Bengals @ Cowboys Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Looks like the pokes are pretty beat up

/>http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/rb-lance-dunbar-among-17-dallas-cowboys-players-not-seen-at-monday-morning-practice.html/

17 guys not at Monday morning proactive, including our old pal Nate Livings.

So far the Dallas defense is doing well but the offense stinks. Particularly the run, so if we can't bottle them up it would be an issue.

/>http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/five-thoughts-dallas-cowboys-defense-impresses-in-third-preseason-game-offense-never-gets-on-track.html/

This (the 3rd preseason game)is usually the best of the preseason schedule. Who knows this year. I think teams are wary of all the injuries. It'll be interesting if teams truly do the traditional thing and play starters into the first series of the 3rd qtr. Teams like our Bengals that are pretty well set may very well not. It'll be interesting to see. Our O-line still needs more reps. They're not ready to start the season

Be interesting to see the playing time for Whit and AJ in both Games 3 and 4. This preseason seems to be very precautionary. The continuity of the players allows the coaches to be cautious, as they know how things are rolling.

I also harken back to Marvin's comment about how he could "cut the roster down to 60 now", even before a preseason game was played. I think the battles, in the coaches minds, are down to a few players. And injuries, IR, PS eligibility, and the like are their focus on setting the roster as always.

Also, back-end roster/special teams is an important aspect here. This gets down to players like Miles, Vinnie Rey, the young LBs, etc. That leads to an interesting question: Do you sacrifice proven ST play (Vinnie Rey) for overall roster potential (young linebackers)or Miles for an extra spot somewhere else (WR/LB).

This cut-down will be very interesting, and getting the psychological aspects/coaches thoughts of it on Hard Knocks will be intriguing.

They turn right around and play their 4th game of the preseason 5 days later, so if the starters do play a quarter or half (like they usually do in gmae 3) I don't expect much more than that and absolutely nothing in game 4. No reason to risk it at that point in time. Figure out the back end of the roster, if they haven't mostly done that, and move on without an injury.

I expect the Bengals to win this game as well.

Not that i'm horribly concerned, but just what I see happening.

I don't care if we are the champs or losers of the preseason.

I think this will be a pretty good game. I'd like to make Romo look bad! Position battles will heat up and if I’m not mistaken, first cuts come after this one. We have 14 WR’s and 6 RB’s on the roster right now. We also have 5 TE’s and three FB’s.

Here is how I see the off roster ending up.

QB – Dalton, Johnson

RB – Ellis, Bernard, Peerman, Herron(for ST)

FB – Conner, Charles

WR – Green, Jones, Sanu, Tate, Whalen, Sanzenbacheler (I hope he makes the team)

RT – Smith, Roland

RG – Zeitler

C- Cook, Robinson

LG- Boling, Pollak

LT – Whitworth, Collins

TE – Gresham, Eifert, not sure who else on this one.

That’s 25 slots…. Def and ST get the rest or maybe I picked to many guys to make the off team!!

They turn right around and play their 4th game of the preseason 5 days later, so if the starters do play a quarter or half (like they usually do in gmae 3) I don't expect much more than that and absolutely nothing in game 4. No reason to risk it at that point in time. Figure out the back end of the roster, if they haven't mostly done that, and move on without an injury.

I expect the Bengals to win this game as well.

Not that i'm horribly concerned, but just what I see happening.

I don't care if we are the champs or losers of the preseason.

I've been pleased with what I've seen this year but I will say that in past years the Bengals have erred in not playing their starters enough in pre season games. This is evidenced by how they don't seem prepared on Opening Day. I'd wonder why is it always my Bengals who look like it's still preseason as we get our butts kicked in game 1.

I think this will be a pretty good game. I'd like to make Romo look bad! Position battles will heat up and if I’m not mistaken, first cuts come after this one. We have 14 WR’s and 6 RB’s on the roster right now. We also have 5 TE’s and three FB’s.

