Bengals @ Chargers Pregame Thread

HoosierCat

Yeah, I know we have the bye week, but may as well keep an eye on developments out west.

For you Bengals history buffs, the team has a surprisingly decent record in SD. Overall they are 6-10 there, but subtract three losses in the early to mid-90s when they simply lost to everyone and they are just half a game under .500 in SD. The teams have met four times under Marvin Lewis and are 2-2. In those games they are 1-1 at SD. However, they are on a two-game winning streak against the Chargers, beating them 34-20 at PBS in 2010 and 20-13 in SD last year. They were down 13-10 in that latter game before Dalton led two fourth-quarter drives in a come-from-behind win. The D made life miserable for SD QB Phillip Rivers, who was sacked four times and threw one pick and no TDs.

The 4-6 Chargers have lost three straight and play Kansas City at Arrowhead this week, so that skid could deepen. Their defense and run game are mediocre, but Rivers & Co. are still dangerous through the air. I feel surprisingly good about this one considering it's a West Coast game. If the Bengals can keep running the ball they way they did in the last three quarters of the Cleveland game, they can win this.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would appear the Chargers are having all kinds of issues on the defensive side of the ball.

Along with that, they had to move the rookie Fluker over to LT and he has problems with the speed rushers.

If this holds true after the bye week, I feel pretty good about how we will match up with them.

I really want to see a focus on the running game and would rather not see Dalton airing it out 50 freakin' times.

What I also don't want to see happen is the Bengals come out and play soft against a team with nothing to lose.

Sounds like Melvin Ingram may be back for the Bengals game.

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10007207/melvin-ingram-san-diego-chargers-practices-first

He just got off the PUP, and bolts site say he was rusty and not certain to play. Either way, he's not necessarily in big boy foosball shape.

I'm eager to see how Dalton deals with better playcall balance. Manning and Thomas scorched the bolt secondary, gotta imagine Gruden will be tempted to light them up, too. I hope they are more balanced. not 50-50, but close.

Chargers injury roundup from yesterday's game. It doesn't look like anyone was seriously hurt thankfully, but a lot of dings.

/>http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/nov/24/dj-fluker-chargers-injury-ryan-mathews-liuget/

Here's a better list:

/>http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/nov/24/dj-fluker-chargers-injury-ryan-mathews-liuget/

I'd say Fluker and Ryan Matthews injuries are the ones to watch

Pretty happy they won against the Chiefs, actually. They got off the skid with a huge win. Looks like it's time for a letdown game!

I'm with you. Our track record has been 0-2 this year against hungry losing streak teams (Miami and Baltimore)

Both teams are coming off big wins after losing streaks, so I see no advantage or disadvantage there.

Again, like the Great One (PB) said, "It's a game of errors. Whoever commits the fewest usually wins!"

I will predict that if the Bengals win the turnover war, with no injuries, we'll come back home 8-4.

Hoping to be at the game. Bengals D will suffocate Rivers, plus he's a crybaby so it will b fun to watch him implode.

Looks like a great day for a game. Early forecast is for sunny skies, 68 degrees, 0% chance of rain and a nice 6 mph breeze out of the south. Perfect weather for Dalton & Co. to abuse SD's lackluster secondary.

The mindset of the team must shift to run first for the playoffs. The AFC North recipe. When they force the run, the pass opens up beautifully. I think San Diego will be coming off big emotional win, full of turkey, and will have a let down. They have a bad record for a reason. The only reason the Bengals aren't 10-1 is an extreme amount of turnovers and penalties. I'm really thinking Dalton has nice efficient day. 3 tds.