Bengals, Dalton Closing in on Deal

HoosierCat

My biggest complaint right now about Dalton - His contract negotiation is blocking the contract that I think the Bengals should really get done - Burfict's. I really think Burfict is one of the best players in the NFL, and to have a mediocre talent like Dalton holding up his deal bothers me.

To answer your question, sky, yes, the Dalton deal looks fine in hindsight. The bad deal, it turned out, was the one referenced above -- Burfict's. He took up $6 million in cap space last year for like 4 games and is set to count $5 million against the cap this year. And it's up in the air as to whether he even gets back on the field this year (or ever).

At the time, the deal was great. And, it may still be. If they don't make it, he could have made some serious coin this offseason and we'd really be up a creek at the LB position.

Fingers crossed he comes back strong this year.

Amen to this. In my mind his level of play warranted an even higher deal. Look at guys like Ellerbe and Posluzny. Burfict makes less and is a better LB.

I hope he gets his body right and comes back with a vengeance. Whodey.

It's a shame ReyM is taking up $6.8m of cap space this year, and gets hurt a lot, on top of being a below-average NFL LB who should be making more like $2.5m instead.

No problem with the Burfict deal, he was not a constant-injury liability and is an All-Pro gamble, ReyM is a waste and a drain at this point, very replaceable.

Oh, I don't have a problem with the Burfict deal either. But there's no denying that it's blown up in their faces. Hopefully Vontaze comes back at 100% but there's plenty of reason to doubt that will be the case.

I bring it up because the bengals are fond of citing past FA flops (TO, Odom, Bryant) as reasons not to spend on outside FAs. But if you apply that scaredy-cat logic to you own guys, you shouldn't spend on them either (see Geno, Hall, Burfict). And of course lots of first round picks bust (hi Akili!) so they probably should trade all those away just to be safe.

If there's one fundamental problem with this organization from the top down, it's a lack of cajones. They lack killer instinct on the field. Coaching and play calling too often play it safe. And the front office trembles and quakes before every big decision. It's like no one has any faith in what's been built and is afraid a single ill-timed fart will bring it to ruin.

They have history of being innovative on the field... All that happened before Mike Brown took over though. I thought Gruden was a bold move when they took him on. Boom or bust. That was unlike them. His in game management and play calling was atrocious so I label him a bust. Hiring him showed some cajones, however.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...