Matt Jones-Redeemer at work

Kazkal

Titans, Bengals may be making a Moonshine run

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2010 7:44 PM ET

After flirting with receiver Matt Jones during the 2009 season, the Tennessee Titans have decided to give the 2005 first-round draft pick a shot at resurrecting his career.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, the Titans have offered a contract to Jones, a converted quarterback from Arkansas whose four-year stint with the Jaguars did not yield the results that the franchise had anticipated.

Jones also has visited with the Bengals. It's unclear whether Cincinnati has made him an offer.

After a 2008 arrest for felony cocaine possession, Jones had the best year of his career, catching 65 passes for 761 yards in only 12 games. But he landed in jail for a week last year after violating the terms of his diversion program (he drank alcohol while golfing), and the Jaguars cut him loose.

The Titans gave Jones a tire-kicking in September, but no offer was made. As a member of a team's offseason roster, he'll have an opportunity to become fully involved in the playbook and the system his next team uses.

Still, after missing an entire year of football, it'll be interesting to see whether the man we dubbed "Moonshine" given his resemblance to former teammate Nick Sorensen (who looks like "Sunshine" from Remember the Titans) has anything left in the tank.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how feel about being everybody's half-way house but at least they are trying to look for options. I can only hope that with Marvin's friendship with Jack DelRio, there will be some honest dialogue about this guy.

I look at this as the Bengals "kicking the tires" on WRs that are available before the real UFA activity begins here shortly.

It says alot about the front office, in analyzing a position of dire need.

More than anything, it tells me the Bengals are looking at all the veteran WRs at this point, and not hoping to spend a high-pick on a rookie, which is perfectly OK with me.

Also, consider that the last most-prominent veteran receivers that were known to have visited here from the market are Joey Galloway and now Cocaine Jones, which says a lot about what the coaches think about not being able to successfully throw the football down the field.

That said, it might end up being a redemption job if the Titans fall through, but the Bengals are being proactive, which indiactes that the team isn't exactly enamored with Coles' or Caldwell's play from last season.

Per Reedy, the Bengals have a (nearly) league minimum deal on the table for Jones.

Bengals have interest in Jones

Posted by jreedy February 11th, 2010, 8:48 pm

As the Bengals look to add receivers, an interesting name has entered the mix.

The Bengals and Titans have both offered former Jaguars receiver Matt Jones a contract. According to The Tennessean, the Titans have been interested in Jones since last September while Jones visited with the Bengals this week.

The deal is believed to be slightly above the league minimum of $630,000. Neither team also would not have to wait until the start of free agency on March 5 to sign him since he didn’t play last year.

While both offers are for around the same amount, Jones might have a better opportunity with the Bengals. The Titans have a stable corps of receivers in Justin Gage, Nate Washington and Kenny Britt while the Bengals are lacking playmakers.

The Bengals have Chad Ochocinco, who has campaigned the past two weeks to sign Terrell Owens, Laveranues Coles and Andre Caldwell, but Coles struggled last season, which puts his future, especially in an uncapped year, somewhat in doubt. They are also lacking a fourth receiver who can stretch the field following the death of Chris Henry.

During his four seasons in Jacksonville, the former first-round pick did not live up to the potential that the Jaguars thought he had. His best season was in 2008, when he caught 65 passes for 761 yards and two touchdowns. His four-year totals are 166 catches for 2,153 yards with 15 TDs.

Jones played quarterback at the University of Arkansas but was converted to a receiver in the NFL because of his size (6-foot-6) and speed. But off-the-field problems have derailed his career.

Jones was released by Jacksonville last March after violating the terms of a plea deal. In the summer of 2008, he was arrested for felony possession of a controlled substance. Those charges, which were for possession of cocaine, were later dropped after he completed a drug program. The league did suspend Jones for three games in 2008 for violating the substance abuse policy.

The team is also expected to have interest in former Cleveland receiver Dante Stallworth, who was released by the Browns on Monday after being reinstated by Commissioner Roger Goodell after the Super Bowl.

Jones? Stallworth?

I don't know. With a league minimum contract, it's worth the risk. I'm higher on Jones than Stallworth but Stallworth's had a couple of solid years back with NE.

Mike Brown...you can criticize or love his "redeeming" qualities. One thing you have to respect is his consistency...and after the success this past year with Tank and Benson, you have to like the sense of urgency the Bengals are taking.

I will literry poo my pants if we get matt jones... Pacman not so much...

What? You don't want a 6'6" WR that runs a 4.7 40 ? Oh, I get it....They want to teach him to block, and use him as a TE...NO !!!

Seriously, we've got DE's that run faster...

4.7???? Dude he runs like a 4.3 outta college. now its its probably a 4.4 or 4.5 if he stayed in shape... so yes i do want him thats why i'd crap myself.

I will literry poo my pants if we get matt jones... Pacman not so much...

What? You don't want a 6'6" WR that runs a 4.7 40 ? Oh, I get it....They want to teach him to block, and use him as a TE...NO !!!

Seriously, we've got DE's that run faster...

4.7???? Dude he runs like a 4.3 outta college. now its its probably a 4.4 or 4.5 if he stayed in shape... so yes i do want him thats why i'd crap myself.

Granted coming out of college the dude ran like 4.37-4.39 ish...But that was then, and also without pads...He is not nearly that fast on the field, as evidenced by his career avg of 13.0 yards per reception. He is not a big play threat like someone who "supposedly" runs a 4.3 40 would be.

By comparison, Chad has a 14.5 yd per reception career avg, and he wont run a 4.3 40.....

a 40 time is not always an indicator of "game speed", and honestly, If he truly ran a 4.3 40 at 6'6", his routes could be crap, and he would still get open on size and speed alone.....but that's not the case.

If anything.... I say, see if he can add 25 lbs, see how good his blocking is....and make him a TE.

The guy was a QB in college, didn't translate as a pro, was drafted with the idea of converting to WR, didn't really work...Why not make a 3rd change to TE...Third times the charm right? :lol:

I'm on board with bringing in either Matt Jones or TO. Absolutely not on Stallworth...number 1, he killed a man and number 2, he couldn't even keep a job with the Cleveland Clowns.

I don't know what kinda shape Matt Jones is in and he obviously was retarded in the past but almost half of our roster has a checkered past but he obviously had a good enough workout for us to offer him a contract already.

TO would no doubt bring a circus being teamed up with Chad and he doesn't have the best hands but I still believe he has gas left in the tank and be a good enough weapon for this passing game to be a threat again.

I don't know about Pacman yet. I would love to have him resurrect his career here after being a Top 10 selection, so you know he has the talent, but he seems like he doesn't want to turn his life around like Chris Henry. He's been given a second chance but maybe being out of football helped humble him. I would love to bring him in as a nickel/return man if needed and some insurance after Joseph and Hall if he's ready to change like Cedric Benson.

When Jones came out, he was a 6-6 QB 242lbs. out of Arkansas that ran in the 4.37 range some teams wanted him for the TE spot, some teams wanted him as a WR most teams were not sure what he would play.

While I doubt that he is much of a blocker, it is possible that the Bengals are thinking of him as a TE or a guy that plays a little of both.

With him being out of football for a while its possible that he is more in the TE size range.

This guy is a hell of an athelete.

The thing that worries me here is the drugs, his nickname is "moonshine" so, the guy must have a party kind of lifestyle.

The worry here is that the instead of the good guys on the team bringing the guy around, that he would get other players on the team involved in drugs.

Or, that he just cant stay off the drugs, does the name Stanley Wilson ring a Bell?

I am all for giving a guy that you didnt spend a draft choice on a 2nd chance, it is alot better than wasting a draft choice on a guy that has alot of question marks all around him.

This guy could end up filling the Chris Henry role for us or being our Vernon Davis or a little of both.

Bengals have worked out Pac Man as well.

/>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4907418&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Yeah baby! Keep em rolling! I'd love nothing more than to sign some "troubled" cases, win the AFCN again and stick it to the critics! Screw em!

I may not be too keen on these moves. But thats a great attitude to have right there.

I would rather have Matt Jones than either Stallworth or TO. Pac-man would be a very talented #3 CB and if he could stay out of trouble would be great depth in case Jjoe or Hall were to go down.

I have zero problem signing these two, if the contracts are minimal and they are easily let go if problems pop up with thier behaviour.

Depth is the biggest problem for the Bengals next season, they finally have most of the wholes plugged in the starting lineup. It is now time to build the second stringers into capable replacements, when injuries happen.

Whether Jones is a good fit or not, it shows that the front office is being proactive even before free agency and exploring their options to fix a huge position of need, and that gets a big thumbs up from me.