Brandon Joiner

ArmyBengal

So here's another addition to the camp roster at DE/OLB.
/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/brandon-joiner-released-from-prison-can-rejoin-bengals/

Shortly after undrafted rookie linebacker Brandon Joiner signed with the Bengals in May, he was sentenced to three years in prison as a result of his involvement in a 2007 robbery when he was enrolled at Texas A&M.

At the time, Joiner’s attorney said that he thought his client would be out on parole in six to nine months if he behaved himself. That’s turned out to be the case as Joiner was paroled this week, leaving him free to resume his football career.

“I spent all that time in there just thinking, away from family, just the little time you get. Right now, being outside, it’s amazing. It’s not even cold to me really,” Joiner said, via the Killeen Daily Herald.

The Bengals said in May that they would be retaining his rights so it would stand to reason that he’ll be on their 90-man roster and take part in the team’s offseason program. Joiner was the 2011 Sun Belt defensive player of the year at Arkansas State, where he went after leaving Texas A&M in the wake of his arrest, and the Bengals obviously feel strong enough about his talent to stick with him through eight months in jail.

No harm, no foul in having this kid in camp.

I think people like to simply say it's another Bengals bonehead move, without giving thought to the fact the Bengals didn't use a draft pick on the kid. This isn't an Odell or Henry, 2nd and 3rd round picks. Burfict was the same way.

People also forget it's been 6 years now since he made the poor decision and hasn't had a single mistep since.

He served time for that crime and is given a 2nd chance. I'd like to see what he does with it.

If he screws up, he will be gone without a second thought and the Bengals have zero concerns about it.

While he didn't play in the SEC, it's not like he was a crappy player either.

He was the 2011 Sun Belt Conference defensive player of the year.

His 13 sacks in 2011 were best in the conference and 4th in the nation.

The Bengals project him at LB as well and it's not like there's not a need.

No harm, no foul in having this kid in camp.

I think people like to simply say it's another Bengals bonehead move, without giving thought to the fact the Bengals didn't use a draft pick on the kid. This isn't an Odell or Henry, 2nd and 3rd round picks. Burfict was the same way.

People also forget it's been 6 years now since he made the poor decision and hasn't had a single mistep since.

He served time for that crime and is given a 2nd chance. I'd like to see what he does with it.

If he screws up, he will be gone without a second thought and the Bengals have zero concerns about it.

While he didn't play in the SEC, it's not like he was a crappy player either.

He was the 2011 Sun Belt Conference defensive player of the year.

His 13 sacks in 2011 were best in the conference and 4th in the nation.

The Bengals project him at LB as well and it's not like there's not a need.

I think the analogy is more Frostee Rucker than Odell Thurman. Problems were well before he probably started looking at football as a real probable career or was even thinking about a career at all. I'm not saying he won't get in trouble again, but I wouldn't look at him as much more of a risk than just about anybody else who would be entering the NFL now. In fact, having seen the inside of a cell, he might be less of a risk. My biggest question is how much the time away from football will require additional time to get up to speed. If he takes too long - more than voluntaries and camp - he could be back on the street anyway. Hope he's conditioning right now.

He had 7 months in jail, hopefully thinking about his life and working out.

Getting up to football speed can be accomplished during OTA's and camp.

I'm not expecting Burfict type results, but you just never know.

Well, I know dudes in prison are always working out in the movies, but I think it can be different in real life. I still think the hurdle will be getting in shape to make the squad before cutdowns. This has the feel of a camp cut who ends up doing well on another squad. Hope it works out differently.

He had 7 months in jail, hopefully thinking about his life and working out.

Getting up to football speed can be accomplished during OTA's and camp.

I'm not expecting Burfict type results, but you just never know.

I still think the hurdle will be getting in shape to make the squad before cutdowns.

Have you seen our LB'ing corps ??

:lmao: