New Star Wars movie

volcom69

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but with life so busy have not had a chance to see it yet. Has anyone here seen it yet? I have heard it's as good as the original ones. If it's as good as the Empire Strikes back then that's impressive.

I guess I'm a nerd at heart lol. I'm a huge Gamer as well and Star Wars battlefront is a really fun game to play if your into that sort of thing lol.

You're not a nerd unless you saw The Force Awakens on opening day with all the other nerds. Like me. And I'll be going again today for another viewing before I finally have to roll back into the office tomorrow morning.

TFA is what it most needed to be: a great Star Wars movie. It picks up 20 years after the events of Return of the Jedi (the final film in the original trilogy) and is in many ways a huge nostalgia fest, yet is a satisfying film in its own right. Writing, direction and casting are solid to excellent. It completely ignores the prequel trilogy, so much so that it almost seems like it's flipping those movies the bird, which is fine by me because the prequels suck donkey balls.

If you want an excellent non-spoiler review, I reccomend John Scalzi's:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/12/18/my-non-spoilery-review-of-the-force-awakens/

I will say they've really upgraded the movie theatre since I last went. Big, soft, push button recliners that felt like leather but who knows. It was dark. Wide isles, easy to get up and out to the bathroom without everyone having to pull their recliners in. Beer and wine at the concession stand, incredible sound systems that comes at you from all directions, and in 3D, it seemed that storm troopers were running past you as you ducked X-Wing fighters screaming past your head. I was at the point of sensory overload.

Yeah, things are a lot more comfy than when I saw the first Star Wars!

In bigger markets you are seeing theaters basically going full restaurant, complete with table service while you watch the film. Literally, dinner & a movie.

My local IMAX tried to do that a year or so ago but the local temperance brigade had a sheot fit when they applied for a permit to sell beer and wine, and they eventually gave up.

I took my 5-year old to see it and it was one of the greatest parenting moments of my life.

She's been watching the original trilogy since she was 4 and is well-versed in the story/characters.  To see her face as the opening sequence played was something magical.  She could hardly sit still the entire time.

On the way out of the theater, she grabbed my hand, kissed it, and said, "I'm glad I have a Daddy like you".  Seriously kid?  She knows how to pull all my strings.  If she asks for a car next week, I'll likely say yes.

12370706_10156411739055253_3602897388466220345_o.jpg

As for the movie itself, I thought it was a lot of fun.  Yeah, you can nitpick it and a lot of people are.  But, any problems you want to point out with this one can be found in the original trilogy as well.  The originals have been glorified so much, people seem to forget that they have poor character development, plot holes, bad acting, etc.  But, it doesn't matter...Star Wars movies aren't meant to be arthouse cinema.  It's a fun sci-fi romp with amazing special effects.

Enjoy it for what it is, folks, and remember what it is to be a kid again.

• Like 3

That's awesome Skyline I'm getting my 5 year old daughter to watch the original ones as well, I just got them in blu ray.

Im not worried what others say, but I did hear Disney and JJ Abrams did awesome with the movie.

Glad you enjoyed the movie and your daughter did as well. 

On December 28, 2015 at 2:31:34 PM, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, things are a lot more comfy than when I saw the first Star Wars!

In bigger markets you are seeing theaters basically going full restaurant, complete with table service while you watch the film. Literally, dinner & a movie.

My local IMAX tried to do that a year or so ago but the local temperance brigade had a sheot fit when they applied for a permit to sell beer and wine, and they eventually gave up.

Fort Wayne has a theatre that has been doing the full restaurant experience for decades now.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Sometime Monday The Force Awakens will pass Avatar's $760 million to become the reigning all-time US box office champ.

It will have taken the movie 18 days. Unreal.

That is crazy. If I remember Star Wars was the biggest seller in the 80s as well until E.T. came out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's terrific. Saw it last Sunday a.m. Ryan Reynolds was born to play Deadpool, and the writers clearly get the character. I didn't stop laughing from the opening credits. Its also a surpisingly sweet movie for all the violence and crude humor, the romance at the center really works in its own twisted way. Reynolds and Morena Baccarin have great chemistry and every scene with the two of then sings. Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead) is a great foil and they way they use Colossus as the straight man is hilarious. And TJ Miller as Weasel is perfect. Four out of four stars from me. Warning, not for young kids obviously!