Raiders cut JaMarcus Russell

Personally I'm surprised this wasn't announced right after the Raiders signed Jason Campbell.

J-RusselPoster-Child.png

The best part about this is how then Raiders coach Lane Kiffin was adamantly against drafting Russell, but Al Davis would have his way, and declared him a winner. :lol:

This has got to rank as one of the all-time worst draft picks. He might win only because he was selected No. 1 while Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith were No. 2 and 3 respectively. Talent-wise or productivity-wise I think it's a toss-up.

JaMarcus Russell was doomed before he even got started. Had he been picked much later (maybe even 2nd Rd) I think he might have fared better.

Al Davis is a moron. Russell was not good enough to be the #1 overall pick, you guys have to understand the NFL is a copycat league. If a team runs a certain type of defense...others imitate, or a certain kind of offense or package (think wildcat) others will copy. The trend at that time was to take a Huge QB with cannon's for arms but little accuracy. The Vikings took Culpepper, The Jags - Leftwich, the Titans - Vince Young....That was the trend. All of those guys stood 6'5"-6'6" and weighed 240-265lbs. Huge. After the previously mentioned failures, the league has shied away from QB's who look like DE's the past couple of years.

Russell sucked bigtime, but so did his coaching. Now that he is officially labeled a "Bust" his best bet would be to hold a clipboard for a couple of season and actually learn the game. Maybe the Vike's have an interest in making him Culpepper 2.0 ?

The trend at that time was to take a Huge black QB with cannon's for arms but little accuracy. The Vikings took Culpepper, The Jags - Leftwich, the Titans - Vince Young....T

Racist much? Russel has nothing in common with any of those QB's besides the color of their skin as for the "time" Culpeppar was drafted 10 years ago Russel 3 years ago & Josh freeman last year (6'6 248) so I don't get why your labeling it like it was a fad of a era.

Culpeppar-Was a good Quarterback who then went to some very bad teams

Leftiwhich-Heavy yes but still not as bad as Jamarcus not only that but Russel is a Lazy Retard...Leftiwhich just isn't very mobile and has played behind some pretty bad Olines give him a Patriots or Colts Oline and he'd be successful.

-Josh Freeman looked good his rookie season

-Jason Cambell a Good QB who played for a bad team.

-Vince Young has been successful the only real issue is his stint of being mentally unstable.

Jamarcus was Fat Lazy and didn't wanna work IMO he's closer to a White Ryan Leaf or Rex Grossman who tryed getting on natural talent alone.

PS,

The trend at that time was to take a Huge black QB with cannon's for arms but little accuracy. The Vikings took Culpepper, The Jags - Leftwich, the Titans - Vince Young....T

Racist much? Russel has nothing in common with any of those QB's besides the color of their skin as for the "time" Culpeppar was drafted 10 years ago Russel 3 years ago & Josh freeman last year (6'6 248) so I don't get why your labeling it like it was a fad of a era.

Culpeppar-Was a good Quarterback who then went to some very bad teams

Leftiwhich-Heavy yes but still not as bad as Jamarcus not only that but Russel is a Lazy Retard...Leftiwhich just isn't very mobile and has played behind some pretty bad Olines give him a Patriots or Colts Oline and he'd be successful.

-Josh Freeman looked good his rookie season

-Jason Cambell a Good QB who played for a bad team.

-Vince Young has been successful the only real issue is his stint of being mentally unstable.

Jamarcus was Fat Lazy and didn't wanna work IMO he's closer to a White Ryan Leaf or Rex Grossman who tryed getting on natural talent alone.

PS,

Let me first say, I knew somebody would take what I wrote out of context. I also knew someone would crop what I wrote to point to that part specifically. So, way to go buddy thumbsup3.gif

The fact is, the NFL is a copycat league, and sad to say, it does stereotype players. I've had former college teammates who made it to the league, and told me that exact thing. I could give you many examples of it if you like. I mean, take your sig player for example, do you think the Wes Welker comparisons are 100% because of his ability? Are there no African American players that have the same skill set as Shipley (Caucasian) ? Why was he so quickly compared to Welker ONLY??? (who I by the way never compared him to, but you among others did) It's unfair, yes, but don't try to fool yourself into believing it doesn't exist.

I will not argue with you Kaz, but I will say that I am more than a little offended by your accusation.

Funny thing is you make excuses for a few QB's but yet, you don't mention that Russell had crap WR's, a coaching carousel, and a bad O-Line. In the right situation, Russell can be an OK QB.

I'd like to wait until you read this before I erase these posts.

Copycat part is QB's with very strong arms not Black QB's who are big and have big arms... how was Matt Stadford coming out of college that much different then Byron? Both known for huge arms and Byron was actually more accurate his final season.

Hell he had better numbers then our beloved Carson...

Carson

797 of 1334 passes (59.7%) 10,063 yrds 62 Touchdowns 40 Interceptions

Leftiwhich

939 of 1,442 passes (65.1 percent) for 11,903 yards, 89 touchdowns and only 28 interceptions. He amassed 12,090 yards of total offense on 1,632 plays, r

PS,I Know race gets factored in I just don't think it was a deciding factor in why Russel was selected Al Davis...Al likes to throw the ball Deep so you need a QB With a strong arm not a wet noodle like Brady Quinn

Let me first say, I knew somebody would take what I wrote out of context. I also knew someone would crop what I wrote to point to that part specifically. So, way to go buddy

Well, if you knew that and posted it anyway, then that's on you.

Otherwise, I agree with Derek. Just because you say it's prevalent to compare players only to other players of their race doesn't make it right. The only QB you mention who's remotely similar to Russell is Leftwich. Young, Culpepper, and Freeman have nothing in common with Russell except that they're black quarterbacks.

Otherwise, I agree with Derek.

That's a safe bet and a good call. I've noticed that I agree with myself 99% of the time (although I am prone to hyperbole, so it might be less).

But I appreciate your willingness to agree with me before I've even make my opinion known. Because on this contoversial issue, I might be totally out to lunch.

As Hair would say...

NADS

:lol:

I saw a story on ESPN about Russel. They interviewed an offensive lineman, no longer with the Raiders. He said Russel was a binge eater who hammered down huge quantities of food. He also said that during practice the players, as a point of pride, ran from one drill to the next. Russel never even tried, just too fat and out of shape to even fake it.

Total bust, and completely on Al Davis, as Lane Kiffen was reportedly completely opposed to selecting Russel.

The only QB you mention who's remotely similar to Russell is Leftwich. Young, Culpepper, and Freeman have nothing in common with Russell except that they're black quarterbacks.

I never mentioned Freeman, and there were many Daunte Culpepper comparisons pre-draft. For example:

"I've never seen a kid that big who can sit there and just have people hanging on him and make the throws he can make. He reminds me a little bit of Daunte Culpepper, but a little bigger. I'm sure he's going to continue to be a great player."

-- Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.8.html#ixzz0nY6mo93U

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

That's a safe bet and a good call. I've noticed that I agree with myself 99% of the time (although I am prone to hyperbole, so it might be less).

But I appreciate your willingness to agree with me before I've even make my opinion known. Because on this contoversial issue, I might be totally out to lunch.

As Hair would say...

NADS

Oops! I mean Kaz.....

The only QB you mention who's remotely similar to Russell is Leftwich. Young, Culpepper, and Freeman have nothing in common with Russell except that they're black quarterbacks.

I never mentioned Freeman, and there were many Daunte Culpepper comparisons pre-draft. For example:

"I've never seen a kid that big who can sit there and just have people hanging on him and make the throws he can make. He reminds me a little bit of Daunte Culpepper, but a little bigger. I'm sure he's going to continue to be a great player."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.8.html#ixzz0nY6mo93U

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

So if Kubiak says something I should take it as fact? Are you incapable of forming your own opinion? What do YOU think Culpepper and Russell have in common other than being black?

As Hair would say...

NADS

Oops! I mean Kaz.....

I'm starting to think some of you guys are guilty of posting while under the influence.

Perhaps we should share notes, helpful hints, and the occasional recipe?

Ehh?

I brought up Josh Freeman because by what you mentioned he fit the bill a Black 6'4-6'6 QB who weighed 235+ lbs and a big arm "shrug"...

As for him reminding you of culpeppar

-Culpeppar was a very Successful QB in the NFL

-Culpeppar wasn't a fat sack of crap

-Culpeppar had a Drive to play football,Russel doesn't.

-Carson came out of college weighing 255+ lbs

seriously you can compare

47 TD's 29 INT's

File:Daunte_Culpepper_cropped.JPG

18 TD 23 INT's

179.jpg

IMO The only QB who ever has been a "Jamarcuss type QB" was Jared Lorenzen Giants Fat QB from a few years ago.

So Big Ben is a big guy who is hard to tackle and still make a big throw,is he black?