Bengals @ Chargers Pregame Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think this team can an emotional high like the Ravens fid last year or do we think the mental part of the game is overplayed?

I think it depends on the reason motivating that emotional high.

When Zimmer lost his wife, the team rallied around him, but it didn't carry them through.

The talent on the team plays a part in that as well. If a team has a reason to be emotionally motivated, but sucks, does it matter ??

The situation may matter, but the outcome won't be any different.

Ray Lewis announcing retirement last year on a Ravens team that was still very talented made a big impact.

Had he been traded to the Jaguars the season before and made the same announcement, would you think the outcome would be the same ??

I know no one is saying that, but I just think things need to marry up for it to make a huge difference.

Does anyone else think this team can an emotional high like the Ravens fid last year or do we think the mental part of the game is overplayed?

I think it depends on the reason motivating that emotional high.

When Zimmer lost his wife, the team rallied around him, but it didn't carry them through.

The talent on the team plays a part in that as well. If a team has a reason to be emotionally motivated, but sucks, does it matter ??

The situation may matter, but the outcome won't be any different.

Ray Lewis announcing retirement last year on a Ravens team that was still very talented made a big impact.

Had he been traded to the Jaguars the season before and made the same announcement, would you think the outcome would be the same ??

I know no one is saying that, but I just think things need to marry up for it to make a huge difference.

I don't think the outcome would have been the same! I don't think the Ravens would have won the SB! Even though he stayed and announced retirement, the Ravens did not play consistent at all during the season, kind of like the Bengals this year. But when it came crunch time, they rallied and did so with a bunch of injuries as well, as Marvin pointed out to the Bengals when Geno went down!!

I agree wholeheartedly that the team needs to have the talent in place, which this Bengal team does, in order to have the mental aspect play a part.

Again, I revert back to what Whit said. The season with Zimmer's wife, that team did not have the chemistry that this team does.

Anybody else feel free to weigh in. These are the kind of threads and posts I love to get opinions on and the kind I started in the other forum, but it was just a waste of time there.

I also think there were several kids in the other forum, pretending to be adults which adds to the foolishness factor!

I have no doubt the talent is there, but I don't know if there is the right emotional motivator.

Injuries happen, so I can't say Geno or Hall going down are considered any more than part of the game.

Thomas Howard wasn't a Bengal even though he was well thought of here.

I would rather the Bengals simply play consistent football with the talent they obviously have on the roster.

Get emotionally motivated to NOT turn over the football, drop passes, and make dumb mistakes.

Well, like Yogi said 90 percent of the game is half mental.

I think teams tend to get on rolls, for lack of a better term. And getting hot at the right time can make the difference, like it did for Baltimore. To use another cliche, success tends to breed success. We see that with this team, which has been noticeably streaky, both game to game and within games.

What I like about this years squad is that they keep fighting when things aren't going well. It doesn't always matter in the end but they have gone down swinging. After spending more than a decade watching a team that folded at the first punch, that's a relief,

I have no doubt the talent is there, but I don't know if there is the right emotional motivator.

Injuries happen, so I can't say Geno or Hall going down are considered any more than part of the game.

Thomas Howard wasn't a Bengal even though he was well thought of here.

I would rather the Bengals simply play consistent football with the talent they obviously have on the roster.

Get emotionally motivated to NOT turn over the football, drop passes, and make dumb mistakes.

The reason I bring up Thomas Howard is because I read somewhere, where Peko is making up armbands with whatever his number was with the Bengals for the team to wear for the rest of the year.

Burfict is the 'Ray Lewis' of the Bengals as far as talent, potential, and motivation.

As far as offense, I think Flacco and Dalton, outside of Flacco's superior arm, are very similar QBs, not just talent, but also their demeanor.

I remember Flacco throwing 5 picks against Buffalo!

I believe that there is every quality on this Bengals team, that the Ravens had last year, including key injuries going into the stretch.

Potentially, I think they can overcome and win in spite of Marvin.

As I've said before, I think Sunday is the 'poop or get off the pot' game for the Bengals. It's not a 'must' win as far as standings go, per say, but momentum wise and mentally, I think it's crucial.

They win Sunday, the only away game left is Pittsburgh, and they won the last one there last year, and beat them at home this year.

Practice report from SD:

Antonio Gates, Nick Hardwick and Darrel Stuckey are practicing Friday and for the first time this week.

According to Mike McCoy, Gates was rested Wednesday and Thursday.

Stuckey (concussion) left last Sunday's game at Kansas City. Hardwick (stinger) missed part of the Broncos game Nov. 10 but has made 61 consecutive starts.

Ryan Mathews (hamstring) and King Dunlap (neck) are practicing for the second day in a row after not practicing Wednesday. Both were limited particpants Thursday.

Eddie Royal (toe) hasn't practiced since he was injured Oct. 14 against the Colts.

First off, happy Thanksgiving to all! This is a very winnable game for us. As long as we don’t beat ourselves, we should be fine. Burfict is questionable and I see him playing Sunday! Crocker and Maualuga should be playing as well.

CIN: 10th in scoring, 10th in offense (20th rushing, 10th passing); 6th in scoring defense, 7th in defense (10th rushing, 6th passing), T-17th in turnover margin at minus-2.

SD: 13th in scoring, 6th in offense (17th rushing, 4th passing); T-15th in scoring defense, 29th in defense (17th rushing, 27th passing), T-22nd in turnover margin at minus-4.

Keys to winning; avoid turnovers, limit three and outs, don’t make stupid penalties, Sustain long drives and turn them into touchdowns. Coaches need to call good plays and manage the clock wisely. Run the ball down their throats, and blitz Rivers all day long! One last thought, if there is time left in the first half and we get the ball (no matter what the score is) don't run the clock out - go down and score before half time. If we're ahead at the end of the game, don't settle for taking time off the clock, focus on driving down the field to score. Try acting like the Buckeyes and just run the score up if we can! Show the world that we're contender for the World Championship.

At the post game press conference, I don't want to hear Marvin and Dalton talking about how we need to play better, or we that we need to get better, or how we need to fix things, or figure out how to stop making mistakes, etc. I want to hear, that we had a great win, now we're focused on Luck and the Colts!

Listening to quite a few radio prognosticators and they for the most part have completly written off the Bengals for this game. Not only that, but they've pretty much gone ahead and given the Ravens the go ahead to win the division.

The Bengals for as inconsisent as they have been on offense in the last 3 weeks, haven't LOST A GAME in regulation since SEPTEMBER.

Being overlooked is their defensive performance, their last 3 of 4 games are at home where they are 5-0, and the fact that in the last 3 games that the offense has struggled they've played solid defenses. When Andy Dalton gets time to throw, he is a completey different quarterback. I think Dalton gets time to throw Sunday and if the Bengals can get some pressure on Rivers, they win this game going away.

Listening to quite a few radio prognosticators and they for the most part have completly written off the Bengals for this game. Not only that, but they've pretty much gone ahead and given the Ravens the go ahead to win the division.

Typical. No matter how well the Bengals do, for the media they're just one bad game away from the Bungles. Pittsburgh is just the opposite, no matter how bad they are, one win over a crappy team and they are playoff bound.

I hate the sports media more every year.

I'm just hoping they run the ball today, and win doing it. I really think if they want to go anywhere, they need to get that going. No more throwing it 40-50 times a game, I can't believe that's the kind of team Marvin wants to be. So hopefully starting today they can get that running game going and get out of there with a win!