Broussard Returns

HoosierCat

from bengals.com...

Broussard re-signs

1/4/2005 - 1-4-05, 4:30 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

The Bengals guaranteed an exciting training camp Tuesday when they re-signed Jamall Broussard to a two-year deal. The 5-9, 172-pound Broussard, a free agent wide receiver and kick returner from San Jose State, lit up last year’s camp with moves that earned him a comparison to Peter Warrick as “Little P Dub.”

With wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh unsigned and Warrick recovering from two injuries, Broussard adds an interesting dynamic to the receiver picture. But given his size, the Bengals are probably looking at him mainly as a special teamer who might be able to contribute in certain roles from scrimmage if he makes the team.

After getting cut before the season, the Bengals had him on their practice squad until Oct. 14. The Panthers then signed him to their active roster, and he played in eight games. Before the Panthers waived him last week, he finished eighth in the NFC in kickoff returns with a 23.1-yard average on 24 attempts, and he also had 10 punt returns for an average of 4.3 yards.

In the preseason with the Bengals, he had eight catches for 58 yards, and averaged 6.8 yards on five punt returns and 15 yards on two kick returns. He also had a 91-yard punt return against the Patriots called back on a penalty.

Good move. Guy's a competitor. Probably ends up not making the cut again next August but he's still fun to watch.

hey man, u never know. he did good for us in preseason so mb another year in the system can do him wonders. never know, thats why they resigned him - he has potential. now lets see if he uses it.

Another twist in the Warrick injury saga perhaps??

I don't see him making it especially with the emergence of Ratliff returning punts and Walter being such a good contributor on special teams.

That's my thinking as well. But at the same time, I'm not crazy about having our young, promising corner out there returning punts, and should he get hurt, do we turn back to TJ? :unsure: I like what TJ did this year a lot, but I don't want to see "Muffsoneagainzeh" back there ever again. My bet is they PS him as insurance and hope no one grabs him this year.

Next year is Cliff Russell, Kevin Walter and

Kelley Washington`s last year under contract.

Chad Johnson, Matt Cherry ( :huh: ) and NOW Jamal Broussard

are the only WR`s that we have signed beyond 2005> (at the moment)

Yeah, I would not be surprised at all if they went WR in the first two rounds, especially if they let TJ walk.

Next year is  Cliff Russell, Kevin Walter and

Kelley Washington`s last year under contract.

Chad Johnson, Matt Cherry (  :huh:  ) and NOW Jamal Broussard

are the only WR`s that we have signed beyond 2005> (at the moment)

Yeah, I would not be surprised at all if they went WR in the first two rounds, especially if they let TJ walk.

I would HATE to see them let TJ walk though, not just because he had a big year, but because of the way in which he had a big year. He made clutch catches and took big hits and kept coming back. He's a smart player with the heart and confidence you need in big games. He plays a disciplined game. His potential was evident before he got hurt, and even though he looked sloppy when he first came back, his break-out performance as the year progressed is no fluke. Here's a guy who not only can get you 1,000 yards in a season, but can get them when you need them. He's not one of those guys that light up the stats and then disappears when it's all on the line. I rest my case with the 4th Down catch in the Giants game.

Well, Hobson and Drug Store List's Jones seem to think that a big speedy WR is on their short list; look at the bengals.com piece on possible draft choices if you don't believe me.

All depends on how things fall out. I agree, I would resign TJ, and if they do I think WR immediately drops to 0 on the priority scale. But if they don't, we're looking at Chad, whatever percentage of Warrick comes back, and K-wash, who remains a question mark.