Bengals Cut Brandon LaFell

ArmyBengal

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/bengals-cut-brandon-lafell/

The Bengals released LaFell this morning, a move his agent said he had requested.

“We have been lobbying for his release for some time now and appreciate the Bengals granting our request,” agent Jonathan Feinsod.

Well, this helps with Auden Tate reaching the roster.
Agent must have seen the writing on the wall in "lobbying" for his release.
Curious what "some time" actually was ??

The Bengals claim that no request was made and they wouldn't grant that type of request anyway.

Either way, it was the right move and such an un-Bengals like thing to do. They ALWAYS stick with the "wise" veteran longer than they should.

I like LaFell, but it's time for the youth movement. I'm on board.

Yes, very unlike them.  I made a comment not long ago that maybe with the changes made to the coaching staff that views of personnel may change.
It appears to be the case here because, like you said, they typically stick with the "veteran" presence over the youth.
Sure opens opportunity for the young guys trying to make the roster.  I'm excited to see this !!!

When was the last time they cut a Veteran who was still impactful on the field ??
The only WR with more receptions, yards, and TD's than LaFell last year was AJ.
I expected him to be here in 2018 and seriously would not have even raised much question about it.
The fact they released him knowing he could still be one of the top 4 WR's on the team AND his veteran presence speaks volumes in my opinion.
It's not like he was Leon Hall making 10 million dollars for the season either.  He was more than affordable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

When was the last time they cut a Veteran who was still impactful on the field ??
I expected him to be here in 2018 and seriously would not have even raised much question about it.
The fact they released him knowing he could still be one of the top 4 WR's on the team AND his veteran presence speaks volumes in my opinion.
It's not like he was Leon Hall making 10 million dollars for the season either.  He was more than affordable.

This.

4 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I was thinking Lafell was on the bubble before camp and knew he was gone when the TC praise started rolling in for younger players. 

They move on from vet FAs they sign often enough that I’m confused by “unbengal like”.    It’s seems to happen more on the defensive side with a stop gap back 7 player.  

Whether you want split hairs on being cut or just not being pursued for a resign. 

I was expecting La Fell to be gone I guess. 

No big deal I was just trying to think of the last time it happened. Pac-Man was done. Peko was done. Neither was released with time remaining on their contract. I’m seriously trying to remember the last time they cut a veteran player that was still productive.

I never saw or heard anyone here or any analyst flatly state they thought LaFell would be cut. I mentioned I wouldn’t mind it but never thought it would happen.

An easy arguement could be made that it wasn’t a smart move. 

Brandon Tate is one of the big examples.  Year, after year, after year.  

Robert Geathers fits the mold.

Michael Johnson is arguably there now.  He's not finished, but how much value does he still have?

Peko.

Maualuga.

Bodine, until this year...FINALLY.

I'm sure we can find other examples.

No big deal I was just trying to think of the last time it happened. Pac-Man was done. Peko was done. Neither was released with time remaining on their contract. I’m seriously trying to remember the last time they cut a veteran player that was still productive.

I never saw or heard anyone here or any analyst flatly state they thought LaFell would be cut. I mentioned I wouldn’t mind it but never thought it would happen.

An easy arguement could be made that it wasn’t a smart move. 

Posted March 20

On 3/20/2018 at 6:47 AM, TJJackson said: 

Time to start having Redman and Westerman practice snapping the ball.

Please.

Yes, I still want a center no later than R3 (and preferably sooner) but we need a vet player ready to go by the beginning of the season. Have them work with Buckethead unofficially, with Barkley receiving the snaps so we get some use out of him.

Gapcontrol replied:

This what I see on Spotrac ->

Lafell can be cut with no dead money and get us 4 mill on the cap.

Pacman is not back yet.

Winston is not back yet. I hope never.

TJ Johnson and even OByMe can but cut with little dead money... not that MB would... just sayin

Quite a few guys without a dead money hit this year. There is still a way to bring in better OL guys and LBs through trade or late cuts etc.  Got a lot of draft pick capital too.

They can do it if they can make moves during the draft to get someone to replace Lafell for example.

Got to have a C, LT, G and LB in this draft / FA offseason !!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t flatly state that Lafell would be cut but back in March before the draft his 4 mill salary seemed high.  Weirdly, the bengals paid 1.2 mill in bonuses and then cut him.  Seems Lafell thinks he can get more playing time and the same money elsewhere.

To me it’s more of a statement of well they’ve drafted at the WR spot and now that youth is starting to show out vs. a new voice or some systematic change in Bengal thinking. 

LaFell wasn’t on a home grown(drafted) Bengal extension were they ask a player  to take less guaranteed money contractually based on trust and the Bengal “real” deal.

AJ Hawk and several of the stop gap backers fits the LaFell mode.  Probably some vet CBs/S they wheeled through here over the years fit it too.

They’ve  been more home grown on the offensive side.   I think they let the guard from Carolina go after he recovered and once Boling showed he deserved to start. 

Guys like AJ Hawk don't really compare because they were largely ineffective players.

As Army has pointed out, this was the strangest part: hey let him go while his #s we're still good. AND, he was a solid locker room guy by all accounts. 

They simply wanted the youth to shine.

Unlike last year when Jeremy Hill was still "starting" because it was good for Mixon to see a pro out there. 

It seems like this sort of nonsense has left the building.

Good call there Gap !!!

I just don't remember anyone jumping up and down about him needing to go.  We already know they are loyal to a fault when it comes to Veteran players and paying them through their contract.

When we have been discussing Auden Tate's path to making the roster, I mentioned cutting LaFell but followed it up with something like, "which they never do".
Thing is, when anyone else made the argument for Tate making the roster it was at the expense of Core or Malone, but not LaFell.

Not only was he an affordable veteran player, he was still productive.
Last year Boyd, Erickson, and Malone had less receptions and only 1 more TD combined than LaFell.
I know Ross is back and should get a ton of targets, but was the thought that LaFell wasn't still one of the top 4 WR's on the team ??
I find that highly unlikely, but don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about his departure.

F him, he doesn't count... Lol !!
Last year when considering the WR corps, that would have been a grade A stupid ass move.
Let's just cut our #2 WR and roll the dice.  Great idea.

I think the real issue was that we often saw LaFell leading the team in targets, which is absurd when AJ is on the field. And, often, it wasn't even close.

Odd timing.  You think he'd wait for some time in the preseason, when things are a bit more clear cut.  I wonder what exactly made him request his release.  I get the impression he simply doesn't like the Bengals' coaching or management/ownership, or someone on it, possibly on the offensive side, who knows, but it came out of nowhere.

I know they're invested in Boyd and Ross, but neither have proven themselves yet, Ross is a constant injury risk most likely due to his size and recent history if nothing else, as is Malone, Core and Eifert (none of them can stay healthy for very long).  

LaFell was the only real veteran WR outside of AJ, was reliable and productive.  Not a good development in my opinion.  But this is the Bengals, some things don't change.  

Something happened at some point that made him want out.  If he's so egotistic to think he deserves #1-#2 quantity targets consistently somewhere, then he's an idiot - a good player and appreciate his spirit, but kind of clueless if that's the case (just don't think it is since he spent the last 2 years here playing a solid role and not complaining, he produced in a manner he likely will anywhere else, even this season unless Boyd and Ross take-off - and that's still a big ? mark).