ROCK FANS ONLY

ackley1

Who was the best band to come out of Seatle?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best band to come out of Seatle?

• Pearl Jam
    • Nirvana
    • Soundgarden
    • Alice in Chains

I would have to pick chains. They had a great dark sound and you can't beat the harmony between Lane Staley and Jerry Cantrell. I'm also a big Soundgarden fan. They definitely had their own sound.

I think Nirvana and Pearl Jam were overrated. I liked some of their stuff but I don't think their nearly as good as Chains and Soundgarden. Pearl Jam should have broken up 10 years ago because they haven't come out with anything worth listening to in a long time.

I think all of them were unique and you could listen to 2 notes on the guitar and know which band was playing. They all helped provide a shift in mainstream media which happens with bands like Zepplin, Sabbith, (and more) in the 60-70s. But I have to go with Alice also.. the songs they made are some of the best during the 90s.

Soundgarden was a close second and really became huge fans of them after seeing them live in the mid-90s... still listen to Spoonman, Rusty Cage, Fell on Blackdays, and Room 1,000 Years Wide today...

I'd have to say (in my opinion) that Nirvana had the biggest influence on the music scene.

Love this one !!! I am going to go with Alice on this one. While I love Soundgarden, "Jesus Christ Pose" ROCKS, the whole dark heavy groove of Alice just had something extra for me. Pearl Jam was the S**T their first two CD's then I don't know what happened... Their stuff got weird and very bland IMO. I always liked Nirvana as well, however, it just wasn't heavy enough for me. If Cobain was still alive, would he still be looked at in the same frame of mind he is now ?? I personally don't think so, but we will never know. Good subject...

WHODEY !!!

Love this one !!! I am going to go with Alice on this one. While I love Soundgarden, "Jesus Christ Pose" ROCKS, the whole dark heavy groove of Alice just had something extra for me. Pearl Jam was the S**T their first two CD's then I don't know what happened... Their stuff got weird and very bland IMO. I always liked Nirvana as well, however, it just wasn't heavy enough for me. If Cobain was still alive, would he still be looked at in the same frame of mind he is now ?? I personally don't think so, but we will never know. Good subject...

WHODEY !!!

I think if Kurt lived on his legacy wouldn't be near as big as it is. If Eddie Vedder would have died ten years ago Pearl Jam's legacy would have been alot stronger, but instead they kept releasing the same old s**t. Now their just an old, worn out band.

I'll cast my vote as E. NONE OF THE ABOVE.

My vote for the best rock band to come out of Seattle is Queensryche. If you did see the "Empire" tour in the early 1990s, then you would know why. They played the entire "Operation Mindcrime" CD in its entirity. Geoff Tate is the vocalist from hell. Chris De Garma is an excellent guitarist. Eddie Jackson was picked the "Best Bassist of the Rock World" for 5 years straight. Seeing them live is like watching a really good movie.

Yeah, early Soundgarden is okay, Pearl Jam's 10 was excellent, and Alice In Chains (when Layne Staley wasn't on enough Heroin to kill an elephant) was good at times too.

However, Soundgarden sold out halfway through the 90s, Pearl Jam's only CD is 10 and that "taking on Ticketmaster" thing was totally stupid, and Alice In Chains has too many "Yeah" lyrics on a couple of their CDs.

My only question for Pearl Jam is "where the f**k did all that edge go off to"??? It's like Eddie Vedder got his nuts chopped off in between the recordings of 10 and Verses.

That's why Queensryche gets my vote--sure they may suck now--but for 15 years, Queensryche ruled that town. That's why the 'Rychers get my vote.

My vote for the best rock band to come out of Seattle is Queensryche. If you did see the "Empire" tour in the early 1990s, then you would know why. They played the entire "Operation Mindcrime" CD in its entirity. Geoff Tate is the vocalist from hell. Chris De Garma is an excellent guitarist. Eddie Jackson was picked the "Best Bassist of the Rock World" for 5 years straight. Seeing them live is like watching a really good movie.

Holy s**t....I'm in total agreement with Barbarian...

The end is near :ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Yeah, early Soundgarden is okay, Pearl Jam's 10 was excellent, and Alice In Chains (when Layne Staley wasn't on enough Heroin to kill an elephant) was good at times too.

However, Soundgarden sold out halfway through the 90s, Pearl Jam's only CD is 10 and that "taking on Ticketmaster" thing was totally stupid, and Alice In Chains has too many "Yeah" lyrics on a couple of their CDs.

My only question for Pearl Jam is "where the f**k did all that edge go off to"??? It's like Eddie Vedder got his nuts chopped off in between the recordings of 10 and Verses.

That's why Queensryche gets my vote--sure they may suck now--but for 15 years, Queensryche ruled that town. That's why the 'Rychers get my vote.

Why am I not surprised that Barbarion comes up w/ Queensryche. Hey, whatever floats your boat man. Also, when was Mane Staley not strung out? I'm not promoting drugs or anything but in most cases a bands best music is when they're all f**ked up on drugs. As soon as they go the sober route their music usually sucks. One more thing, how did Soundgarden sell out? I thin their last album was just as good as any other. It's just too bad the bastards broke up.

My vote for the best rock band to come out of Seattle is Queensryche.  If you did see the "Empire" tour in the early 1990s, then you would know why.  They played the entire "Operation Mindcrime" CD in its entirity.  Geoff Tate is the vocalist from hell.  Chris De Garma is an excellent guitarist.  Eddie Jackson was picked the "Best Bassist of the Rock World" for 5 years straight.  Seeing them live is like watching a really good movie.

My only question for Pearl Jam is "where the f**k did all that edge go off to"???  It's like Eddie Vedder got his nuts chopped off in between the recordings of 10 and Verses.

That's why Queensryche gets my vote--sure they may suck now--but for 15 years, Queensryche ruled that town.  That's why the 'Rychers get my vote.

Why am I not surprised that Barbarion comes up w/ Queensryche. Hey, whatever floats your boat man. Also, when was Mane Staley not strung out? I'm not promoting drugs or anything but in most cases a bands best music is when they're all f**ked up on drugs. As soon as they go the sober route their music usually sucks. One more thing, how did Soundgarden sell out? I thin their last album was just as good as any other. It's just too bad the bastards broke up.

Ackley1,

How is Soundgarden sell-outs??? ARE you kidding me???

If you're like most fans, then all you've heard from Soundgarden is "Black Hole Son" or "Black Days" or whatever's crap has been played on the radio.

Go back further and listen to earlier Soundgarden. Listen to "Rusty Cage" or "Heretic". That stuff was good and it was nothing like the sell-out stuff. Ackley1, when you sell-out, it means that you make songs for radio air/popularity. That's exactly what Soundgarden did. Same goes for Pearl Jam.

And somebody needs to tell me what's wrong with Queensryche. Has anyone on this board ever heard Operation Mindcrime or Rage For Order in it's entirity??? No Band on this poll has ever had a concept album. Queensryche has had 2. Geoff Tate was voted best vocalist for 10 years in starting from 1984-1993.

It's not like these other bands didn't kick ass at one point--Alice in Chains on Dirt really kicked ass. Facelift was a wayyyyy underrated album. However, I refuse to vote for a band that for one entire album the lyrics were as follows: "YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!!". Jerry Cantrell is a very underrated guitarist.

Pearl Jam's 10 was probably the best album out of these 4 bands. They were edgy. Then somewhere along the line of taking on Ticketmaster and getting rich, they mellowed. Everything from Verses on has completely been trash. I don't get the legend status of Eddie Vedder. It's as overrated as making Eric Clapton a Living Legend.

Nirvana changed the face of music forever. Nirvana is clearly the most influential band of the 1990s. Smells like Teen Spirit changed the rock scene. Nevermind is an excellent album. I thought In Utero was kick ass as well. Rape Me is a severely underrated song. The Grunge Scene died with Kurt Cobain.

One band not mentioned is Hole--a severely underrated girl band. Somewhat sugary at times, however, the band rocks out too. Still, however hard they do rock out, there's still Courtney Love--the killer of Lollapalooza (remember this concert?). Teen angst flows free with the lyrics and the music is a little too adolescent for some. I still think that Hole's music kicks ass at times.

Still, if you're going for the most talented rock band to ever hail from the Jet City--it is Queensryche. Hair or no hair.

My vote for the best rock band to come out of Seattle is Queensryche.  If you did see the "Empire" tour in the early 1990s, then you would know why.  They played the entire "Operation Mindcrime" CD in its entirity.  Geoff Tate is the vocalist from hell.  Chris De Garma is an excellent guitarist.  Eddie Jackson was picked the "Best Bassist of the Rock World" for 5 years straight.  Seeing them live is like watching a really good movie.

My only question for Pearl Jam is "where the f**k did all that edge go off to"???  It's like Eddie Vedder got his nuts chopped off in between the recordings of 10 and Verses.

That's why Queensryche gets my vote--sure they may suck now--but for 15 years, Queensryche ruled that town.  That's why the 'Rychers get my vote.

Ackley1,

How is Soundgarden sell-outs??? ARE you kidding me???

