Rudi and TJ next year

jjakq27

The Enquirer ran this article today regarding contract negotiations with Rudi and TJ's agents.

For what it's worth, I think the balance of Corey and Akili's signing bonuses are gone after this season which should free up available cap room.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../411300370/1066

Bengals face big decisions

Rudi, T.J. unrestricted free agents after year

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

As Rudi Johnson's rushing yardage increases, the time decreases before he will become an unrestricted free agent.

Johnson rushed past 1,000 yards Sunday against the Browns, and his 1,049 are sixth most in the NFL. Yet he's no closer to signing a new contract with the Bengals than he was in training camp.

"We've had discussions but have not talked in earnest," Peter Schaffer, Johnson's agent, said Monday night. "He has five games left until he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

"If the Bengals approach us with a number that's appropriate, Rudi will get his wish of being a Bengal for life."

Johnson's 202 rushing yards against Cleveland were a career high. Another increasingly valuable Bengal, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, also had a career-best two touchdown receptions among his four catches for 79 yards. They are both playing under one-year tender contracts they signed as restricted free agents.

Johnson is playing for $1.824 million. Houshmandzadeh is getting $628,000.

The Bengals have not shown the interest in retaining Rudi Johnson or Houshmandzadeh the way they secured Chad Johnson's services with a five-year contract extension Nov. 12, 2003.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis declined comment about possible efforts to re-sign Johnson and Houshmandzadeh.

"There have been no discussions with the Bengals since we signed the one-year tender (April 14)," said Andy Simms, Houshmandzadeh's agent.

"T.J. would love to be back in Cincinnati. He loves playing for the coach (Lewis). He loves the city."

"We're going to wait and see and finish the season. We don't know anything yet," Simms said.

Houshmandzadeh, in his fourth season, has rebounded from an injury-troubled 2003 season that limited him to two games and no receptions. He had 62 in his first two seasons.

While drawing interest from the 49ers and other NFL teams as an unrestricted free agent, Houshmandzadeh worked himself into the best shape of his NFL career. His hamstring problems are in the past, and he has started nine of the first 11 games in place of injured Peter Warrick.

Houshmandzadeh is five receptions and eight yards from equaling single-season career bests from 2002.

"When T.J. was playing last season, before he got hurt, you could see his abilities," Lewis said. "When I coached against him in the past, remembering back to the guy with the pony tail, you could see the abilities which he possesses.

"I'm happy for him. He has worked so hard. That is where the nickname 'New' has come from: because he is a new T.J. Houshmandzadeh. He has a new spirit about himself."

Warrick, who was placed on injured reserve earlier this month, has one year remaining on his contract. Kelley Washington, the team's No. 3 receiver with Warrick out, has one more year remaining on his before he becomes a restricted free agent.

The Bengals' situation at running back also has been clouded this season by an injury. Rookie Chris Perry, a first-round draft choice, has touched the ball just five times - two rushing attempts and three receptions - and he has not proven he could handle the role of featured back.

During his Monday news conference, Lewis was asked what accomplished running backs coach Jim Anderson - who has helped turn Rudi Johnson into a 1,000-yard runner - might do with Perry.

"Chris, I think, because of Chris's ability to cut, it becomes almost even easier because you're talking about a guy with great ability to cut and burst," Lewis said. "Hopefully, we'll get Chris some snaps and won't have any setbacks this week."

Rudi Johnson has shown he can play featured back in the NFL.

Johnson's 248 rushing attempts are second in the league to the Jets' Curtis Martin (259).

"If there was any doubt that 2003 was an aberration, he's put that to rest," Schaffer said.

Johnson, who had rushed just 17 times for 67 yards in his first two seasons, emerged from the shadow of Corey Dillon to gain 957 yards on 215 attempts in 13 games and five starts in 2003.

"For a running back to come into his own in his third year, it's natural to wonder if he is a one-hit wonder," Schaffer said. "But Rudi has proven that he's no Don McLean. He's the Rolling Stones."

TO BE FREE? Bengals running back Rudi Johnson and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh each had career-best games Sunday against the Browns. Both valuable offensive players are eligible to be unrestricted free agents March 2.

Johnson, the Bengals' fourth-round pick and 100th overall in 2001, had just 17 rushing attempts in his first two seasons. He missed the first three games of 2003 with a quad strain but was just 43 yards short of 1,000, a mark he passed Sunday.

Houshmandzadeh, the team's seventh-round pick in 2001, didn't have a reception in 2003 because of hamstring injuries. He's now just five catches and eight yards short of equaling career highs from 2002. He has made nine starts in 2004.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJ probably won't get a bigtime contract, but I think he will end up in Cincinnati with a contract more along the lines of the average #3 receiver in the league. He probably knows he's not a #2 on most teams in the league. I'm sure we can get TJ signed for a few more years at about $750,000 a year with potential bonuses that could take him up to about $1,250,000. The smart money in signing him is escalators to keep him playing harder and having goals.

I think unless we sign Shawn Alexander, we will sign Rudi. We can't depend on Perry at this point. Besides, I much prefer a bruising Payton style back over a shifty Sanders type back./

Travis Henry will also be an unrestricted free agent next year, and you know he's not happy about losing his job to a guy named Willis! "Whatchu talkin about Willus?"

Also, I think Moe Lewis, Michael Bennet, and Jamal Lewis are in contract years.

I'll take Rudi over any of the four

He can take a beating unlike some of those injury prone runners

You never hear anything off the field about him and

He is a team first player

god i wish we could see what perry could do cuz id rather spend money on the defense than on the rb position. if we are gonna spend top 5 money its on alexander nto rudi. if he wants like 4 mill a year, i say give it to him though. TJ? lol i say get rid of him. so what he had 2 TDs this past week, we'll have warrick back next year and KW too. we really dont need him.

Again, I think Akili and Corey's cap hits are done after this year. I heard that is one reason why the Bengals didn't make a big push in free agency like last year. I think the guys on IR count against the cap too so that problem will be gone at season's end.

Then don't resign TJ, and draft WR first round because the Warrick situation is up in the air.

Hmmm, not sure about that.

You would be left with CJ, & Washington as the only experienced receivers if PDub doesn't make it back. I think that leaves you thin on the receiving corps which won't help Carson Palmer much either.

Warrick retiring? Where did that come from?

I highly doubt it. He stands to make big cake in '05, so that seems pretty unlikley.

I hope he gets healthy. This team functions very nicely with him on the field. Even better once Palmer goes through this first year of starts.

As for the draft, I imagine them going after a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. 1st round will be D. Probably a DT or DE. Maybe a true S. A TE is also probable.

They will not draft a RB next year, they have Perry for a multi-year deal and he will eventually get healthy. If Rudi says Bye-Bye (we'll slap the franchise tag?) then I would hoep we rmake a run at Alexander. Nice guy, local resident, top-flight Rb with ability to run with power and catch the ball.

There is a post in here somewhere that spells out Warrick's contract #'s. If I recall correctly, 2005 he stands to make some major ching. I'll look for it.

Here it is:

QUOTE (JPW @ Nov 25 2004, 09:57 PM)

QUOTE (oldschooler @ Nov 25 2004, 01:16 PM)

Anyway he is signed through 2005.

Are you Sure that he is Signed through 2005 ?

“I’ll come back about 120 percent. I’ll be better than ’03,” Warrick said. Because, “I’m letting my body heal, let my knee heal. Let my shin heal. I’ve got something to prove not to the world, but to me.”

Well I am going to set myself in agreement with him on that....

What a Boost it will be to have a fully healthy Warrick Back next year.

Yep.

Player Profile

Warrick, Peter

View Stats at Players Inc Site

Player Info

Draft Info

WR (#80)

Year: 2000

Cincinnati Bengals

Round: 1

Ellenton, FL

Position: 4

Salary History

2000 193,000.00

2001 400,000.00

2002 1,270,000.00

2003 1,840,000.00

2004 2,060,000.00

2005 2,280,000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subP...e+Player+Search

He originally signed a 7 year deal.

But the last year was voidable. He had his agent

void it before Marvin was hired.

I think TJ is kind of slow. In a perfect world he would beef up a little bit and become our tight end. I think we have to sign Rudi. He's a 25 bruiser type running back and you have to have that in our conference. I would still draft a wide reciever if one of the elite are available (williams, no way, Edwards, I doubt it)

I personally see Warrick retiring.  They can't afford not to sign TJ since he is a cheap receiver for his talent.  They will let him check out the market, but he will find Cincinnati a better long term deal.

How in the hell do you see Warrick retiring? Have you read any of his interviews? He is saying he will be back better than he was in 2003. I don't beleive it, but he does. If he beleives that, he isn't retiring :rolleyes:

Re-sign both, draft a WR first round.

Again, I think Akili and Corey's cap hits are done after this year.  I heard that is one reason why the Bengals didn't make a big push in free agency like last year.  I think the guys on IR count against the cap too so that problem will be gone at season's end.

does anybody know how IR works toward the cap? I was under the impression there was a mechanism to defer part of the IR cap money to the next year (or spread it out somehow). How else do you maintain 10+ IR guys under the cap.

My point is, has IR deferred cap money consumed the dead money that is being freed up?

Again, I think Akili and Corey's cap hits are done after this year.  I heard that is one reason why the Bengals didn't make a big push in free agency like last year.  I think the guys on IR count against the cap too so that problem will be gone at season's end.

does anybody know how IR works toward the cap? I was under the impression there was a mechanism to defer part of the IR cap money to the next year (or spread it out somehow). How else do you maintain 10+ IR guys under the cap.

My point is, has IR deferred cap money consumed the dead money that is being freed up?

I don't believe so. The players replacing those on IR aren't neccessarily break the bank type players. I believe most of them are practice squad players...

I don't believe so. The players replacing those on IR aren't neccessarily break the bank type players. I believe most of them are practice squad players...

Seems like I remember reading IR cap is based on percent time active. But not positive. Maybe somebody can find out for sure.

Webster, Warrick, and Williams are all IR, are they not? I'd guess those 3 are about $8 mill in cap hit when active.

Hobson made a passing reference to the guys on IR pushing dollars into next year (thus reducing the 2005 cap for the team) in his Rudi story, but I have no idea what he was babbling about and, as per usual, he didn't explain. As far as I understood things, guys on IR still count toward the cap; if anything, a team should gain some room in the current year since guys on IR won't hit incentives, and I can't see why the hit in the following year would be any worse than originally projected... :huh: