Terrell Skinner FS Maryland

Mike Newton FS Buffalo

Chris Maragos FS Wisconsin

Justin Woodall SS Alabama

Jevan Snead. QB Miss

Bring in some of those guys :-P

Reedy:

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/04/24/let-the-cfa-signings-begin/

According to various reports safeties Jeromy Miles (UMass) and Bryan Evans (Georgia), running backs Mikell Simpson (Virginia) and Cordera Eason (Mississippi), tight end Jeff Cottam (Tennessee), linebacker Vincent Rey (Duke) and long snapper Mike Windt (UC) have signed.

If we really signed Jeromy Miles, that is awesome! He is the reason I didn't care if the bengals took a safety eraly on in the draft, because I think Miles will be better than most of those other guys. The Sporting News War Room had him as the #5 rated safety behind only, Berry, Thomas, Mays, and Allen. Check out what they say:

Jeromy Miles

S, Massachusetts

Height: 6-2 Weight: 215

40-yard dash: 4.49

War Room analysis

Coverage skills: Has excellent cover skills. Can match up in man-to-man coverage off the line of scrimmage. Has the feet, hip movement, recovery and eyes to play tight coverage down the field. Shows natural awareness and anticipation skills as a zone defender. Does a great job of reading the quarterback's eyes and breaks quickly to the throw. Can track and adjust to the ball in the air, almost as well as a top receiver. Is physical with his jam to redirect receivers. Grade: 7.0

Coverage skills: Shows outstanding instincts and recognition skills. Is an aggressive and physical player against both the run and the pass. Plays with discipline on the edge in run support and takes excellent pursuit angles. Moves on the ball before it is in the air because of excellent anticipation skills. Grade: 7.5

Closing speed: Has excellent closing ability. Lacks elite-level explosiveness and burst. Can change gears with balance on the move. Has excellent range in coverage. Grade: 6.5

Ball skills: Grade: 7.0

Run support: Is an aggressive and physical player in run support. Is not afraid to get in on a tackle. Is a physical tackler who is capable of making the big hit to jar the ball loose. Is an outstanding tackler on the move at the perimeter and in space. Must do a better job of keeping his head up. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Miles will start as a rookie. He is a mature player in all phases of the game. He merits strong second-round consideration for a team that needs a starting safety in the fall. He would be a steal in the third round.

More on Miles:

Jeromy Miles

6'2" 215 4.46-40 time 35.5 vert 13 reps

Skinny: When Jeromy Miles transferred from the Navy to the University of Massachusetts, he wasn’t even considering the NFL. While he appreciated what the military had done for him, he knew that he preferred the civilian life. Now that the NFL is a distinct possibility for the 6’2” 215 safety, he is even happier with his decision, knowing he’d have to serve for at least two years before turning pro. Miles says that the military has made him a more disciplined person, and that is a big part of his success. An All-Academic selection, his coaches say that he is a leader for the team, as well as a can’t-miss prospect.

Our View: Miles is an ideal strong safety prospect with good size (6’2, 215), solid speed (4.55) and the ability to support the run with good range and closing speed. The former Navy transfer left because the military life just wasn’t for him but has since then torn up the CAA with back to back all-conference seasons capped by his 1st team All-CAA effort last year with 104 tackles, five tackles for loss, three picks, two breakups, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries. Keep an eye on this kid as he could rise up the board.

This article has a little different view, saying he may need a year or two to develop into a starting safety. But still very positive about him. We could develop him into our future starting safety and got ourselves a steal.

UNDER THE RADAR:JEROMY MILES

Many believe that NFL general managers earn their paychecks based on their level of success in the later rounds of the draft by uncovering those hidden gems that can push a team over the top. With the NFL’s scouting process now concluded, many names have been brought to the forefront that weren’t exactly on the tip of anyone’s tongues when the collegiate season started. This segment called Under the Radar will continue to explore just what scouts find attractive about certain prospects that may be available beyond the glamour rounds of the draft and why you’re team may be interested in landing one of these sleepers in the upcoming draft.

As transfer from the Naval Academy, Jeromy Miles began his career at the University of Massachusetts in 2007 by instantly becoming a full time starter. His time at UMASS culminated in Miles being named as the team captain in 2009 during yet another successful campaign for the 6’2” 210 pounder. Miles is a ball hawk with tremendous instincts and the willingness to step up and help in defending the run game as well being a stout, wrap-up tackler. For his size, his pro day performance was quite impressive running a 4.45 seconds time in the 40 yard dash, producing a 10’10” broad jump, and showing his hops as well with a 35.5-inch vertical leap. Zone coverage is where Miles excels reading the eyes of the opposing quarterback and closing on the intended target quickly to breaks up passes.

Contrastingly, man coverage is an area where Miles will need to improve mightily often looking stiff in the hips with a very rigid backpedal. Although an instinctive nature is a desirable attribute in a safety, sometimes it needs to be tempered down a bit and he shows that at times over committing and getting beaten over the top on homerun plays. There will definitely be a step up competition wise for Miles moving to the NFL and he will have to understand more complex coverage schemes. Expect a learning curve for any team looking to land an immediate gem as Miles may take a year or two to fully develop. He may not be a sure thing, but with his intangibles and outstanding size/athleticism combination, Miles has steal written all over him anywhere from the 5th to the 7th round of the draft.

A number of names will be called during the upcoming NFL Draft that seem to be from out of left field, but don’t let Jeromy Miles be one of them. Keep looking out for more Under the Radar players shooting up draft boards or quietly lurking in this incredibly deep 2010 class with the potential to make a huge impact over the coming years on Sundays

I have a hard time getting excited about Undrafted Free Agents. I know that there will be some guys that have successful NFL careers, but it is usually a couple years after the fact, and often times with another team.

I liken it to the MLB draft. It's simply not that exciting, because it's almost always a few years before an impact is made.

I have a hard time getting excited about Undrafted Free Agents. I know that there will be some guys that have successful NFL careers, but it is usually a couple years after the fact, and often times with another team.

I liken it to the MLB draft. It's simply not that exciting, because it's almost always a few years before an impact is made.

I feel that happens in the NFL as well. I mean Peyton Manning sucked right out of the box. It was years later he accomplished a winning record in a season, and won a league MVP award.

Signing undrafted rookies is fun because its like getting extra draft picks.