Justin Smith tore it up?

Kazkal

was just browsing Ends on PF Focus and Justin was ranked as top 3-4 End with a score of 40 :o

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=DE4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Always liked the guy and if he really had that kind of season I guess he lived up to his selection >_< just for the wrong team.

was just browsing Ends on PF Focus and Justin was ranked as top 3-4 End with a score of 40 ohmy.gif

http://profootballfo...s=25&numgames=1

Always liked the guy and if he really had that kind of season I guess he lived up to his selection >_< just for the wrong team.

Well, 3-4 Ends aren't really expected to get many sacks, Justin was always a good run defender, I liked the guy, he just wanted too much money.

But really, those rankings? Randy Starks was #2....What does that tell you?

Also Just a couple of things I noticed quickly, Alan Branch (#11) and John Henderson (#14) are on that list, and they are both DT's...NOT ENDS...Take that for what it's worth.

was just browsing Ends on PF Focus and Justin was ranked as top 3-4 End with a score of 40 ohmy.gif

http://profootballfo...s=25&numgames=1

Well, 3-4 Ends aren't really expected to get many sacks, Justin was always a good run defender, I liked the guy, he just wanted too much money.

But really, those rankings? Randy Starks was #2....What does that tell you?

Also Just a couple of things I noticed quickly, Alan Branch (#11) and John Henderson (#14) are on that list, and they are both DT's...NOT ENDS...Take that for what it's worth.

http://www.nfl.com/players/alanbranch/profile?id=BRA489251

Branch is a 3-4 End ala Ngata,As for henderson can't say maybe he did get fair share at 3-4 end since Jaguars played around with the 3-4 last season.

PS, Maybe randy starks was underrated ;)

Regarding Justin, look at the total snaps played. It's a staggering 977....which is dramatically more than he averaged as a 4-3 DE. And that's true of his time as a Bengal and in his first season with the 49'ers.

Simply put, the man is a true 3-down player who never has to come off the field now.

Regarding Justin, look at the total snaps played. It's a staggering 977....which is dramatically more than he averaged as a 4-3 DE. And that's true of his time as a Bengal and in his first season with the 49'ers.

Simply put, the man is a true 3-down player who never has to come off the field now.

Wasn't he always sround 95% of Defensive og snaps so not like he was getting much time off here...Probably just 49ers Defense is on the field much more then ours was then?

Justin Smith reminds me of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, big scary body then those little almost useless arms attached to it.

With a budweiser tattoo. Funny, being local I do hear mostly positive comments about him, despite the fact that he still seems to be the same player he was in Cincy. Pressures, but doesn't finish well, good against the run. That said, it was a win-win, I suppose because he topped out for the Bengals (unfortunately very early on). I have found it oddly satisfying that former Bengals defensive players have been able to contribute in SF -- they seem to like Ahmad Brooks a lot too, despite rather pedestrian stats. How to mighty have fallen. If it wasn't for Willis, they wouldn't have be able to field three decent players on that side of the ball. BTW - Willis is a beast.

Wasn't he always sround 95% of Defensive og snaps so not like he was getting much time off here...Probably just 49ers Defense is on the field much more then ours was then?

Yeah, he always played a very high number of snaps in Cincy as well and was rumored to be over 900 snaps several times. That said, the Bengals repeatedly attempted to reduce Smith's snap count believeing he'd be a more productive pass rusher if fresher. In fact, the opposite seems to be true with Smith's last season in Cincy being his worst despite playing a greatly reduced number of snaps.

Edit: I just checked the stats for 2007, Smith's last as a Bengal. Just 519 snaps played and for the first time in his career a noticable decline defending the run.

Yeah, he always played a very high number of snaps in Cincy as well and was rumored to be over 900 snaps several times. That said, the Bengals repeatedly attempted to reduce Smith's snap count believeing he'd be a more productive pass rusher if fresher. In fact, the opposite seems to be true with Smith's last season in Cincy being his worst despite playing a greatly reduced number of snaps.

Edit: I just checked the stats for 2007, Smith's last as a Bengal. Just 519 snaps played and for the first time in his career a noticable decline defending the run.

Interesting guy indeed lol needs play more to get his engine going vs get brakes,I just wish he didn't go to the 49ers :( was always one of my favorite players.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting guy indeed lol needs play more to get his engine going vs get brakes,I just wish he didn't go to the 49ers :( was always one of my favorite players.

Of course, if you get the chance to play that many snaps, there's that much more of a chance you'll, say, jump on a pile or chase a guy down 5-10 yards downfield, and inflate your stats. :) It's kind of like a guy taking 30 shots in a basketball game, and also being the high scorer.

UH ??? He made the Pro Bowl this past season.

All of which proves that no matter what happens in the future the loudest critics of a player never bother reconsidering the stupid things they've said for years. For example, the epic stupidity that STILL claims Smith only makes tackles five yards downfield or will never make the Pro Bowl.

Here's what we know. Smith's gone, and he's ripping it up for his new team, and if that isn't what you expected then maybe you need to reconsider your opinion about his playing ability as a Bengal. By the same token, if you expected Smith to do well in his new home you probably don't need to further explain the support you gave Smith when he was in stripes.

In short, the people who hated Smith when he was a Bengals were idiots then, and they're idiots now. All that's changed is in this one example their idiocy has been proven.

Smith is a solid NFL player, never will make a pro-bowl, IMO though.

huh.gif UH ??? He made the Pro Bowl this past season. They had him at DT.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Really, that is surprising. Why at DT?