Safety? We Don't Need No Steenking Safety!

So I pop by da site this morning to find Hobson taking a massive dump on the idea of drafting Kenny Vaccaro in the first round. Shorter "Royal We" Hobson: Bengals don't take worthless positions like safety that high. (I guess he never heard of Ed Reed or Troy Polomalu...) I wouldn't have bothered to mention it except that a little while later I ran across this gem from Reedy in which Zimmer talks about how the future at safety is...Taylor Mays.

:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Oh well. I guess this is good news for Chris Crocker...

So I pop by da site this morning to find Hobson taking a massive dump on the idea of drafting Kenny Vaccaro in the first round. Shorter "Royal We" Hobson: Bengals don't take worthless positions like safety that high. (I guess he never heard of Ed Reed or Troy Polomalu...) I wouldn't have bothered to mention it except that a little while later I ran across this gem from Reedy in which Zimmer talks about how the future at safety is...Taylor Mays.

dash.gifdash.gifdash.gif

Ummmm, overstating much? Zimmer basically said, in a nice way, that Mays has a lot of things to work on. Hardly a "we're basing the future of the position on this guy" type of a statement.

That said, it IS true that safeties aren't usually highly-prized in the first round. There are exceptions, but CBs will almost always go off the board first.

Zim (in his combine interview with the NFL Network) did say that they evaluated passrushers and corners higher than Safeties.

Again however all of this is moot for round one, We took a defensive player with our first pick last year we will take an offensive player with our first pick this year, it is only fair.....I am not really kidding about this take a look at the Bengals draft history. The Bengals are 16 defense vs. 15 offense in the first round since 1981, so this year it is very likely to be a first round offensive player unless some defensive player knocks their socks off which is unlikely given the composition of this draft.

Again however all of this is moot for round one, We took a defensive player with our first pick last year we will take an offensive player with our first pick this year, it is only fair.....I am not really kidding about this take a look at the Bengals draft history.

Oh, I know. Frankly I can already feel the OT coming down the pike. Even if they don't lose Moobs (and I think it's 50/50 at best he comes back if they don't get a deal done before FA, which shows no sign of happening right now) Whitworth is clearly starting to flag. And I'm not buying the talk about Collins. He has looked OK when he's gotten out there but they always seem in a hurry not to count on him. I have to wonder if him being involved the the whole Jerome Simpson affair was a clue why.

But safety is a perennial weak spot and the junkheap approach is getting old. Every once in a while they find a decent player, like Reggie, but mostly we get treated to the likes of JoJuan Armour, Ifeanyi Ohalete and Taylor freakin' Mays. Meanwhile, the two teams in the division that have all the rings have amply demonstrated that safety is a premium position in the AFCN. Yet our DC spends his time apologizing for Mays poor play and saying he'll get him more time. I guess you make do with what you got but isn't it time to change the recipe a bit?

I'm not impressed with the safeties that are ranked as picks in rounds 1 and 2

I'd like to see them take a corner - preferably but not necessarily from a primarily zone defense - instead with a ton of speed, decent size, and solid tackling skills and make him a safety

Possibly Xavier Rhodes

I am generally not a fan of converting a player to a new position, but CB to S doesn't seem like as huge a transition as the more common DE to LB or LB to DE

In a somewhat related note, I think Barrett Jones will available at our 2b pick due to his Lis Franc injury

I go back and forth between Elam and Vaccaro, but wouldn't complain about either in the first. I harbor pipe dreams that Elam lasts until our first second-round pick. Reid makes me nervous; he may be the Maualuga of safties. And drafting TJ Mcdonald would do far too much damage to Army's TV set to even contemplate.

Oh there are a few safeties i'd be thrilled with.

Vacarro and Elam would please me to no end.

My dream would be to have Rambo last until our pick in the 3rd.

OT you say even if Big Dre stays ??

Great, why not grab one to provide depth, all the while getting an upgrade to start at the Center spot and freeing up money ?? Yes, Barrett Jones please !!

I go back and forth between Elam and Vaccaro, but wouldn't complain about either in the first. I harbor pipe dreams that Elam lasts until our first second-round pick. Reid makes me nervous; he may be the Maualuga of safties. And drafting TJ Mcdonald would do far too much damage to Army's TV set to even contemplate.

I too am leary of Reid and would rather not take that chance.

TJ McDonald ?? Yeah, I really can't afford a new TV right now !!!

The high ranked safeties just dont seem to have much speed

Give me a 4.4 or better zone-system corner who is willing to move to safety instead.

I used to get chided here all the time about being obsessed with 40 times, but safeties will run 40 yards or more at times, and they need that closing speed bigtime.

Check out D.J. Swearinger if you are looking for a target in the late 2nd or 3rd. I agree btw, like Elam better than Vaccaro.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2klvZNqJg8

Looks solid to me.

I have a feeling vaccaro and Elam will be gone by bottom of r1.

Vaccarro has always plays the FS spot and while he may be able to make the transition to SS, it still isn't where he played the majority of his snaps while at Texas. Unless there is something I haven't seen and please feel free to enlighten me. Elam on the other hand played the SS spot during his time at Florida and has the speed to play the way I think Zimmer likes his safeties. He's a big hitter and an above average tackler.

It's not that I would complain about Vaccaro though. I bet he's gone by #21 though.

• 2 weeks later...

dash.gifdash.gifdash.gif

Ummmm, overstating much? Zimmer basically said, in a nice way, that Mays has a lot of things to work on. Hardly a "we're basing the future of the position on this guy" type of a statement.

That said, it IS true that safeties aren't usually highly-prized in the first round. There are exceptions, but CBs will almost always go off the board first.

I think the reason its lower is they like more vet savvy guys like Roy Williams Chris crocker or Rod Woodson..though zimmer did draft roy in the 1st

• 3 weeks later...

So, can anyone here talk about Jonathan Cyprien, the safety from Florida International ??

I mean, outside of what they have read on some dumbass website ??

I love what I have read, but was looking for something from someone that has actually seen the kid play.

I want to like him, but the small school background gives me some concern when it's such a need for us.

I've read and seen videos and people are now saying he could sneak into the bottom of the first.

Some even saying he's preferred to the likes of Vacarro and Elam.

I thought someone here mentioned that exact thing and was looking for some more information.

There are some nice write ups about the kid for sure.

The odd thing I hear when people ask about him is the same thing I see on his highlight videos.

They mention and show clips from 2 games and NO Western Kentucky doesn't impress me as real competition.

Wasn't there anything else outside of those two games worth mentioning ??

I'm still very leery.