QB – Dalton, Johnson

FB – Conner, Charles

WR – Green, Jones, Sanu, Tate, Whalen, Sanzenbacheler (I hope he makes the team)

RT – Smith, Roland

RG – Zeitler

C- Cook, Robinson

LG- Boling, Pollak

LT – Whitworth, Collins

That’s 25 slots…. Def and ST get the rest or maybe I picked to many guys to make the off team!!

I'm not a Herron or Whalen fan. If it were me, I'd go with Burkhead and Hamilton instead. I'd also keep Orson Charles as the 3rd TE/backup FB.

What do you think about kickers? Quinn Sharp has looked flawless in everything they've asked him to do. It'd sure be nice to have a guy who translates into automatic touchbacks on KOs and could easily clear the uprights on FGs over 50 yds but do we take the risk of inserting a rookie at such a key spot on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations? I'd seriously consider it

Jerra should look to Mike for guidance is righting the ship down there in Big D. They're suffering from the same heavy owner influence we did for so long. Jerra needs to let go a little. Or a lot. I don't know.

That would require Jerra to hire 15 of his relatives to feel comfortable enough to make that happen.

Here's today's practice report from Hobs:

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said this was going to be the week he got a lot of his injured players back and that was certainly the case on the defensive line as the club warmed up for practice Thursday afternoon at Springboro High School on the outskirts of Dayton, Ohio.

But he gave quarterback Andy Dalton the day off as Josh Johnson worked with the first group. Dalton, who had his ankle taped on the outside in Saturday night's game after he became entangled with left tackle Anthony Collins, was suited up and did throw routes against air. On Saturday he returned after he got taped and threw a two-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mohamed Sanu.

Left end Carlos Dunlap (concussion) and tackle Brandon Thompson (knee), shelved since the early days of training camp, were in the uniform of the day with helmets and shorts. As was right end Michael Johnson, who hadn't worked in the 11 days since the opener. Robert Geathers, the backup left end, appeared to be getting a veteran's day off.

Linebacker Vincent Rey (knee) also came back after missing the first two games. Also back was linebacker Emmanuel Lamur (hamstring) after missing Saturday night. Guard Otis Hudson, who sprained his ankle almost upon arrival last week, was back on the field.

Rookie offensive lineman Tannner Hawkinson (ankle) was doing vigorous movement drills in the end zone during the first half of practice.

I have to agree with you on kicker Quinn Sharp; it is nice to see kick offs put deep in the end zone.

QB – Dalton, Johnson

FB – Conner, Charles

RT – Smith, Roland

RG – Zeitler

C- Cook, Robinson

LG- Boling, Pollak

LT – Whitworth, Collins

I'm not a Herron or Whalen fan. If it were me, I'd go with Burkhead and Hamilton instead. I'd also keep Orson Charles as the 3rd TE/backup FB.

What do you think about kickers? Quinn Sharp has looked flawless in everything they've asked him to do. It'd sure be nice to have a guy who translates into automatic touchbacks on KOs and could easily clear the uprights on FGs over 50 yds but do we take the risk of inserting a rookie at such a key spot on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations? I'd seriously consider it

Here's today's practice report from Hobs:

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said this was going to be the week he got a lot of his injured players back and that was certainly the case on the defensive line as the club warmed up for practice Thursday afternoon at Springboro High School on the outskirts of Dayton, Ohio.

But he gave quarterback Andy Dalton the day off as Josh Johnson worked with the first group. Dalton, who had his ankle taped on the outside in Saturday night's game after he became entangled with left tackle Anthony Collins, was suited up and did throw routes against air. On Saturday he returned after he got taped and threw a two-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mohamed Sanu.

Left end Carlos Dunlap (concussion) and tackle Brandon Thompson (knee), shelved since the early days of training camp, were in the uniform of the day with helmets and shorts. As was right end Michael Johnson, who hadn't worked in the 11 days since the opener. Robert Geathers, the backup left end, appeared to be getting a veteran's day off.

Linebacker Vincent Rey (knee) also came back after missing the first two games. Also back was linebacker Emmanuel Lamur (hamstring) after missing Saturday night. Guard Otis Hudson, who sprained his ankle almost upon arrival last week, was back on the field.

Rookie offensive lineman Tannner Hawkinson (ankle) was doing vigorous movement drills in the end zone during the first half of practice.

Wow, with how well the team has played for the most part, it's hard to believe they have been without the services of some of those listed above.

Whit, AJ, Dunlap, MJ, and even guys like Thompson and Rey. This team really has a lot of depth.

Otis Hudson is still on the team ?? I thought he got cut. I'm far more interested in what Hawkinson could do.

defensive questions that still stand out:

1. any chance that Brandon Thompson can replace Pat Sims? this defense played well only when Sims was around. Thompson's not off to a fast start....

2. along the same line of thought: wha's the over/under line for the phone call to Chris Crocker? week 6?

3. any chance that Bengals can stash Dontay Moch someplace for a year? I don't see how... yet Michael Johnson seems on his way out, and Margus Hunt looks to be 2-3 years away

4. when the criticisms return, will Maualuga man up this year, or crawl back into that shell again?

5. speaking of which-- is Thomas Howard on speed dial?

6. if Porter is gone, only one linebacker (Lamur)is a coverage guy. Again-- is Thomas Howard on speed dial?

7. given age, and recent injury history, and suspension possibilities... at some point, the 6th CB will be 3rd CB, at least. How's everyone feel about starting Shaun Prater or Chris Lewis-Harris?

defensive questions that still stand out:

1. any chance that Brandon Thompson can replace Pat Sims? this defense played well only when Sims was around. Thompson's not off to a fast start....

Not worried about Thompson. He got dinged, but he is here to replace Fat Pat. I think he will do well when healthy.

Fat Pat had the same issues and is currently in the same situation in Oakland.

2. along the same line of thought: wha's the over/under line for the phone call to Chris Crocker? week 6?

Yeah, I can't say as i'm real impressed with anything i've seen from any of the SS on the roster.

However, they don't have to be awesome, only capable of replacing what Crocker gave them last year.

3. any chance that Bengals can stash Dontay Moch someplace for a year? I don't see how... yet Michael Johnson seems on his way out, and Margus Hunt looks to be 2-3 years away

Yep, enjoy MJ while we can, I don't see him back. Hunt is raw for sure. Moch ?? He has the speed and is back at his natural spot at DE.

Who knows how things will turn out for him, but there are two more preseason games for him to make an impact.

4. when the criticisms return, will Maualuga man up this year, or crawl back into that shell again?

In fairness, Maualuga took the blame for his play and knows he needs to improve.

Listen to Zimmer and he says the fans simply don't understand how good Rey is and he took the blame when it really wasn't on him.

5. speaking of which-- is Thomas Howard on speed dial?

Thinking his days are behind him and we have youngsters that are intriguing.

6. if Porter is gone, only one linebacker (Lamur)is a coverage guy. Again-- is Thomas Howard on speed dial?

Porter isn't going anywhere.

7. given age, and recent injury history, and suspension possibilities... at some point, the 6th CB will be 3rd CB, at least. How's everyone feel about starting Shaun Prater or Chris Lewis-Harris?

I'll worry about CB issues when they come up. If and when issues arise, it can be looked at.

I can't say as I have bene impressed with Prater or Lewis-Harris, but whatever.

What team is loaded with all 6 CB's being starter material.

My notes within the post.

Apparently practice got cancelled after about half an hour due to lightning but here's Hobs' injury report:

When they took the field, left end Carlos Dunlap was in the required shoulder pads and helmet, suggesting he may be on track for Saturday's third preseason game (8 p.m.-Cincinnat's Channel 12) in Dallas as he recovers from a concussion. But for the second straight day of this practice week, defensive veterans James Harrison, Robert Geathers, Adam Jones and Brandon Ghee didn't work with unknown but seemingly minor injuries that may keep them out Saturday but not out of the Sept. 8 opener in Chicago. Left tackle Andrew Whitworth (knee) also sat out practice, his first miss since coming back last week.

I hate to sound like a broken record (I know, I know, what's a "record," GeezerCat?) but Whitworth's knee keeps showing up in the wrong context.