The draft in the AFC North

Stripes

Someone provided links to rival fans' takes on the Bengals taking Eifert (I think cincyhokie). That inspires this thread. How do you think the other a**h***s in the division are doing to this point and going forward into the latter half of the draft as compared to the Bengals?

Browns:

R1, P6: Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU - 6'4", 241 lbs

R3, P68: Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St. - 5'10", 193

Steelers:

R1, P17: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia - 6'2", 245

R2, P48: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Mich. State - 6'1", 230

R3, P79: Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State - 5'11", 189

Ravens:

R1, P32: Matt Elam, FS, Florida - 5'10", 208

R2, P56: Arthur Brown, ILB, KSU - 6'0", 241

R3, P94: Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State - 6'1", 335

Bengals:

R1, P21: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - 6'6", 251

R2, P37: Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC - 5'8", 202

R2, P53: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU - 6'8", 277

R3. P84 - Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia - 6'0", 213

So far I think the Browns have raised a few eyebrows, not atypically. Mingo might be a good player, but they took him higher than most expected. I don't like it when really bad teams like Cleveland draft for need, because their needs are too numerous to not simply take the best player they can. If Mingo was genuinely their highest rated then fair enough. On the flip side, with Mingo paired with Jabaal Sheard on the other side they might be building a decent young pass rush from their 3-4 outside linebackers. I love that they only had two picks in the first three rounds -- that's the sort of crap they can't have as they try to rebuild (again).

The Steelers made good value picks in the 1st and 3rd rounds, and both should be nice fits for them. I'm not thrilled with their acquisition of Jarvis Jones from a Bengals' perspective, because he really ought to give them exactly what they typically ask for from their OLBs. The dropoff from an aged James Harrison to Jones might not be that steep, if he sees the field consistently as a rookie. Bell is definitely built like a Steelers running back, but he doesn't scare me at all and I have a feeling he'll be quite like what they had already. I am glad they ignored their brutal offensive line.

The Ravens seem to be killing it. I don't much like Elam as a prospect, but my opinion is less meaningful than that of an NFL front office and the Ravens certainly do well to develop defensive talent. At #32 he represents decent value. I hate that they snagged Arthur Brown and am now hoping against all of my preconceptions of the prospect that he ends up a complete bust. Williams is the standard sort of moster NT that Baltimore usually fields and should provide serviceable depth.

Cincinnati and Baltimore are doing the best job to this point I think, as has been the consistent trend in recent drafts (as they've appeared in the players' first season or two).

Looks on point to me, Stripes. Unfortunately, the draft fell perfect for Baltimore to try and re-build their decimated defense. Still going to take a few years for the new guys to really grow into pros, but its a nice start for that franchise toward replacing borderline irreplaceable players.

I love having Cleveland in this division. They are now what we were in the 90s. What a comfort.

Was surprised at Steelers selection of that RB in the 2nd round.

Would rank draft at this point in the division as:

Bengals/Ravens

Steelers

Browns

Clark Judge this morning sportsline.com under his "winners" section:

Cincinnati. Once upon a time, the Bengals were one of the NFL's most overworked punchlines. Not anymore. They're quietly assembling another outstanding cast of draft picks, adding tight end Tyler Eifert, running back Giovani Bernard and defensive end Margus Hunt with their first three picks. Nice.

Kiper lists Bengals as one of the day 2 winners:

Summary: If I went by my board, I would have preferred Eddie Lacy to Bernard at No. 37, but it's not a bad pick. Remember, Bernard was the first running back taken in the entire draft, so if he's the No. 1 player on Cincy's board and they get him that far down, it's a pretty good get. And what they really need at running back is a little more explosiveness and versatility. That's exactly what Bernard offers, particularly as a pass-catcher. Hunt is raw, but at No. 53 he's a pretty tremendous value. I know there were teams that thought he might come off the board in the late first or early second round. Williams is a productive player out of the SEC, and has the potential to fill a hole at the safety position for the Bengals. This team is hitting needs and getting value.

And that's after him extolling the Eifert pick day 1.

So far I think the Browns have raised a few eyebrows, not atypically. Mingo might be a good player, but they took him higher than most expected. I don't like it when really bad teams like Cleveland draft for need, because their needs are too numerous to not simply take the best player they can. If Mingo was genuinely their highest rated then fair enough. On the flip side, with Mingo paired with Jabaal Sheard on the other side they might be building a decent young pass rush from their 3-4 outside linebackers. I love that they only had two picks in the first three rounds -- that's the sort of crap they can't have as they try to rebuild (again).

Don't forget why they don't have a second. They took Josh Gordon in the supplemental last year. Some speculate he would have been the top receiver this year. So in reality they got their second and he has NFL experience now. Gordon impressed me last year.

So the Browns seem to be building in my eyes. They got Bess as well who is a solid lunchpail slot receiver.

Comically their leading scorer (Phil Dawson) is gone and he was replaced with...........Shayne Graham.

Honestly, I think all of the teams are having a solid draft.

This. As was said above, the draft fell perfectly for the Ravens. Between the draft and free agency, their D might actually have gotten better, though I think their offense took a hit.

The Steelers got good players at positions of need too, but it seemed to me there was a wiff of desperation around their draft. Maybe it was giving up a pick next year to the Clowns in order to jump up and get Shamarko. Then there was the late round QB. Whatever it was, they just seemed a little off, a little un-Pitt-like.

I think the Browns did better than they're getting credit for and they are going to surprise some teams this year.

I think it was a really solid draft for all of the teams in the division.

Baltimore filled some holes and I would give them the edge due to just how big those holes were and the talent they got to fill them. On paper, their defense just went from a huge question mark to sick with a quickness. Getting back a healthy Suggs, adding Dumerville, drafting Elam and Brown ?? Yeah, if it comes together for them, that defense will continue to be tough.

Bengals a close 2nd / Browns / Steelers

On a side note, I just want to take a moment to say THANK YOU to everyone here at the Zone for their cooperation through the few days of the draft. My fellow mods really helped me out since I had other things that pulled me away for a couple of rounds. All in all, another good time on the board and thanks again for everyone following along !!!

I am still researching but i don`t buy that pitt and balt are going to have down years. they drafted the typical high quality players they usually do and both did well in free agency. ray lewis and ed reed were really old. i`d love to see some kind of QB controversy in Pitt. i think the bengals and ravens tied with one another, with the steelers in third and browns in 4th as far as draft scores.

I am still researching but i don`t buy that pitt and balt are going to have down years.

Not down years by NFL standards, but just down years by their standards. Last year was a huge down year for Pitt, for example, and I don't see that they've done enough to expect anything different this season.

Baltimore will be alright, but they really handcuffed themselves with the Flacco deal. They've brought in some good young talent, but it's going to take a couple of seasons before their defense becomes a real force like it used to be. Even last year, their D was beatable. It's going to be all about their offense, so we'll see if Flacco can prove himself once again.

Cleveland will give everyone some tough games due to their D. It was already decent and they've really focused on strengthening that even further throughout the offseason. Hopefully Cinci's offense will be equally improved so that it really doesn't matter.

In looking at it a little further, i'm going to bump the Bengals ahead of the Ravens.

Why ?? Because while I like that they added Elam and Brown, I like Eifert's chances at 6'6 running down the field.

That and the added weapon of Gio out of the backfield will keep them guessing.

Without looking, who are the Ravens going to have on the field for Flacco to throw to aside from Torrey Smith?

They lost their best WR who basically was their MVP in the playoffs. Then did very little in the draft to address the receiver position.

If the Bengals, or any other team, does not address a gaping hole, they get HAMMERED in the post media analysis.

Without looking, who are the Ravens going to have on the field for Flacco to throw to aside from Torrey Smith?

They lost their best WR who basically was their MVP in the playoffs. Then did very little in the draft to address the receiver position.

If the Bengals, or any other team, does not address a gaping hole, they get HAMMERED in the post media analysis.

I've seen this mentioned several times in the media, but mostly in passing. I just think that the departure of Reed and Lewis has caught people's attention and so restocking on defense is seen as their top priority.

I agree, though...Bolding was Flacco's safety blanket, so I'm not sure how they plan to cover that hole.

Here's hoping they don't. thumbsup3.gif

i`d love to see some kind of QB controversy in Pitt.

Ask and ye shall receive...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/batch-thinks-steelers-might-groom-jones-to-replace-roethlisberger/

That brought a bit joy to my black little heart.

I've seen this mentioned several times in the media, but mostly in passing. I just think that the departure of Reed and Lewis has caught people's attention and so restocking on defense is seen as their top priority.

I agree, though...Bolding was Flacco's safety blanket, so I'm not sure how they plan to cover that hole.

Here's hoping they don't. thumbsup3.gif

I forgot about the fact the Ravens have no left tackle. They drafted a 5th rounder. That and have no number 2 receiver unless you count the 7th rounder from Elon.

So basically, the super bowl champs have/had a ton of holes.