Bengals to sign T.J. before Free Agency

chrishcovga

Whether you want Rudi or not, TJ means less money for Rudi and with yesterday's locker room interviews (Rudi wouldn't answer any questions) you can tell the contract situation is bothering him. Whatever happens happens, and I'd really like him back, but I say Rudi is close to long gone and he knows it.

I also think Rudi knows he won't draw a lot of attention in FA, and I don't think he will either

Whether you want Rudi or not, TJ means less money for Rudi and with yesterday's locker room interviews (Rudi wouldn't answer any questions) you can tell the contract situation is bothering him. Whatever happens happens, and I'd really like him back, but I say Rudi is close to long gone and he knows it.

I also think Rudi knows he won't draw a lot of attention in FA, and I don't think he will either

BengalBoomer I heard different.

: I heard the reason why he wasn't talking to anyone was that he was dissappointed that he didn't get the 113 yards he needed to break Corey Dillon's record at home on Sunday!

- Heard it from Bengalstalk on 700 wlw. Monday night.

I like the TJ signing. He really surprised me this season, and I must say, I'm actually learning how to spell out his name -- so that's a plus, I guess.

Just noting, they have not actually signed him yet, just that both sides are talking.

Which is as it should be, this team needs to have a rock solid set of receivers to go with Palmer...the running game will be only as good as the passing game is in future years. Which is why I don't want to pay what Rudi is apparently asking. The market will be flooded with running backs this off-season, there will be some good guys available at reasonable rates. Denver has convinced me that, with the right conditions in place, good running backs are replaceable.

I wonder what this means for Warrick? If he's even here for 05 will it be his last (probably)

Here's something else I've thought on. Every year the patriots keep all their good players by getting guys to sign for less or restructure every year, how well will the bengals be able to do this this year. To me, this offseason will mark how far we've come as a team. We all know there's not enough money around so:

1. Will rudi sign for less to stay here?

2. Will guys like Kitna, Warrick and others restructure their deals so we can make some FA moves

3. Will FA's give us serious thought thisyear or will we get used as contract bait like last year (vincent and taylor)

4. How will the youngs guys produce next year with so much playiung time under their belt. I, for one don't see us signing too many of our FA"s because they are mostly backups and Marvin's last two drats will take up most of those spots

MARK MY WORDS, this is the most important off season the bengals may have ever had. With they come out smelling like roses or will they end up with egg all over their face. Crazy as it sounds, I'm just as excited about the ofseason as I was the real season

i just hope we dont overpay housh if we resign him. if we can get him for 1.5 mill or less then do it, anything more he can walk, we got warrick regardless anyway.

According to the article on Bengals.com., the Bengals are using that very point for leverage in talks with TJ's agent. Probably trying to work it so they can keep them both ....... hope they do.

i just hope we dont overpay housh if we resign him. if we can get him for 1.5 mill or less then do it, anything more he can walk, we got warrick regardless anyway.

We maybe have Warrick. He has a messed-up knee that may or may not every be good again. I hope it is -- but I'm not about to let a 1,000-yard receiver walk away with "hope Peter can play" as my backup plan.

That said, you can give TJ a phat payday without murdering the cap. A fair deal would be something in the $2-3 million/year range (and that's actual money; the cap hit can be massaged down to the $1.5 million arena for the first couple years at least).

ya. lets pay someone a ton of dough for doing nothing for what 2-3 years and then finally stepping up and doing something? (tj)

do u not recall rudi last year? bengals will not give him a big contract i gaurantee it (im talking housh). marvin doesnt just sign ppl on a whim.

ya. lets pay someone a ton of dough for doing nothing for what 2-3 years and then finally stepping up and doing something? (tj)

do u not recall rudi last year? bengals will not give him a big contract i gaurantee it (im talking housh). marvin doesnt just sign ppl on a whim.

TJ and Carson Palmer have a strong connection. You have to give your best player weapons to utilize his skills, and TJ is one of Carson best weapons.

Why get rid of that and force Palmer to get used to someone else?

Housh still comps out w/ Dez White who signed as a UFA w/ Falcs in 2004.

White's yearly avg. in his best 3 yrs prior to deal was 48 catches for 556 yds. Housh is 43-542 but unlike White, Housh has also avg. 7.8 yds on 47 PRs and 21.2 on 33 KRs.

White got a $600k signing bonus, a $535k 2004 salary and a $700k 2005 salary. His 2005 cap hit minus any roster bonus is $1 million.

But White didn't quite have as good of a single year as Housh did this year. This alone puts Housh in with Brandon Stokley who has avg. only 39-592 in his best 3 yrs. but is 68-1077 w/ 10 TDs this year.

Stokley signed a 4-yr extension this month but not sure terms were disclosed.

IMO a 3 yr deal w/ $1.5 million to sign and a 2005 base of $750k would be fair, which would put his 2005 cap hit at $1.25 mill. Housh had the $618k RFA tender this year so might take a deal like this even though testing the market could land him more due to the big season he's had this year and his versatility as a return man.

i don't think you can compare white to tj because white compiled his numbers over a whole season while tj did it over less than half a season.

for what it's worth here's what i think: re-sign tj even if you have to overpay, but hopefully not much. let rudi walk. i'm not a huge big-10 guy, but man, perry was awesome his senior year. if perry is healthy, he'd give the offense much more versatility. i really think he's the back that brat wants -- ie, a slasher, not a banger like rudi. when you have a guy like carson who can hit the 20- and 30-yard out routes, you want a quicker back (a la marshall faulk) in your backfield instead of a north-south runner like rudi. it just make your offense more verticle, which i believe is what brat wants.

so, looking at the grand scheme, it's seems to me that rudi is gone, perry is in, tj is in, pw will be in no matter what, and we'll address the tight end issue in FA or the draft.

thoughts?

On a whim? ditty, Marvin clearly saw something he liked in TJ long before this year, otherwise he would have cut him last year when he couldn't get on the field at all. And now TJ has amply rewarded that faith. As long as TJ keeps his demands in the mainstream of what No. 2 receivers are making, he'll get his deal.

so, looking at the grand scheme, it's seems to me that rudi is gone, perry is in, tj is in, pw will be in no matter what, and we'll address the tight end issue in FA or the draft.

thoughts?

I agree. Though I think if they can get Rudi back at a reasonable price they will bite the bullet and do it. If they can't come to an agreement by March I think he goes into FA with the transition tag...

Chick Ludwig (Dayton Daily News) was on the Lance McAlister show the other evening and he thought that both TJ and Rudi would be resigned and that Rudi's deal would be no more than one or two years. He also mentioned that he believed that Jon Kitna would be back but that Warrick probably would not.

Marvin wanted to sign Rudi to the 3 year, 17 mil deal last year when he had the chance but the Brown family balked and drafted Perry as insurance. Now that Perry has been out the entire year, there's no guarantee he'll fully recover from that hernia (remember Barry Larkin's troubles) right away.

Anyone who thinks this team won't be taking a step back by relying on Watson and Perry next year are mistaken. Palmer needs a proven back and running game to be effective - the whole offense does.

It's time for the Bengals (and their Bengalized fans) to quit accepting mediocrity and constantly replacing people as soon as they are FA's and relying on unproven players.

I think some people believe Marvin has more control over the budget and personnel decisions than he really does. If he did, he would've had Rudi signed as soon as Dillon took off.

I think they'll sign Rudi to a one year deal with the tag and go from there.