2024 Combine

INDIANAPOLIS _ For the third straight year in the same spot at the NFL scouting combine, Bengals special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons said he hopes to bring in another punter to give the incumbent competition leading up to Opening Day.

https://www.bengals.com/news/darrin-simmons-eyes-adding-a-punter-but-has-good-feeling-about-brad-robbins-bengals-get-a-new-fiery-assistant

Somewhere, Kevin Huber is sipping a drink and having a good laugh.

Day 1 winners/losers

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-combine-takeaways-grades-for-top-edge-dl-and-lb-prospects-plus-other-winners-and-losers/

Notable that a lot of DTs are testing well so far. One exception is Newton who didn’t participate. Good day for LB and edge too.

Looks like a pretty bland combine this year overall. No one really blew up or imploded and it doesn’t look like the first round is going to change much. Some shuffling around in the later rounds but that’s pretty normal.

Dont want Bowers

Played in the 220s, showed up up the combine at 243 after being told he was too light to be a NFL TE, but wouldnt run.  Hmm, adding so much weight in such a short time span makes you slower, maybe?

Dont like this disingenuous approach

he's off my "board" entirely

So, to address the Xavier Worth 40 yard dash...
He's definitely going to go in the first round and I have no interest at #18.
That being said, I was routinely taking him in the 2nd round when doing a mock.
He's not the big body WR, but I knew he was fast, productive and adds benefit as a returner.
When Chuck Sizzle went down, there was no one.  Having Tee for another season made that selection more palatable.

Bowers?  I have been in favor of him for quite some time.  Not sure any more.  Not only the weight, but I heard he was poor in the interviews as well.
Ja'Tavion Sanders has become a target for me should he make it to round two, which I am doubtful.
Not quite an apples to apples, but for how much LaPorta was talked up last year, this kid should be in that discussion.
LaPorta had 4 years at Iowa.  153 catches for  1786 yards at 11.7 YPC and 5 TD's.  He ran a 4.5 at 6'3, 245 lbs.
Sanders had 2 years at Texas.  99 catches for 1295 yards at 13.1 YPC and 7 TD's.  He ran a 4.6 at 6'4, 243lbs.

If you want another guy I like at TE, take a look at Theo Johnson.

I saw some videos and got sold on Bowers.    However, my question and this pertains to any potential Free Agent investment in TE.   How are you getting them on the field IF Tee Higgins remains?

Chase/Higgins will play 95%+ snaps when healthy.  Burrow 100% - 5 OL - 100%.  That's 8 guys.    They will play some RB -90% of the time.   So you got 2 spots left.  

A Bowers pick with Tee on the roster basically says goodbye any significant production from 3rd/4th WR.    Then they've always had the "Dru Sample" role so, I would think any high TE pick or FA signing would have to work in that role as well.

Just would be curious to see them work it.   Cause paying that much or drafting that high a TE is no good if they are only playing as frequently as CJ or Hurst. 

I get that argument as well AMPHAR, but I'm just about doing whatever they can to add playmakers at any position they can.
If the best playmaker is a TE and represents a need, I'm probably going to be ok with it much like most positions.
I have literally been saying this for 20 years here on this board when it comes to who they pick in the draft....

"Who else was on the board" ??

Maybe they do take a player many didn't project, simply because sometimes you can't pass up on the talent and value involved.
It's why I am surprised more people weren't happy as shit last year when they took Murphy in the first, when simply viewing the draft at face value.
He might not have been their 1st or 2nd choice going in, but they did like him and he fell, representing a very solid pick.
I may have been high on LaPorta, but I wasn't suggesting taking him the first at any point pre-draft.