Favorite and Least Favorite Bengals' Drafts

Wraith

To piggy back on the previous draft history topic, weigh in on your favorite Bengals drafts and the one that made you want to storm the Bengals Front Office and inforce marshall law.

For me my favorite ever (and I have been an avid follower of the NFL since 1990) was last year 2012. Every pick was a favorite player, I loved that they traded down. I had Zeitler and Kirkpatrick as first rounders and Sanu, Still, Thompson, Charles, and iLoka all as second rounders, and Marvin Jones as a high 3rd rounder (and I have the complete Wraith draft value chart to prove it if you want to send me a PM). To get that level of talent at so many need positions I was on Cloud Nine that entire weekend now let's hope these players are actually as good as I thought they were.

Least Favorite and the Draft that nearly got me banned from 1360 (now 1530) for life was 1999. I had stayed up all night detailing a complicated scenario where the Bengals would take the Saints draft package and then bundle many of those 1999 picks (keeping the 2000 and 2001 1st round selections) to get back up to 7 to select Champ Bailey. I got the the draft party early and showed my plan to Lance McAlister who told me this is way too complicated for the Bengals and refused to let me talk about it on the air. Not only did the Bengals not take the ridiculous Saints offer but with the 3rd pick we selected the third QB in the draft a 1 year starter! And worse than that, two picks later the Redskins took the Saints package and then did EXACLY what I drew up for the Bengals! I was so mad I was stuttering Tom Gamble came to me and offered to let me on the air if I promised not to cuss, it went well for about 20 seconds and then a string of cuss words came out, I simply couldn't control myself.

I don't think there's a Bengals fan alive that doesn't consider turning down the Saints deal just about the stupidest move Mike Brown ever made. But that said, the 2000 draft was a real WTF draft for me. They start off by taking Peter Warrick, a guy who every single analyst alive said wouldn't translate well to the NFL. With the fourth overall pick no less. Then on Warrick's advice they take his buddy Ron Dugans in the third - THIRD !!! - round. I think there might have been a couple teams who had a seventh round grade on him. Then Curtis Keaton. Then gawd help us Robert Bean. Literally the best pick of the draft was the last one, long snapper Brad St. Louis.

2004 was pretty ugly too. Caleb Miller. Ugh.

I was a big fan of the 2003 draft in 2003. Shows what I know.

I don't think there's a Bengals fan alive that doesn't consider turning down the Saints deal just about the stupidest move Mike Brown ever made. But that said, the 2000 draft was a real WTF draft for me. They start off by taking Peter Warrick, a guy who every single analyst alive said wouldn't translate well to the NFL. With the fourth overall pick no less. Then on Warrick's advice they take his buddy Ron Dugans in the third - THIRD !!! - round. I think there might have been a couple teams who had a seventh round grade on him. Then Curtis Keaton. Then gawd help us Robert Bean. Literally the best pick of the draft was the last one, long snapper Brad St. Louis.

2004 was pretty ugly too. Caleb Miller. Ugh.

I was a big fan of the 2003 draft in 2003. Shows what I know.

yes, 2000 was the lowest point. Worst draft I think they've ever had. Holy f**k that was awful. Almost surreal looking at it now.

Couldn't almost all the 90's fall into the "worst" category ??

Yup. The Bengals fan base didn't become the dysfunctional mess we know today by accident...

Re the 2000 draft, it should be noted that while the Bengals' choices were unarguably, astoundingly bad, it was a craptastic draft in general. The Clowns, picking first overall, had 13 selections and came away with 13 pounds of garbage, headlined by megabust DE Courtney Brown (who would be followed in 2001 by megabust DT Gerard Warren). They then proceeded to take world-beaters Dennis Northcutt and Travis Prentice in rounds 2 and 3.

The Eagles, picking just after us at 6, chose soon-to-be-NFL-washout DT Corey Simon in the first and WR Todd "Stinkston" Pinkston in the second. The Steelers started with Plaxico, then took Marvel Smith and Kendrick Clancy and finally finished up the fourth round by drafting Danny Farmer, who would land in Cincy after not even making the roster in Pitt in September.

Even the almighty Ozzie Newsome couldn't make much out of that draft. Cokehead Jamal Lewis did turn out to be a pretty good pick and they plucked Adalius Thomas out of the 6th round, but beyond that? Second round WR Travis Taylor didn't merit a second contract. Third round QB Chris Redman didn't pan out.

The list of teams goes on. The Bengals could have done way better but it was a bad year overall.