Bengals Going "Moneyball" in 2015

HoosierCat

Interesting article. I still think these kind of analytics are next-to-impossible in football but we'll see.

/>http://data-informed.com/cincinnati-bengals-take-moneyball-approach-talent-evaluation/

(One aside: I guess the deal is, if you want a job for Cincy, change your name to "Geoff.")

The Bengals have certainly done well with drafting over the past handful of years and those players either have or will come due to resign.

We are seeing that now with AJ, Dalton, Burfict and that will continue with others as well like Gresham, Marvin Jones, and Sanu.

How they spend that money moving forward will be interesting to watch.

I've said it many times before and will say it again, it has been a long time since the Bengals have had this much talent on the roster and there is simply no way they can pay everyone. Choices have to be made and we have and will continue to see better than average players leave the team. You see it from other teams that are always competitive and the Bengals are no different.

The choices will tell the story. How all that data plays into it is something I would rather not think about.

My days at work are filled with everyone under the sun collecting data and I don't want to think about it when it comes to football.

How all that data plays into it is something I would rather not think about.

My days at work are filled with everyone under the sun collecting data and I don't want to think about it when it comes to football.

Memo to self: next Halloween show up at Army's door wearing a giant football with a dollar sign on it, a computer for a head and two percent signs for arms. Yell "booga booga booga" and laugh as Army runs screaming... ;)

I wouldn't say that gut feel is worthless. There's an art as well as a science to picking good players. But yeah, it's impressive to see this kind of long-term commitment to player analysis.

My question is whether it yields any better info than the more traditional metrics.

My question is whether it yields any better info than the more traditional metrics.

Bottomline for me is that I would welcome ANY data that might lead to a Super Bowl victory before I die.

I just don't really want to spend time thinking about it. Just f*cking win. :lol: