Gruden staying

walzav29

Thats what I'm reading on twitter. I'm not overly excited, but I'm not jumping out of a window. He said he'd like to get an explosive RB. Consistency is a good thing. The offense will improve. Next year is gonna be big. We'll have both coordinators back. At least 2 MNF appearances, expectations etc...... Let's see what happens.

Next year will be do-or-die it seems. It'll be this offense's 3rd year together and improvements will be expected. Should be "fun" to watch.

I mostly like what I read in the bengals.com piece on the offense. What stands out to me are statements talking about how a guy like Gresham has all the tools, but just needs to be coached up to be consistent. That's where I have my questions about this staff...they're competent, but I'm still not convinced they're able to get the most out of their players.

Here's hoping I'm wrong!

Really I thought he was only interviewing with the Cards tomorrow. I know he said he would be back, but I don't even think he interviewed yet.

I think what he's saying is that he has no plans to leave but is taking the interviews because he wants to be a head coach at some point, and if he keeps saying no they will quit asking. In other words, he'd leave if he got offered a job but doesn't expect that will happen.

Thats what I'm reading on twitter. I'm not overly excited, but I'm not jumping out of a window. He said he'd like to get an explosive RB. Consistency is a good thing. The offense will improve. Next year is gonna be big. We'll have both coordinators back. At least 2 MNF appearances, expectations etc...... Let's see what happens.

"He said he'd like to get an explosive RB."

Bingo. Time to get our Ray Rice.

I have good feelings about next season.

While I don't think he would be a good head coach this coming season and I don't like how things went for the offense this season, I don't really mind him being back and keeping some consistency. The "explosive RB", Sanu, and another year for some of the other youngsters will be huge.

I will concur with the "do or die" season for 2013.

Sounds like a camp motto and t-shirt waiting to happen.

Maybe a take from the New Hampshire lisence plates.

"2013 BENGALS: WIN GAMES OR DIE !!"

I'm weary of spending a first round pick on any RB when you have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds and it's a deep class.

I really don't think there is much separating the top 3-5 RB's in this draft.

Spending the 21st on one doesn't seem like the smart pick.

I won't complain as long as we get one though.

My only concern with the approach of "it's a deep class" is that teams try to out-think themselves. Look at the tape on a player. Look at the intangibles.

Ray Rice sure looked like a star running back coming out of college. He's short. He fell to the 2nd round.

Doug Martin looked like a star running back coming out of college. He's short. It was a "deep class". How deep does it look now? There's Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, some kid that the Redskins picked up in the 6th round, and that's it.

See talent, get talent.

Don't make things too difficult or try and get cute.

In defense of not taking Martin, the Bengals felt they were good and took Kirkpatrick, which would be hard for anyone to argue that CB wasn't a HUGE need. I don't think they tried to get cute with anything last year, they just didn't think they had a need since getting BJGE in FA.

Many of those backs taken last year didn't get much playing time, so it's hard to determine how well they will do long term. Some were taken where there was already a clear #1 RB and have to wait things out. I do however, think this years RB class is better than last years.

I'm also not suggesting waiting on taking a RB until the 4th round or later either.

With the similarities between them however, one of the top 2 RB's will be sitting there for our pick in the 2nd.

Take another player that fills an equal need and who is rated the better player and address RB, which would be rated the lesser player with your next pick.

I would bet a months salary there won't be more than two RB's taken before we pick at the top of the 2nd.

I'm not as confident, but would almost say one, if any.

I still want Matt Elam in the 1st and I don't see that changing soon.

In defense of not taking Martin, the Bengals felt they were good and took Kirkpatrick, which would be hard for anyone to argue that CB wasn't a HUGE need. I don't think they tried to get cute with anything last year, they just didn't think they had a need since getting BJGE in FA.

Many of those backs taken last year didn't get much playing time, so it's hard to determine how well they will do long term. Some were taken where there was already a clear #1 RB and have to wait things out. I do however, think this years RB class is better than last years.

I'm also not suggesting waiting on taking a RB until the 4th round or later either.

With the similarities between them however, one of the top 2 RB's will be sitting there for our pick in the 2nd.

Take another player that fills an equal need and who is rated the better player and address RB, which would be rated the lesser player with your next pick.

I would bet a months salary there won't be more than two RB's taken before we pick at the top of the 2nd.

I'm not as confident, but would almost say one, if any.

I still want Matt Elam in the 1st and I don't see that changing soon.

Yeah, I could deal with that. I haven't looked at draft charts yet. I usually don't until the Senior Bowl. I did like how the Bengals stayed put last draft and let talent fall to them.

I want Dalton to have that stud RB, but I want him to have that game changing speed.

With having BJGE for at least another season, I don't want another plodding RB, as I think he has that covered.

I want to see what Gruden could do with the type of back that can't be caught from behind.

Who is that back though ?? Most run in the 4.5's.

I think Gillislee is the only one with that blazing type speed.

I like him, but not as sold as I once was on him.

Honestly, I'd like to see us take 2 RBs. One in R2 and one in R5-7. Replacing Leonard with a better 3rd down back should be a goal as well.

I think that Ellington will be a name to keep an eye on in the 2nd for sure.

With them having Herron from the end of last years draft, I wonder if they would do that.

BJGE is the only RB I think is a definite from last seasons RB corps, so why not ??

Keeping in line with the thread topic, I don't really care as long as Gruden gets the RB this team needs.

If he could get this offense to do more than fire up offerings to Green, it would be a real plus.

If he can succeed in that, his chances of getting a HC gig will increase as well.

I still REALLY like Zac Stacy out of Vanderbily. No, he's not a blazer, but he makes people miss and is capable of big gains. He's also an excellent receiver that can make people miss in space.

Ray Rice isn't exactly a blazer, either, and I see Stacy as a Rice clone.

I think Rice is plenty fast; probably faster than Lacy. I want any back that can convert a 4th and 29

I just can't get used to the cat pic, searay. Cute little guy tho.

Funny you bring that up as it keeps disappearing. Such as today, it's mysteriously back to my boat although it's nowhere to be seen on my settings page. In fact I've only seen the kitten for a couple days since I changed it 2 weeks ago. I don't know what's up.

I was forced to turn off all sigs and avatars. It doesn't do well to have some of them popping up on my screen at school with students around.

I do my best not to be the next teacher to show up on the 6 o'clock news. lol.gif

Common sense from a teacher, how rare. :P