Taking stock of the Dolphins

kevnz

Well already I've heard the comments that the dolphins O sucks. True. But let's compare what they did versus the Titans.

Against the Titans they rushed 20 times for 65 yards at 3.3 yards a carry and a 14 yard run was their longest run and picked up 2 first downs rushing. Yeah that's bad.

Now against the Bengals they rushed 20 times for 25 yards at 1.3 yards a carry and a 8 yard run was their longest run but no first downs running the ball. Sounds a lot worse. This was after they had a week to work on there mistakes.

Advantage, Bengals.

Against the Dolphins Steve McNair only passed for 73 yards....73 frickin yards. But they played with the lead most of the game and they were able to run the ball early against the Dolphins. They ran for 186 against the dolphins, but that was mostly in the first half and was aided by Chris Browns big 52 yard gain. But they only gave up one offensive touchdown as well.

Now any of Bengal Bashing Fans want to write of this game fine, but truth is we beat a extremely good defense and an put a bigger hurt on their offense than a team that is expected to compete for a Super Bowl trip. So what does that tell you?

So what does that tell you?

It tells me that what a few fans (including myself) tried to suggest amidst all the wailing and gnashing of teeth following the Jets loss was ultimately correct: that the Bengals D was not as bad as it looked against Martin and Pennington, and that the Bengals O wasn't as good as it looked versus the Jets D, either.

The Bengals remain a work in progress. But the key word there is "progress," and the team is moving in the right direction. The most encouraging thing to me last night was how mature Carson was. Despite having defenders in his face all night, and no support from the run game, he didn't get agitated, didn't try to force something, and thus did not make The Big Mistake that some Bengals always seems to make in games like these. I think you credit Kitna on that, he was constantly next to Palmer on the sideline. Maybe we can't put Jon's brain in Carson's body, but we're getting the next-best thing.

The Bengals remain a work in progress.

This is exactly right - nothing has really been achieved as yet .....but the wheels are in motion.

Next week will be a stiffer test - bring it on and let's see how far we've come!

The most encouraging thing to me last night was how mature Carson was. Despite having defenders in his face all night, and no support from the run game, he didn't get agitated, didn't try to force something, and thus did not make The Big Mistake that some Bengals always seems to make in games like these. I think you credit Kitna on that, he was constantly next to Palmer on the sideline. Maybe we can't put Jon's brain in Carson's body, but we're getting the next-best thing.

This really stuck-out to me. I think CP handled the pressure much better than Kitna has in the past and I believe a big part of it is how much bigger he is. He seems to feel pressure a little better and stand in pretty well under it. I'm not a Kitna hater, but these are the ugly games where he ALWAYS had at least 1 fumble lost and/or bad int. CP's got a ways to go and he can be rattled, but he's shown surpising poise for this early and he's light years ahead of where I would have expected. More tests next week.

Good post Kevnz, but I disagree on one point that would completely alter that analysis - that the Titans are a quality team. They've lost a lot, and they look to me to be a team on the decline, I say 8-8 record at best. Looking at it like that, the Bengals look to be a mediocre team barely beating a poor team, just like the Titans.

But the Bengals are a young team, they'll improve as the season goes on. Who knows, the playoffs could still be in the cards...

Good post Kevnz, but I disagree on one point that would completely alter that analysis - that the Titans are a quality team. They've lost a lot, and they look to me to be a team on the decline, I say 8-8 record at best. Looking at it like that, the Bengals look to be a mediocre team barely beating a poor team, just like the Titans.

Actually I totally agree with you about the Titans. They are on the downhill slope. I was just saying that a lot of people picked the titans to do well this season, so pro's have even picked them to go to the Super Bowl. And remember a lot of it has to do with perception. Remember people are trying to say it's Miami's o that was so bad, but you have to give credit to the Bengals for making them look worse this week versus how the Titans made them look.

Oddly enough, I think the Dolphins are much better than most think they are---including the columnists in Miami. When Feeley gets a little more time to work, their passing game will revive. Their D keeps them in every game.

They will beat Pittsburgh and Roethlisberger in his first start next week in Miami. Book that.

Miami will get better as the weeks pass and they gel a little bit with all the changes they have had to make and injuries they are weathering.

Also, write off Titans at your own risk. I can't stand them (try rooting for Cincinnati in Tennessee), but Jeff Fisher is the best coach in football in my estimation. Any team with Steve McNair will be a threat. 10 wins for them this year. Again.

Also, write off Titans at your own risk. I can't stand them (try rooting for Cincinnati in Tennessee), but Jeff Fisher is the best coach in football in my estimation. Any team with Steve McNair will be a threat. 10 wins for them this year. Again.

I live in Nashville, and I agree. This team isn't on the decline. They are a better football team than last year. It's just those Colts...Titans can't win against them for some reason.

Oddly enough, I think the Dolphins are much better than most think they are---including the columnists in Miami. When Feeley gets a little more time to work, their passing game will revive. Their D keeps them in every game.

I don't know if I'd say they're "much better," but I don't think their problems are widespread. Obviously, their D is a rock across the board, and they're good at WR and TE. Feely may turn out to be good, remember he's only got 4 more NFL starts than Carson, give him some time. The big issue in Miami is the o-line, which stinks to high heaven. They have four new guys on the line this year and cearly they haven't gelled yet. Fin fans blame Wannstedt's poor coaching for that and from what I've read I agree. Lot of Coslet-era crap, like giving them extra days off after losses. Wanny needs to boot some butts instead.

Again, dunno if I give them 10 wins, but Brown looks like the real deal and you're right about McNair. They'll be a challenge in a few weeks.

You're all wrong.

The Dolphins are atrocius. Sure their defense is tough but nowhere near the level of my Ravens. Feeley w/o a running game is stuck. Their mindset as a team is defeatist and that comes from the top. Wannstedt is just waiting for the guilotine to fall at this point.

And the Titans under Jeff Fisher just win. Yeah I love rooting against them but they just win 10+ games with cap trouble every year. Chris Brown is great for them as long as he can stay healthy.

Marvin is trying to institute a "system" such as Billick and Fisher.

So for future reference don't ever count out the Ravens and Titans. Like a lot of you did after Cleveland's Super Bowl.

You're all wrong.

The Dolphins are atrocius. Sure their defense is tough but nowhere near the level of my Ravens. Feeley w/o a running game is stuck. Their mindset as a team is defeatist and that comes from the top. Wannstedt is just waiting for the guilotine to fall at this point.

And the Titans under Jeff Fisher just win. Yeah I love rooting against them but they just win 10+ games with cap trouble every year. Chris Brown is great for them as long as he can stay healthy.

Marvin is trying to institute a "system" such as Billick and Fisher.

So for future reference don't ever count out the Ravens and Titans. Like a lot of you did after Cleveland's Super Bowl.

Actually, I agree with all of this. Jam is 100% right here.

And I agree 150% with the Wanndstat comments--he's going to the chopping block at the end of the year.

Good call man.

So for future reference don't ever count out the Ravens..... 

Like a lot of you did after Cleveland's Super Bowl.

I think that maybe you have the wrong board ?

The Browns sucked before their game with The Ravens and they still suck.....

The biggest factor in that game was that OGDEN was out.

I had the Browns down for a lost against Dallas and still have them down for ending up last in the division again this year.

I also had The Ravens down for a win last week and still have them as the team to beat in the division.

No way that I am counting The Ravens out....

On the other hand I would not advise that you count The Bengals out either.