Colts @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Short week this week. I hate the last preseason game. Only bad things can happen.

And speaking of bad things, Reedy says that there is increasing concern that Whit will not be ready for the opener against the Bears. Looks like Gilligan will be OK, though.

Yeah, I don't like the last preseason game at all.

You typically don't see much of the starters (which the less is better for me) and I think most of the spots have been determined by that point.

My goal for that game is to see so little of the starters (if any) that I miss the time they were getting snaps.

Honestly at this point, there isn't much the coaches need to figure out. They know what they do and don't have.

Now it's sitting and waiting for the cuts to happen.

I also don't care how this game turns out. Win 42-0 or lose 42-0, I couldn't care less.

Yeah, I don't like the last preseason game at all.

You typically don't see much of the starters (which the less is better for me) and I think most of the spots have been determined by that point.

My goal for that game is to see so little of the starters (if any) that I miss the time they were getting snaps.

Honestly at this point, there isn't much the coaches need to figure out. They know what they do and don't have.

Now it's sitting and waiting for the cuts to happen.

I also don't care how this game turns out. Win 42-0 or lose 42-0, I couldn't care less.

Well, so often we've seen Bengal teams not prepared to start the season and they need reps, but I agree, I don't want to see much of the starters. What's Whit's issue? Is he on schedule or was his surgery botched somehow? I'm sure they won't tell us. I have no problem playing Collins for a few games if that's what Whit needs but if it's something more then that's a problem

Whit told Reedy that he is "in the middle of a process" and Hobs says there is no timetable for his return. So to this point it sounds like the only answer to the question of when we will see him is, who knows?

Nothing to be done for it, really. I'm just grateful for our depth.

Here's hoping Collins stays healthy...

This thing with Whit was discussed quite a while back in regards to the team needing to address the LT spot sooner rather than later.

I think about how quickly steps are lost and then when you add injury to that, it can get ugly real fast.

I would expect LT to be a fairly early round pick (1 or 2) in the next draft. Then again, I wanted another OT capable of stepping up in THIS draft.

TJ always has something to say about drafting, what was that again ?? Hmmmmmm, just can't seem to remember. He's only mentioned it once or twice.

On the positive side of the injury report, Hawkins is out of his cast. Still looks like he'll end up on IR - recall, but its a good sign of progress.

His big challenge now IMHO is finding a roster spot when he's ready to return. Between Gio, Eifert, Sanu, Jones and of course Green I'm not sure where he fits any more.

On the positive side of the injury report, Hawkins is out of his cast. Still looks like he'll end up on IR - recall, but its a good sign of progress.

His big challenge now IMHO is finding a roster spot when he's ready to return. Between Gio, Eifert, Sanu, Jones and of course Green I'm not sure where he fits any more.

I can't see them offing Hawk. with this offensive line, you need a player who can get open quickly.

I do, however, foresee that the Bengals will not go with 7 WRs, as they did last year. In fact, with Eifert, Gio, and possibly Charles as a FB/4th TE, it's arguable that we'll see only 5 WRs on roster. That might allow them to keep all of the RB/special teams triumvirate (Herron, Burkhead, Peerman).

I'm going to say that I have been surprised with what we've seen from "Taint" to this point.

He's been effective when in as a WR and as a returner.

I didn't see that coming and the coaches love him, so for how much I wanted him gone, I never thought he was going anywhere.

Glad i've been surprised to this point...

I can't see them offing Hawk. with this offensive line, you need a player who can get open quickly.

I do, however, foresee that the Bengals will not go with 7 WRs, as they did last year. In fact, with Eifert, Gio, and possibly Charles as a FB/4th TE, it's arguable that we'll see only 5 WRs on roster. That might allow them to keep all of the RB/special teams triumvirate (Herron, Burkhead, Peerman).

I could see charles being 3rd TE/FB with them keeping connors,Gresh & eifert have been very good blockers and the need to carry a pure blocking TE is gone.

More so since charles is a good blocker himself.

I could see charles being 3rd TE/FB with them keeping connors,Gresh & eifert have been very good blockers and the need to carry a pure blocking TE is gone.

More so since charles is a good blocker himself.

That's my thinking as well. Let's hope the Bengals' brass agrees

Whit told Reedy that he is "in the middle of a process" and Hobs says there is no timetable for his return. So to this point it sounds like the only answer to the question of when we will see him is, who knows?

Nothing to be done for it, really. I'm just grateful for our depth.

Here's hoping Collins stays healthy...

Yes thank you! Not much has been said about Collins play, and I think it's been pretty good. I thought he did great against Ware the other night. Here's hoping Whit is healthy, but I like what I see from Collins.

I spoke in great length about Collins during the offseason when the talk was about Big Dre not coming back.

I mentioned how the coaches think highly of him and he would be an adequate replacement.

To see him do well at LT as well has been a nice thing to see.

Is he the next Joe Thomas ?? No, but he's solid and hold things down until Whit gets back.

Who knows, maybe some time starting will help him progress more. He'll be 28 this November.

Give me the Bengals in that one.

I say we kick the crap out of the Bears.

It's an interesting game. Will have to see if our d-line can exploit their weak o-line.

And, also if our offense can take care of the ball. I think we're good enough to move the chains against them, but they are a very opportunistic defense that knows how to capitalize on mistakes.

I think catching them early in the season is a real plus for us.

If that o-line improves sooner rather than later, the Bears will do some damage.

I just don't think they will be able to keep our d-line out of Cutler's face.

Cutler is always good for 1-2 INT's when pressured heavily in a game.

In regards to the Colts game this Thursday, I can't say as i'm much interested.

I will watch of course, but not that worried. Like I said, I think the coaches already know.

Thoughts on Indy: don't get hurt.

Thoughts on Chicago: both defenses look very strong, so it might be a game decided by which offense makes fewer mistakes. The Bears are a good team in their home opener, so I would be surprised by anything better than a close win.

Hobson dropped a tiny but IMO telling nugget on Whitworth's knee in his new oline piece:

With Whitworth rarely practicing since his February knee surgery to ease the pain of scar tissue, Hawkinson has been watching six-year veteran backup left tackle Anthony Collins.

So we have confirmation that there is continuing discomfort, which suggests that the issue will be how much pain he can play with. Not unusual for a veteran player, but it seems to me it's likely we can expect it to be an ongoing issue.

Both tackles out, but yet Dalton is still playing. I hate that I remember last year he almost got hurt, so I'm hating that they are playing tonight.

Dunlap not playing again, he sure knows how to get out of preseason games. He is practicing though.

I'm excited to watch the young guys play tonight for spots on the team. I'm really hoping we don't see the first string guys much at all.