How good is Palmer?

vettespd20

Note: Whatever you do don't critique Palmer too much or you'll get ripped on from mostly everyone; trust me.

My biggest impression of his first season was the final drive in Sunday's game.  National TV, against stellar defense, and with composure and calmness; he put his team in position to win the game.

No doubt, he has great poise in the pocket for a 1st year guy; his arm looks great; his ability to throw accurate in heavy traffic is amazing.

However, he still needs to start recognizing the blitz!!! Some of his decisions are coming slower than they need to be.

I'm still saying that Palmer is doing an excellent job!!!

Kirk made a really good point here--National coverage, under pressure--and he goes 7 for 8 for 53 yards to win the game. That's almost Montana-like!!!

NICE!!!

:D:D

I think he is a mediocre quarterback at best right now compared to the rest of the talent in the league. That being said I think he is very good for his age and experience. He's got all the qualities you like in a quarterback. He has not looked like a rookie/first year player and has not made as many mistakes that go with inexperience. He will get better with team success, game experience, and guidance. I think he will be a great quarterback and will have much success in his career. Right now I see him for what he is, a first year quarterback still learning how to play the pro game. I can't wait to see him three or four years from now.

i was dissapointed in Palmer until the final drive he had.

he did good and we need to give him time but if he starts struggling and we find out he isn't ready we know we have a great QB in Kitna to put in. Kitna would start on about any other team with the season he had last year.

Would you rather he have forced the ball trying to "make something happen" and a killer turnover result? Because I sure as hell wouldn't be.

He smartly managed a game dictated by the defenses. That is EXACTLY what he should have done. Turnovers are simply killer in games like that. Killer. The Bengals couldn't afford one of those. The interception at midfield was almost bad enough. The Dolphins ended up blinking first with the Simmons pick for six.

That was an efficient job. And in this case, efficient was spectacular.

Well, after two weeks he's ranked 18 out of 37 QBs who've played by sportsline's player rankings. I'm good with that. Let's see how things look as we play out the season...

Interesting. I also note that Steve McNair is 17th, and mention that because he is the other QB to have faced Miami D thusfar.

Miami D is hella good. Palmer did what he had to to win that game. I won't say "case closed", but it's tempting. :)

A few other things to remember about Palmer's throwing the ball Sunday nite. First, he was being pressured quite a bit; second, the receivers were not getting open very well and he had the sense not to try and make something happen; third, there were four or five dropped balls which should have been caught. If you factor all of this in, he did a commendable job. Yes, there were some poorly thrown balls, attribute this to hurry up throws and inexperience.

Barb and WhoDey42 hit the nail on the head:

However, he still needs to start recognizing the blitz!!! Some of his decisions are coming slower than they need to be.

I spoke to my buddy last night and I told him my only critique for Carson was being a little slow in recognizing blitzes and staying in the pocket a bit too long. These are things players learn as experience grows, but it's definitely a thing to put on his checklist on "things to improve".

Conclusively, I think WhoDey42 hits the nail on the head:

I think Palmer did very good for being his 2nd NFL game. He doesnt make a lot of those "rookie qb" mistakes. I'm not sayin he is the greatest, but I think he will be very good. He's going to get better as the year goes on.

He reminds me a lot of Troy Aikman ( only smarter).

I think he'll go far in this league. I'm glad the Bengals got him.

don't get me wrong... i seriously dislike the cowboys but i gotta take exception to this quote. I've listened to aikman - the announcer and he's definatley one of the most intellegent anaylists...hands down. i will be very happy if carson can equal his record on the field.

Carson WILL be the greatest Bengals QB ever.............????????

Carson WILL be the greatest Bengals QB ever.............????????

Agreed! I believe that he will be the best Bengals QB ever and that is saying alot.

He has done nothing to disappoint me so far. For all the Marvin bashers that wanted Kitna, I can say that, I don't think Kitna could have done what Plamer has done in the first two games.

Just remember that this guy also played four years at USC, unlike Akili who only played one.

The best is still yet to come with Carson.