Sal Alosi Trip - punishment too harsh?

Scout200

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32GjasxOvU&feature=player_embedded

The NFL suspended New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs without pay for his intentional tripping of Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll on Sunday. He was also fined $25,000.

Some people feel that his punishment is too harsh while others think it should be more severe.. what are your thoughts?

Life time ban from the NFL!

There is no excuse for a coach to intentionally trip/punch/hurt a player.

He has admitted that his actions were intentional and should never be allowed the chance to injure another human being again. At least he has the balls to admit he made a stupid mistake and not deny it, but he does not deserve to be paid thousands of dollars as a NFL coach.

Life time ban from the NFL!

There is no excuse for a coach to intentionally trip/punch/hurt a player.

He has admitted that his actions were intentional and should never be allowed the chance to injure another human being again. At least he has the balls to admit he made a stupid mistake and not deny it, but he does not deserve to be paid thousands of dollars as a NFL coach.

That punishment is too harsh lol

but as for the question...It was a pretty terrible and stupid thing If it was earlier in the season Id say it is spot on punishment but this late no. Maybe if would have been fired I would like it a bit more

just read an interesting article on ESPN about this trip and now Im fine with the punishment. Apparently a gunner barreled through their sideline earlier and this time they formed the wall and it is believed someone ordered them to do it. and an inactive player was leaning his shoulder in an attempt to make contact. so the trip was still stupid but Im thinking its a less grievous offense than what I originally thought.

You can see how a bunch of guys in Jets sweatsuits are all standing in a line. It's pretty obvious they were doing it on purpose.

I just checked the video to confirm the numbers involved and found I had grossly underestimated them. The line of staff members standing toe-to-toe is five, with a sixth member standing directly behind Alosi to better protect the leading flank.

With Alosi confirming his actions were not only deliberate but part of an even bigger act of douchebaggery I'd say the fine and suspension handed down was grossly inadequate. Additional fines should be handed out to the team itself, the special teams coach, and Rex Ryan....who can't claim he was unaware of the tactic since he was standing within three or four feet of the so-called human wall.

You can see how a bunch of guys in Jets sweatsuits are all standing in a line. It's pretty obvious they were doing it on purpose.

I just checked the video to confirm the numbers involved and found I had grossly underestimated them. The line of staff members standing toe-to-toe is five, with a sixth member standing directly behind Alosi to better protect the leading flank.

With Alosi confirming his actions were not only deliberate but part of an even bigger act of douchebaggery I'd say the fine and suspension handed down was grossly inadequate. Additional fines should be handed out to the team itself, the special teams coach, and Rex Ryan....who can't claim he was unaware of the tactic since he was standing within three or four feet of the so-called human wall.

Rex created the culture that lead a coach to think this was a reasonable action. He's a lout. I still can't get over that he had his stomach resected or banded last summer. How can he still look like a fat slob? It's kind of magical.

That was a dangerous game those coaches were playing. Full speed NFL player inches fron you and you don't even move back? What if the player figures it out and goes for an "accidental" helmet to cranium hit? One of those coaches could get brain damage and end up as retarded as Rex Ryan himself.

Rex created the culture that lead a coach to think this was a reasonable action. He's a lout. I still can't get over that he had his stomach resected or banded last summer. How can he still look like a fat slob? It's kind of magical.

Personally I've known only one person who had that procedure and they somehow managed to gain weight while still in the hospital. And when I say somehow I mean they later confessed they had asked a friend to keep sneaking in milkshakes due to the temporary inability to eat solid foods.

FWIW the idea that someone would have surgery and then take steps to ensure it doesn't work is very amusing.

That was a dangerous game those coaches were playing. Full speed NFL player inches fron you and you don't even move back? What if the player figures it out and goes for an "accidental" helmet to cranium hit? One of those coaches could get brain damage and end up as retarded as Rex Ryan himself.

Yeah, I thought about that and I'd pay to see it. But I remind myself how the gunner on that play has a job to do and taking out a line of strength coaches and waterboys isn't part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The league office just handed down the final punishment to the Jets for this infraction...

Jets fined $100,000 for tripping incident

The NFL fined the New York Jets $100,000 in the wake of discoveries involving strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi, who instructed inactive players to stand in a wall in a prohibited area on the sideline to deter opposing teams' players during special-teams plays.

"This is both a competitive violation as well as a dangerous tactic," read the NFL statement to announce the fine.

The issue came to light when Alosi was caught on camera putting his knee forward as Miami gunner Nolan Carroll ran toward the Jets sideline and was tripped. Carroll was not injured. Alosi was suspended until the end of the season by the Jets for the trip.

Read the rest here.

In no way do I condone the actions of this guy. However, when considering that Lord Favre was only fined $50,000 for Weinie-Gate and could come back if he wanted, I think this is a little harsh. This guy doesn't make nearly what the players do and I think it will hang with him throughout his career. Dumb move on his part but a little leniency would be appropriate.Or include more in the party.