.

With New England, which has won two of the past three Super Bowls with teamwork, Dillon is having the season of his career. He set a single-season Patriots rushing record with 1,635 yards during the regular season and had career highs for carries (345), rushing touchdowns (12) and average (4.7 yards) - all in 15 games.

Against the Colts, Dillon turned in one of the best performances by a back in Patriots playoff history. His 144 rushing yards were second to Curtis Martin's record 166 against the Steelers in 1997, and his 42-yard run to set up the clinching TD was third longest.

"Corey was just nasty out there," linebacker Willie McGinest said.

These days, Dillon leaves his nasty side on the field. Teammates who might have been skeptical that Dillon would fit into the Patriots' tightknit locker room have been impressed with his willingness to be a cog in the machine.

"Having him is such a plus because he plays with so much heart and effort and it's just contagious. It's like a domino effect," tight end Christian Fauria said. "Even when we miss blocks, he is making players miss and stiff-arming guys. He is just the heart of the offense."

And thankful.

So very thankful.

Did he mention he's thankful?

"Usually at this time of the year, I was at home," Dillon said. "To actually be in the playoffs and playing for something, this is special. I'm going to cherish it. I came here to experience something like this. I just love being around the guys and going out there and fighting. This is paying off."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/21/Sports/Overjoyed.shtml

Pretty funny. Both of the major Los Angeles area papers have run versions of this same story on back to back days. Same quotes...same sentiment....each supposedly written by different authors. So I have to wonder how many versions of this boilerplate story exist? Five? Six? Or perhaps there's at least one version in every major market....each one supposedly penned by a local scribe. Who'll be the next poster to find another version?

Let the permanent record show that the smiling Cinderella once wore scowls and cornrows.

Pretty funny. Both of the major Los Angeles area papers have run versions of this same story on back to back days. Same quotes...same sentiment....each supposedly written by different authors. So I have to wonder how many versions of this boilerplate story exist? Five? Six? Or perhaps there's at least one version in every major market....each one supposedly penned by a local scribe. Who'll be the next poster to find another version?

Let the permanent record show that the smiling Cinderella once wore scowls and cornrows.

Sour grapes.

Sour grapes.

Sour grapes ?

No some people just look at it like there is "your team".

And then there is "the enemy". When some1 from "your team"

becomes a traitor and joins "the enemy" then you hate

them more than a regular "enemy"...ecspecially when that person

was considered a "hero".

It`s really that simple.

What's wrong with scowls and corn-rows anyway?

Sour grapes.

Sour grapes ?

was considered a "hero".

It`s really that simple.

Oh! I just root for the guys to do well. I don't own or play for a team, and I sure don't need artificial enemies with all the real ones afoot. But I guess that must be fun for you. My mistake. Thanks for reminding me. Carry on.

Sour grapes ?

was considered a "hero".

It`s really that simple.

Oh! I just root for the guys to do well. I don't own or play for a team, and I sure don't need artificial enemies with all the real ones afoot. But I guess that must be fun for you. My mistake. Thanks for reminding me. Carry on.

So you root for any1 and every1 ?

You root for the Bills when they play the Bengals ?

Just as long as they all play good ?

I don`t understand what you`re saying.

Sour grapes ?

was considered a "hero".

It`s really that simple.

So you root for any1 and every1 ?

You root for the Bills when they play the Bengals ?

Just as long as they all play good ?

I don`t understand what you`re saying.

Don't be silly. It's only human to hate the Bills - they're nobodies from nowhere.

Yeah, I'll root for anyone and everyone to a point. I'm too old to get sick about this stuff like I did when I was a callow young kid. There's too much gangster stuff and other assorted muck and mire surrounding the NFL for me to continue to mark-out and live and die with it. I enjoy yelling and playing coach and GM and all that mess, and since the Bengals are more accessible than other teams, being here and all, I root for them to do well. But I respect that it's the players' game, not mine; I'm not getting caught up in their lovers' quarrels.

I think, IMO, that in order to be a true fan one must draw a line in the sand. I CANNOT in any way shape or form root for a guy that dissed my team. This was not just any guy, but one of the all time greatest players in my teams history. He was absolutely beloved by Cinci. I'm talking at one point Dillon's merchandise sales accounted for over half of the Bengals merchandise revenue. this guy WAS the face of Bengals football. Then to go and throw his gear in the stands. The shi**y comments. To say it turned the tide of public opinion would be a huge understatement. I cannot think of a time I was more pissed about a Bengals football player. We loved this guy!

Honestly I may be childish about Corey Dillon, but I would love nothing more than to see him fail. If for no other reason than to satisfy my own personal resentment towards him. I've lived and mostly died with the Bengs since '87. Yes, he probably will bring home a Super Bowl ring this year, and I hate that. At least I know that in the coming years our boys will be wearing the same jewelry as he. It just sucks he may get that ring before we do.

Man the media ripping into us about this trade continues!

EA Sports NFL matchup, not hodge or salsbury, but the other guy said something like, 'the patriots straight stole dillon from the bengals'

OH NO, THE MEDIA HASN'T LOOKED INTO THE FACT THAT WE'VE GOTTEN MADIEU WILLIAMS IN RETURN, A YOUNGER PLAYER WHO DIDNT "REFUSE" TO PLAY IN CINCINATTI???? THAT'S ODD!

shut up man, you're f**king annoying. get of dillon's jock.

EA Sports NFL matchup, not hodge or salsbury, but the other guy said something like, 'the patriots straight stole dillon from the bengals'

OH NO, THE MEDIA HASN'T LOOKED INTO THE FACT THAT WE'VE GOTTEN MADIEU WILLIAMS IN RETURN, A YOUNGER PLAYER WHO DIDNT "REFUSE" TO PLAY IN CINCINATTI???? THAT'S ODD!

Madieu is a good player, but i dont see him carrieng his team to the super bowl right now.

Madieu is a good player, but i dont see him carrieng his team to the super bowl right now.

Dillon carried them to the Superbowl?

Then how did they win two out of the last three-without Leon?

THEY WERE THERE WITHOUT HIM LAST YEAR. HE DIDN'T CARRY THEM ANYWHERE.

how's the view from corey's nuts man? seriously...

One man's junk is another man's jewelery. They are welcome to keep him and we won't even press charges.

Amen to that.

I would honestly take Madieu over Corey on any day of the week, in any situation.

BN1281

DILLON IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!

I am so proud of him, i will be wearing my bengals corey dillon jersey with pride during the super bowl. GO DILLON!

Side note, did you guys see how pumped up he was at the end of that game, as he was putting the nail in the coffin with his final few runs, he was getting up, pounding his chest and yelling. You can tell he is really happy, after 7 years of dealing with the crap of this organization, its finally paying off for him.

after 7 years of dealing with the crap of this organization, its finally paying off for him.

7 years of crap you say? Try 1 Einstein. <_< And it didn't have to be that way, but through his own actions it occured. Everything was fine until he opened his mouth. Without question he's a fine RB, but he instigated the whole affair.

...finally paying off...sheesh! Who are you trying to kid? :wacko: