1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Welcome to the 2010 NFL draft (Bengalszone Style) !!!

This is the place to discuss everything there is about who the Bengals are going to draft in the FIRST round...

Once again, let's try to keep things as organized as we can and if there are problems through the next several days, let me or one of the Mods know about it.

Thanks and here's to hoping this draft is a good one !!!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start this off by saying, while there are multiple players I could see going to us at #21, I really think they are looking at Gresham the most.

I think he will be the pick minus someone else falling to us like Dez Bryant. Yeah, I'm still hoping for Mays though !!!

Lineman or trade down... more pickks equal mre players, get gronkowski early 2nd,.. Thats if we dont get mays,.. who also i think can slip...

When I looked at last years draft, it appeared to me that Mikee had allowed the football people to pick the players -- That's what I want this year.

Lets pick some football players that have shown more then potential.

In the first round I expect someone to "fall", I'd be happy with Taylor Mays, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Demaryius Thomas or Sergio Kindle. [i know not all of these would be considered falling and Thomas is more of a potential than production so far, but I like him.]

I'd be orgasmic (tough on an old man) with Dez Bryant, Earl Thomas or Jason Pierre-Paul.

I'd go take my nap, if we take Jermaine Gresham.

And I'd be confused (again) if we take C.J. Spiller, Jimmy Clausen, or Brian Bulaga

Because there are so many possibilities, I find this years draft "interesting". Like the old Chinese curse -- "May you live in interesting times." :cheers:

My prediction? I think that when the 21st pick rolls around, both Taylor Mays and Jermaine Gresham will still be on the board.

And i think that when the 22nd pick is up, both Taylor Mays and Jermain Gresham will still be on the board, because with the 21st selection in the 2010 NFL draft, the Bengals take Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech.

Me, I'd rather have Gresham or Mays, but for better or for worse I feel a first-round wideout comin' in my bones.

Looking at this schedule and I realize that Defense has to be the focus in the draft. What is the best fit for Cincinnati? Brandon Graham. Sergio Kindle is getting me interested. He could be the Peter Boulware. The defense needs more juice.

#21 - Brandon Graham

Sergio Kindle

Kylie Wilson

Dez Bryant

Dare I say it....a lineman? either side? Please?

(preference is for an athletic&versatile OG or a pass rushing phenom DE)

Control the line of scrimmage, control the game

yeah, yeah, we know...."Gimme A Lineman"

It's not happening though.

I'll take that as a bet, pimp

You got it......Stakes?

Main reason I wanna go D is I think it will be much bigger BPA and still can look to grab a TE in the 2nd round ...

If I had pick one guy though I'd say Sergio Kindle simply Marvin Loves Linebackers and we need better pass rush...Did I mention Marvin Really loves linebackers?

And i think that when the 22nd pick is up, both Taylor Mays and Jermain Gresham will still be on the board, because with the 21st selection in the 2010 NFL draft, the Bengals take Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech.

Me, I'd rather have Gresham or Mays, but for better or for worse I feel a first-round wideout comin' in my bones.

Why qualify things by saying for better or worse when doing the above is exactly what you've been advocating for weeks?

I want D, and could list a half dozen names I like almost equally.

And I'd willingly settle for Iupati or Pouncey.

But I'm predicting the pick will be Gresham.

Yeah, I agree on your defense first but settling for Gresham thought. None of the defenders that will be available are jumping out of the stack (although I'm starting to gain on Weatherspoon the more I see how athletic he is). I didn't watch him last year but he year before he was incredible at Missouri. If he could play MLB, I could almost justify drafting him there instead of moving Rey. He's also smarter and more of a leader - and so better suited to the middle. Although there's talk the Giants and Falcons are sweet on him now...).

This year feels a lot like two years ago, when all signs were pointing to Rivers. He was a solid, sensible, but definitely not sexy pick. I have the same feelings about Gresham.

I'm shocked Jerry Hughes isn't getting more love. If Thomas, Bryant (because he's just too hard to pass up), or an OL we covet isn't there, he's my top choice. Just sick pass rush.

Hughes doesn't fit the Bengals defensive scheme. He needs to play OLB on a team that runs a 3-4 defense. His tackling and coverage skills aren't good enough to be a SAM in our system. He's a one-dimensional player, pass rush only, and i don't want to spend a 1st on that. Scouting reports say he is a "Stright Ahead" player, and lacks "true" pass rush moves.

I'm shocked Jerry Hughes isn't getting more love. If Thomas, Bryant (because he's just too hard to pass up), or an OL we covet isn't there, he's my top choice. Just sick pass rush.

Hughes doesn't fit the Bengals defensive scheme. He needs to play OLB on a team that runs a 3-4 defense. His tackling and coverage skills aren't good enough to be a SAM in our system. He's a one-dimensional player, pass rush only, and i don't want to spend a 1st on that. Scouting reports say he is a "Stright Ahead" player, and lacks "true" pass rush moves.

Lacks true pass rush moves? Really?!?! Have you watched him play? I can't think of anyone in this draft who turns the corner more quickly. The man can flat out cut 90 degrees behind the Tackle to the quarterback with an incredible shoulder dip and rip. I'm surprised when I see it that he hasn't blown out a hip.

He may, in fact, not have experience as a SAM, but neither did Pollack and that's exactly what I'm looking for, Marvin's Joker. Some say Kindle has that, but IMO his short shuttle time is quite slow and I think he simply lacks the explosiveness of Hughes. Start watching the video below around 2:30:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoo94qwh_4

Next read this article below. Sure, it has its flaws, but it's interesting:

/>http://footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer

BTW, even before I read this I was lusting after Daniel Te'o-Neshiem and had us taking him in the 4th. I'm thinking now maybe the 3rd...

Zimmer said he wants more pressure on the quarterback. If we want a SLB to provide some of that, then we only have a shot at Kindle or Hughes in the 1st (no way Graham falls). Koa Misi won't fall to us in the second. We can always get someone like AJ Edds in the 4th or 5th for SLB, but I'd rather take an edge rusher with freakish numbers who can stand up than go the other way. Of course, this is all moot if Thomas or Graham are there in the 1st...

I think most are projecting him to play OLB in a 3-4 so the fit isn't obvious. Plus, the value seems shaky. That said, unlike most of the so-called conversion guys I think he has the size needed to play 4-3 DE if desired.

Looking at this schedule and I realize that Defense has to be the focus in the draft.

Defense would surely be a way to go

I beg to differ. It was the offense who let the team down late last season. Couldn't stay on the field for more than three downs to save their lives.

IMHO the problem was either the receiving corps couldn't get open, or Palmer wasn't afforded time in the pocket to find an open man.

I lean towards the former. It's time to go offense in round #1. Preferably a WR.

Oh I get what you are saying Billy, but I'm simply basing that assumption on the fact I believe the WR's I like will be gone or not of value at #21, minus D. Thomas (who I could live with) and the fact I simply see the BPA being a defensive one. Like I said though, i've already resigned myself to Gresham being the pick. Oddly enough, I'm ok with that as well. Not the best way to go in my opinion, but certainly wouldn't hurt either.

The other though to defense is the need to establish a more consistent pass rush when you consider the teams we are playing this season.

It's an almost equal weakness of this team.