OTAs

HoosierCat

Started up today. Notes from Reedy:

Andre Smith not at first OTA workout. Lewis said he "has to deal with some stuff he has to take care of". Not conditioning though

Leon Hall (thumb) doing some individual work but did not take part in first 11 on 11 drill.

I'm a Debbie downer but Hobson notes in his second paragraph how Green only had to come back a little on their go route connection.

That's not what I really want to hear. dalton under throwing Green....

Meanwhile, Gio looks slick as snot in their fluff drills. Real fast.

I'm a Debbie downer but Hobson notes in his second paragraph how Green only had to come back a little on their go route connection.

That's not what I really want to hear. dalton under throwing Green....

Yet, when you read this article, things seem pretty cheery on that front. Don't get too worked up over OTAs. Just sit back and enjoy the fact that we have some football "news" to read up on. cheers.gif

Meanwhile, Gio looks slick as snot in their fluff drills. Real fast.

Agreed. Looked real slick. I also noticed Dane Sanzenbacher flash some nifty quickness and moves in one of the highlight videos posted on the .com.

Reedy seems to think that Andy did just fine. More at the link about Zampese and Dalton working on the deep ball in the off season.

On the first day of the Bengals' OTA practices on Tuesday, Andy Dalton didn’t hesitate in airing it out.

During the first part of practice, Dalton connected with A.J. Green, who was being covered by Terence Newman. Later in the session, he went deep a couple times for Marvin Jones, connecting once when the second-year receiver beat Taylor Mays and Adam “Pacman” Jones in coverage.

Said Dalton of that first pass to Green: “Urb (receivers coach James Urban) came up to me and said you already know what the route is, so I knew it was going to be a go ball. Had to set the tone for how it’s going to be.”

The pass to Jones though might have been the nicest of the day. Jones was able to get a couple steps on the defensive backs and Dalton was able to lay it in there.

At the risk of repeating myself, don't sleep on Marvin Jones this year.

Interesting note at the end of the article:

When asked though if he felt like his squad was a little further ahead compared to this time last year, Lewis did not go that far.

I don’t know what ahead means because you are always moving forward,” he said. “When you are pushing the concepts of what we are doing and revisions so there is no ahead or behind.”

Dalton though might have answered that question when he said there was a lot of installation with the offense on the first day compared to this time last year and due to being on the field for two hours, they didn’t get through everything.

Sounds like Jay is churning the playbook, which is good news.

Reedy seems to think that Andy did just fine. More at the link about Zampese and Dalton working on the deep ball in the off season.

On the first day of the Bengals' OTA practices on Tuesday, Andy Dalton didn't hesitate in airing it out.

During the first part of practice, Dalton connected with A.J. Green, who was being covered by Terence Newman. Later in the session, he went deep a couple times for Marvin Jones, connecting once when the second-year receiver beat Taylor Mays and Adam "Pacman" Jones in coverage.

Said Dalton of that first pass to Green: "Urb (receivers coach James Urban) came up to me and said you already know what the route is, so I knew it was going to be a go ball. Had to set the tone for how it's going to be."

The pass to Jones though might have been the nicest of the day. Jones was able to get a couple steps on the defensive backs and Dalton was able to lay it in there.

At the risk of repeating myself, don't sleep on Marvin Jones this year.

Interesting note at the end of the article:

When asked though if he felt like his squad was a little further ahead compared to this time last year, Lewis did not go that far.

I don't know what ahead means because you are always moving forward," he said. "When you are pushing the concepts of what we are doing and revisions so there is no ahead or behind."

Dalton though might have answered that question when he said there was a lot of installation with the offense on the first day compared to this time last year and due to being on the field for two hours, they didn't get through everything.

Sounds like Jay is churning the playbook, which is good news.

Way to post the article that I already posted, Hoosier. Man, get with it. tongue.gif

Oh, never mind, all posts have now been trumped by The Ultimate Horror that can be seen here:

/>https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/337259946213253121/photo/1

Wow.

He's a human empanada.

I gotta wonder of those shorts are custom tailored?

And the OTAs roll on. Some highlights:

- Still no Moobs in sight.

- Most of the defensive backfield is down. Five voluntary practices in and Pacman is already hurt (calf). :frustrated: Hall (thumb) and Kirkpatrick (knee) also out. Nelson out with unidentified "ailment."

- Boling rehabbing an ankle. Atkins out sick.

- Charles getting more snaps at FB.

- Sounds like Harrison will be an inside rusher. Says he will cover less than in Pitt, which fits with the idea of Lamur and Burfict being the two LBs in the nickel.

- Eifert still making plays.

A side note to OTA's:

I got to meet all the Bengals rookies today when they came to visit at work.

It wasn't as cool as last year where we could take pics standing next to them, but we got autographs and had a chance to say hey.

Margus Hunt is freaking huge. 6'8 is much bigger in person. Oddly, he had the smallest little legs for a big guy I've ever seen.

Shawn Williams literally looks like a Pit Bull and comes across as someone not to mess with.

Bernard is small, but all rocked up. The rest of the guys were all cool as could be.

One of the nicest and personable ?? Jordan Campbell. I hope good things for him.

Cool, Army.

Just to update, reports now make it sound like Jones is done until training camp (at least). Hopefully this is just a bump in the road but its also why I was fretting over CB. We have a pretty solid group on paper but there are a lot of age and injury question marks.

We've talked about it before and here we are again with what happens with the CB's on this team.

Things could be above average and things could get really ugly.

Even if Kirkpatrick lives up to his 1st round selection, another early round CB next year wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Per Hobs, the Bengals may try dumping the FB again and going with four RBs and four TEs.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-mull-their-richest-TE-group-/4106ecb3-ab44-44d6-b025-73670ef1e8dc

It apparently hinges on Charles being able to handle the fullback role. If he can they would keep him, Eifert, Gresham and either Smith or Quinn. Sounds good in theory, FB has been a dying position for years, but last time they tried it with Coats it didn't work well.

Not sure who the four RBs would be. BJGE and Gio, I'm sure. Peerman for teams probably. Then I guess Scott? Herron should still have a year of PS availability left.

Per Hobs, the Bengals may try dumping the FB again and going with four RBs and four TEs.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-mull-their-richest-TE-group-/4106ecb3-ab44-44d6-b025-73670ef1e8dc

It apparently hinges on Charles being able to handle the fullback role. If he can they would keep him, Eifert, Gresham and either Smith or Quinn. Sounds good in theory, FB has been a dying position for years, but last time they tried it with Coats it didn't work well.

Not sure who the four RBs would be. BJGE and Gio, I'm sure. Peerman for teams probably. Then I guess Scott? Herron should still have a year of PS availability left.

I think they keep 4 RB's. My guess is Scott is let go, as Gio plays that role. Also, I bet Rex makes it, as he fill the Leonard role well. To be honest, BJGE could end up dumped... depends on how Rex can play teams, and if they value a good FB over a very average RB.