Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

Going BPA would almost certainly yield Agholor or one of the top 2 RBs in the first, DE Henry Anderson or Justin Hardy in the 2nd.

The trouble is, after re-signing MJ, they're almost certainly not going to pursue a DE with a top pick. And with Bernard and Hill, picking a running back in the first is plain loco. Trading down, not just in the first but maybe even in the second, still looks to me like the most attractive option if there are BPAs that don't at all fit our needs.

Looking at Harvey's choices, I'd be ok with Agholor or Fisher. I don't want Gregory because I think he'll end up as another Josh Gordon: an incredible talent who will get his ass suspended out of the NFL in a couple years because he can't stay away from the ganja.

Call me silly, but I'd be good with them taking a chance on DGB rather then grabbing Agholor in the first.

When was the last USC WR worth a d*mn in the NFL ?? For a college to bring such "talent" into the NFL, they don't do much once there.

Agholor might be something amazing, but history is certainly working against him.

Call me silly, but I'd be good with them taking a chance on DGB rather then grabbing Agholor in the first.

When was the last USC WR worth a d*mn in the NFL ?? For a college to bring such "talent" into the NFL, they don't do much once there.

Agholor might be something amazing, but history is certainly working against him.

While I don't think they should draft DGB (or any other significant character risk) before the 3rd, if it's between those two and it's the first round DGB is the one who looks like a dominant talent on the field.

I had just convinced myself to 95% certainty that there would be someone the team would be excited about at 21 and then I plug Harvey's board into a mock and now I'm looking around for trade partners. A team looking for RB or CB help, perhaps?

If they end up trading down in both the first two rounds, they had better be collecting picks for next years draft or bundling the new picks to jump higher in rounds 2 and 3 to get the guy they want this year. There just is not enough room on the roster for 4th round or lower players this season.

I can see stock piling picks for next years draft, to make sure they can fill any holes left after all the FA on the team next season get situated.

Dallas at 27. They need a running back but are behind Detroit and Baltimore. Would cost a 4th to move up, and if they wanted the Bengals could use that to move as high as 9th in the second.

This right here. I mentioned Dallas in a conversation at work the other day and it went the same way in regards to compensation.

I would be more than thrilled with that scenario depending on who is there for the picking when we go on the clock.

If they end up trading down in both the first two rounds, they had better be collecting picks for next years draft or bundling the new picks to jump higher in rounds 2 and 3 to get the guy they want this year. There just is not enough room on the roster for 4th round or lower players this season.

I can see stock piling picks for next years draft, to make sure they can fill any holes left after all the FA on the team next season get situated.

I don't think the Bengals are sitting high enough in any round to get picks in 2016, unless they are willing to straight up give up a pick this year.

Meaning, they give up a 2nd round pick this year for some in 2016. I don't see them wanting to do that with all the free agents in 2016 coming due.

Honestly, I see there being a ton of value in the 3rd and 4th round of the draft this year.

While they probably won't see the field this year, everything would be on the table in 2016 and set the team up well.

Either way around, I don't see but maybe one rookie getting much playing time in 2015 unless there is an injury of some sort.

Dallas at 27. They need a running back but are behind Detroit and Baltimore. Would cost a 4th to move up, and if they wanted the Bengals could use that to move as high as 9th in the second.

This right here. I mentioned Dallas in a conversation at work the other day and it went the same way in regards to compensation.

I would be more than thrilled with that scenario depending on who is there for the picking when we go on the clock.

I don't think the Bengals are sitting high enough in any round to get picks in 2016, unless they are willing to straight up give up a pick this year.

Meaning, they give up a 2nd round pick this year for some in 2016. I don't see them wanting to do that with all the free agents in 2016 coming due.

Honestly, I see there being a ton of value in the 3rd and 4th round of the draft this year.

While they probably won't see the field this year, everything would be on the table in 2016 and set the team up well.

Either way around, I don't see but maybe one rookie getting much playing time in 2015 unless there is an injury of some sort.

I agree that the talent in the fourth looks good, but past it the picks probably wont make the team. This is not the year to collect 6-7 round picks and have 10 plus bodies. No since in wasting picks, move up into round 2 or 3 and get a smaller group of more talented guys. Come on Thursday!

I think there might be more slots than it seems, RBB. Just depends on where the picks fall. There's room for guys to win a spot at WR, OL, CB, LB and TE, maybe more than one spot at TE, OL and LB. Maybe more than one even at WR.

That said, if they were able to bank a top-three-round selection in 2016 somehow I wouldn't complain.

How difficult is it for these kids to stop smoking weed for a few months...Shane Ray just got busted.

Could drop to the 4th now...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/28/as-shane-rays-stock-plummets-talk-that-he-could-fall-to-round-4/

Y'know, if the Bengals get to that 3rd round comp pick and he's still on the board, wtf, go for it. :)

I think there might be more slots than it seems, RBB. Just depends on where the picks fall. There's room for guys to win a spot at WR, OL, CB, LB and TE, maybe more than one spot at TE, OL and LB. Maybe more than one even at WR.

That said, if they were able to bank a top-three-round selection in 2016 somehow I wouldn't complain.

There are spots, but the talent isn't there past round 4 for many of them to stick on the team, unless there are issues with the player. Like I said come on Thursday! I'm tired of talking about what if, ready to move on to the analysis of the player the Bengals think fits best.

How difficult is it for these kids to stop smoking weed for a few months...Shane Ray just got busted.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/28/as-shane-rays-stock-plummets-talk-that-he-could-fall-to-round-4/

Y'know, if the Bengals get to that 3rd round comp pick and he's still on the board, wtf, go for it. :)

3rd round comp pick for a top 10 talent ?? No brainer and why he won't last that long.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Bengals grabbing him even earlier if he fell.

That's nothing but the Bucs hoping he falls. Nothing like spoiling things further hoping he's there for them to pick.

My money would be on the Bucs grabbing him at the top of the 2nd and laughing all the way.

I like Ray and think he's a good kid who made a poor decision. Bad timing ?? Sure. Bone head move ?? Sure.

Bad character kid ?? I'm not there.

He was featured in some ESPN show and depicted his upbringing and the fact his Dad (once NFL player) was in jail and all Shane wanted to do was make a name for himself at Missouri (same school his Dad played at). His mother is very focal in his life and he's overcome a lot to get where he is.

I could be wrong about the kid, but I don't think he's the type of character risk that's being depicted.

I agree with this as well. While there might not be rookies starting this season, there are spots up for grabs.

Take a look at who we have on the roster right now and there's certainly room to upgrade depth at a minimum.

Looking at the first three rounds by position, if I'm the Bengals my dream draft for those first four picks includes:

-- a TE who can start opposite Eifert in 2015. Receiving skills a plus but good blocking/pass pro a must.

-- An OL, DB and WR. All three position groups have multiple key guys set to be FAs in 2016. I'd love to get some good prospects in now and training up ahead of next season so I don't risk having to draft a bunch of guys to start next April.

Yes - it's true there's not a lot of room in the starting lineup but there is a lot of opportunity to fill in depth at the spots you listed. And, frankly, maybe starters at LB and TE, depending on how those guys recover from injury.

A note I found on walterfootball today...

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu's Injury Worse Than Advertised

Updated April 22, 2015

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

A few months ago, Oregon cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was in the running to be the top-ranked corner, but then he suffered a knee injury during bowl practice before Oregon's game against Florida State. It was said to be a torn ACL, but team sources I've spoken to say the knee injury was much worse and was along the lines of Marcus Lattimore or Willis McGahee's rather than a simple ACL tear like the one suffered by Georgia running back Todd Gurley or Texas A&M offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi.

Sources say that Ekpre-Olomu tore more than an ACL and there was a variety of damage done to his knee. At one point, there were some teams' medical staffs that were wondering if lingering effects of the injury would force Ekpre-Olomu to retire before every playing again, like Lattimore. However, recent checks have been more positive and teams feel that Ekpre-Olomu has a shot at playing again.

The injury is significant enough, however, that some teams are putting Ekpre-Olomu in their undrafted prospect group. A contact from one team thinks that Ekpre-Olomu could have a shot at going on day three of the draft like Lattimore did, but their team doesn't have a round grade on Ekpre-Olomu because of the medical report. They have Ekpre-Olomu as an undrafted free agent as well.

I was wondering what happened to him after the injury as he all but vanished from the boards. Fuggit, if he's there in the 7th pick him, stick him on IR and see what you have next year. If it's nothing, it's not like that 7th round pick was likely to make an impact either.

http://profootballta...all-to-round-4/

Y'know, if the Bengals get to that 3rd round comp pick and he's still on the board, wtf, go for it. smile.gif

I'd be happy if the Bengals took Shane Ray, just as I'd be happy if they took Randy Gregory.

If ever there was a backroom designed to deal with redemption projects then it's the Cincinnati Bengals backrroom.

Ok, La'al Collins just one-upped everyone: Baton Rouge cops want to question him in connection with the murder of a 29-year-old woman who was 8 months pregnant (baby survived, she didn't). They say he is not considered a suspect, but this can't possibly help him Thursday.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/28/cops-want-to-talk-to-lael-collins-in-murder-investigation-not-a-suspect/

Not a suspect is a really good thing to be labeled in a murder investigation, but that can't possibly help him in the least.

Why would that information even come out if he's not a suspect ?? What's the point ??

Some scout at the bottom of the round probably found out and leaked it to the media.

Here's a snippet cut n pasted from the dot com

“I believe we have six picks in the first four rounds, so it gives us an opportunity to add guys whom, in my opinion, ought to be significant players by some point next season,” Lewis said. “Maybe not necessarily this season, but hopefully through the 2016 season at some point. We have to make sure we select people like that.”

It affirms Marvin Lewis's previous statement that the Bengals aren't looking to draft starters this year, but are looking to let the draftee's sit and learn before stepping into the fray in 2016.

To me this raises three interesting points.

Firstly that the Bengals will be drafting to replace players likely to not be re-signed next season and with something like 28 players out of contract in 2016 who is that likely to be - where do they think the priority lies in terms of player/positions? Will the draft give any indication on who they either don't think will re-sign or that they won't be looking to re-sign?

Secondly, it intimates that the Bengals are happy with the roster as is. Does that mean the wideout we are all anticipating is already on the team? Does that mean that Burfict''s rehab will be allowing him to return to full fitness in 2015. Does that mean that either with or without Gresham the tight end depth doesn't need any help in 2015?

Thirdly, if the Bengals aren't looking to add players to make an impact in 2015 then perhaps a trade-down in the draft is not only an option but a likelihood?

I've made the point many times that we probably won't see any rookies starting this season.

The exception could be the TE spot or maybe OLB, but even that is limited.

I think WR absolutely HAS to be one of the positions they draft in relation to the 2016 free agents.

AJ will likely get tagged and then you have both Jones and Sanu to consider. You can't pay them all and I don't even think they should.

Draft a guy that can take the place of at least one of those guys and let them move on. A lot is riding on Jones' season in 2015.

I don't think much can be read into Burfict's rehab at this point and I fully expected them to address the OLB position before he got hurt.

Again, TE is the one spot I think is up for grabs and we could see a rookie get significant playing time.

Heck, even if they were to draft a DT in the first, I would bet Peko would still get the lions share of snaps.

Trade down ?? Sure, i'm all for it depending on who is still on the board, but as the saying goes, it takes two to tango.

Hoosier and I were talking about Dallas yesterday and we need to hope a RB falls to our spot to make that more likely.

I still think someone falls they weren't expecting to be there and makes it hard for them to pass.

It will be fun to see what happens. Hopefully I can wrap up my freakin' homework and be able to watch.

Not counting on it though.

Trade down ?? Sure, i'm all for it depending on who is still on the board, but as the saying goes, it takes two to tango.

Hoosier and I were talking about Dallas yesterday and we need to hope a RB falls to our spot to make that more likely.

I still think someone falls they weren't expecting to be there and makes it hard for them to pass.

With every top prospect who turns up on a police blotter, the value of every pick outside of about the top 10 takes a significant ding. Our 21 today is looking more like 24 from a few weeks ago. There were not many top prospects in this draft to begin with. The top guys that are left will not slide. Now everyone with roster holes will be desperate to trade back. The Lions are talking openly of it.

That said, the value of picks in the teens are getting hit, too. If one of those teams is eager to trade back, maybe it won't cost as much today as it would have a few weeks ago. Say a guy they like is still there at 15. Maybe it's time to get crazy like a fox and trade ... up?

Maybe it's time to get crazy like a fox and trade ... up?

Interesting point Walrus, and again one that isn't out of the realms of possibility.

This is the most intriguing draft I can remember in terms of the number of different ways the Bengals could go and the trade up / down options too. Should be a fun night and a pre-cursor to a fun season WHODEY !!! thumbsup3.gif

Trading up is certainly worth considering but the Bengals aren't in a position to do so without giving up a lot.

Their fourth is only enough to move up one spot.

Their third could get them to 17 at best.

Their second could get them as high as 13. If they packaged their second and third they could get to 10.

So let's look at some possibilities using CBS' mock drafts here:

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

At 10, they have these four guys going:

La'el Collins

Amari Cooper

Andrus Peat

Brandon Scherff

Do you give up a second and a third for any of those guys? Those are some good players but I don't think any of them are worth that price.

At 13 your choices are:

Vic Beasley

Arik Armstead

Randy Gregory

Andrus Peat

Anyone you're willing to sacrifice your second for? Talent-wise maybe Gregory, but not with all his flags.

At 17 you get:

Melvin Gordon

Todd Gurley

I wouldn't part with a 7th,much less a third, to get a RB, but here's where it gets interesting: Prisco still has Scherff on the board. If the Chargers were willing (and why not, they'd almost certainly still be able to get atop back at 21) I would have to think very hard about offering that third rounder to snag the best OT in the draft. If the Bengals were to trade up I would say that a swap with SD would be the most likely place to do it. However, let's look at 21:

Andrus Peat

Erik Flowers

DGB

TJ Clemmings

With Landon Collins and Shane Ray still among other options. Given that level of quality likely available at 21, it's even tougher to justify a move up. I think something really unexpected would need to happen.