my point of view on Who Dey

Dimster28

I know most of you guys will hate me for this. but I have been thinking and research on this. I have question related to Who Dey.

first part focus on who invented first, Who Dey or Who Dat. my biggest puzzled part on is DEY and DAT is black culture words. Cincinnati is black Cultured town?? I dont think so. New Orleans is black cultured town? HELL YES. so I think it is obviously it is Cincinnati Bengals as the copycat one.

second part focus on chant, correct me if I have it wrong, "Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals? Nobody"

I am going to focus on one keyword "think" I think it is pretty obviously every team go into game thinking they will win, if a team dont do that, they dont belong in NFL. so it should be EVERYBODY not NOBODY, they all think they will win but they dont all win in end.

so in end as I always say WHO DEY thing is idiotic.

It is a little silly, I admit.  I remember the Bengals doing it first, but I never watched Saints games very often, because they sucked balls for a very long time in the 70's and 80's.  Cincy has a historical connection to the underground railroad and as a multiple cultural city.  Just as New Orleans has the Cajun, French and Black culture.  I don't think that argument holds up well.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Oh and 

WHO-DEY all day, everyday and especially on Sunday!!!!

I like that the team has a unique chant.  Not even that many teams have anything like it.  A chant, a song, just some kind of collective thing the fans can do in unison.

I don’t know about the Saints Dim, but my recollection is their chant came along way after, and was inspired by, the Bengals’.

4 hours ago, COB said:

I like that the team has a unique chant.  Not even that many teams have anything like it.  A chant, a song, just some kind of collective thing the fans can do in unison.

I don’t know about the Saints Dim, but my recollection is their chant came along way after, and was inspired by, the Bengals’.

this is maybe why I look at this chant differently, I am deaf so I will never be part of collective thing the fans can do in unison lol. that word THINK in chant seriously threw me off and confuse the hell out of me. can you explain this part of chant

my purpose for doing this is because I alway think WHO DEY is dumb my whole life, so I decide to do research to understand this and history behind this, so that way I might respect the word better by understand it. thats why I hope you guys might be able to help me on that.

6 hours ago, Dimster28 said:

that word THINK in chant seriously threw me off and confuse the hell out of me. can you explain this part of chant

When people use the word “think” in this way it has a bit of a double meaning.  

First, it is meant to convey belief.  “Who believes they’re going to beat them Bengals,” would be an accurate interpretation.

Second, when “think” is used in this way there is implied a sort of taunt, a doubting challenge.  For instance if two people are in conflict over money, one may say to the other, “You think you’re going to walk in here and take my money?!”  What that speaker is meaning to imply is that there is no way in hell the other guy is going to take that money.  In fact, if said during a conflict or under duress, that speaker is probably meaning to convey that a physical struggle, a fight, will commence if there is an attempt to take that money.  

That is the why “think” is used in the chant.  Until I read your question about “think”, it never had dawned on me that certain words, for the deaf community, may not hold the same nuance and undertone they hold for the speaking/hearing community.  

• Thanks 1

I never really cared where it came from or if New Orleans started it first.  Matter of fact, I always believed that they did start it first.
I seem to remember reading the origins of WHO DAT came from the 60's at LSU, but I could be wrong.
I also vividly recall Hudepohl beer, "Hudy" was in on the WHO DEY as well when they put it on their cans.
However, as a kid of the 70's and my Dad having season tickets, I don't recall that chant in the stadium before the 80's.

That being said, I still really don't care.  I like the WHO DEY chant and the sing alongs down at the stadium.

COB, I liked your post there for sure !!!

On 4/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, COB said:

When people use the word “think” in this way it has a bit of a double meaning.  

First, it is meant to convey belief.  “Who believes they’re going to beat them Bengals,” would be an accurate interpretation.

Second, when “think” is used in this way there is implied a sort of taunt, a doubting challenge.  For instance if two people are in conflict over money, one may say to the other, “You think you’re going to walk in here and take my money?!”  What that speaker is meaning to imply is that there is no way in hell the other guy is going to take that money.  In fact, if said during a conflict or under duress, that speaker is probably meaning to convey that a physical struggle, a fight, will commence if there is an attempt to take that money.  

That is the why “think” is used in the chant.  Until I read your question about “think”, it never had dawned on me that certain words, for the deaf community, may not hold the same nuance and undertone they hold for the speaking/hearing community.  

yep it is possible it is because of my deaf culture is different. but unfortunately I dont know any other deaf person who are Cincinnati Bengals fan since I am not from Ohio, so I couldnt find out their point of view and see if they feel same as me or not. 

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I never really cared where it came from or if New Orleans started it first.  Matter of fact, I always believed that they did start it first.
I seem to remember reading the origins of WHO DAT came from the 60's at LSU, but I could be wrong.
I also vividly recall Hudepohl beer, "Hudy" was in on the WHO DEY as well when they put it on their cans.
However, as a kid of the 70's and my Dad having season tickets, I don't recall that chant in the stadium before the 80's.

That being said, I still really don't care.  I like the WHO DEY chant and the sing alongs down at the stadium.

COB, I liked your post there for sure !!!

Yep, I do remember Hudepohl beer having a can with it on the label.  Don't remember when though.  Will never forget the beer guy yelling "get your ice cold HUDY here, ice cold beer here!"

On 4/5/2019 at 10:54 PM, Dimster28 said:

I know most of you guys will hate me for this. but I have been thinking and research on this. I have question related to Who Dey.

first part focus on who invented first, Who Dey or Who Dat. my biggest puzzled part on is DEY and DAT is black culture words. Cincinnati is black Cultured town?? I dont think so. New Orleans is black cultured town? HELL YES. so I think it is obviously it is Cincinnati Bengals as the copycat one.

second part focus on chant, correct me if I have it wrong, "Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals? Nobody"

I am going to focus on one keyword "think" I think it is pretty obviously every team go into game thinking they will win, if a team dont do that, they dont belong in NFL. so it should be EVERYBODY not NOBODY, they all think they will win but they dont all win in end.

so in end as I always say WHO DEY thing is idiotic.

“WHO DAT” is cultural saying in that region often found in jazz music way before the Saints were around.

“WHO DEY” chant is original and associated with the Bengals in 1981.  The origins rumored to be several things but it started in 1981 with the drive Super Bowl 16.

The Saints similar chant was started in 1986.  I doubt the Saints copied it off “who Dey” because as said before “who dat” had a larger cultural usage way before the Saints.

They key to all of this, IMO,  is “who Dey” started in 1981 and never went away but before a time NFL was intertwined with pop culture.

The Bears Super Bowl shuffle  and Cleveland Dawg Piund really put forth an interest in pop culture. From that moment any team having a successful season which drives songs, videos, chants, stadium nick names etc.

When the Bengals drove to Super Bowl 23 and the fans innocently revived the old “WHO DeY” chant to some it appeared as a copy of the 1986 Saints “WHO Dat” chant. 

I don’t think anybody copied anybody.    Who Dey was largely associated with Hudepohl beer which for short was Hudey They took it Hu-DEY......

Not saying Hudephol Beer  invented the chant but the phrase is not  based on black culture words it’s based on a short name for a Cincinnati Beer.