If you're like most fans, then all you've heard from Soundgarden is "Black Hole Son" or "Black Days" or whatever's crap has been played on the radio.

Go back further and listen to earlier Soundgarden. Listen to "Rusty Cage" or "Heretic". That stuff was good and it was nothing like the sell-out stuff. Ackley1, when you sell-out, it means that you make songs for radio air/popularity. That's exactly what Soundgarden did. Same goes for Pearl Jam.

And somebody needs to tell me what's wrong with Queensryche. Has anyone on this board ever heard Operation Mindcrime or Rage For Order in it's entirity??? No Band on this poll has ever had a concept album. Queensryche has had 2. Geoff Tate was voted best vocalist for 10 years in starting from 1984-1993.

It's not like these other bands didn't kick ass at one point--Alice in Chains on Dirt really kicked ass. Facelift was a wayyyyy underrated album. However, I refuse to vote for a band that for one entire album the lyrics were as follows: "YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!!". Jerry Cantrell is a very underrated guitarist.

Pearl Jam's 10 was probably the best album out of these 4 bands. They were edgy. Then somewhere along the line of taking on Ticketmaster and getting rich, they mellowed. Everything from Verses on has completely been trash. I don't get the legend status of Eddie Vedder. It's as overrated as making Eric Clapton a Living Legend.

Nirvana changed the face of music forever. Nirvana is clearly the most influential band of the 1990s. Smells like Teen Spirit changed the rock scene. Nevermind is an excellent album. I thought In Utero was kick ass as well. Rape Me is a severely underrated song. The Grunge Scene died with Kurt Cobain.

One band not mentioned is Hole--a severely underrated girl band. Somewhat sugary at times, however, the band rocks out too. Still, however hard they do rock out, there's still Courtney Love--the killer of Lollapalooza (remember this concert?). Teen angst flows free with the lyrics and the music is a little too adolescent for some. I still think that Hole's music kicks ass at times.

Still, if you're going for the most talented rock band to ever hail from the Jet City--it is Queensryche. Hair or no hair.

If that defines a sell out than all of those bands are sell outs, including your beloved Queensryche. A sell out is someone who changes their music in order to get play time. In most cases these bands try to soften their music, or write ballads to boos their sell.

Bands like Metalica, Incubus, and Greenday amongst others. Those bands are sellouts. Soundgarden never changed their style of music, nor did any of the other bands from Seattle. Also Barbarian, Ten is not even the best album put out by Pearl Jam, unless you don't get tired of hearing the s**t on the radio all of the time. I would have to say Vitalogy. What about Jar of Flies, Bleach Down on The Upside, and Badmoterfinger? :o

Bands like Metalica, Incubus, and Greenday amongst others.

How is Metallica a sell out?

Their newer stuff coming out rocks.. the problem is that the maturity level they've put out has out reached the listening audience. Have you heard St. Anger? It's their heaviest album to date. Mostly heavy C (some A and B+) chords with a lot of double bass drums...

How is Metallica a sell out?

Nothing Else Matters....

They made a power ballad. :o

They stopped making ten minute mini epics and instead started writing 4 minute radio songs....

But! I don't care...That's the excuses that people give for saying they sold out...Maybe they did sell out for a few albums...But those albums made them heaps of money so know they can do whatever they want, the herds, I mean masses will still buy it, they live comfortably making the music they want to make now, were as before they made a living but would have reached a point were they would have faded into obscurity.

What does it mean to sell out? I'd say any artist that signed a contract to make music with a major label is a sell out...aren't they trying to make living? The bills gotta be paid. Besides the record labels decide who is gonna get played. The record labels decided it was Metallica's turn. Do you think the rubbish on the radio get's picked by some guy in a room full of CD's? Hell no, the record labels pay radio stations to play certain songs, the record labels chooses who makes it, and who doesn't make it. Why do you think file sharing scares them? It's not "lost" record sales...It's people finding different music that they don't want to pimp. The record labels lose control they don't like that so they litigate.

Record labels piss me off.

Sorry about the little tangent

Nothing Else Matters....

They made a power ballad. 

They stopped making ten minute mini epics and instead started writing 4 minute radio songs....

Let me ask you a question.. if you were working the same job for 10+ years, wouldn't you want to change a few aspects in it? Or would you want the same repetitive stuff every year and every day in your life? Wouldn't you want to try a few things that may "go against the grain" to feel a little progressive in your life?

I've respected Metallica more for their desire to try new things and moving on past the speed, outplayed, epic-ital metal they used to play. I'm the biggest Metallica fan here -- I will not be second to anyone on this issue. I think that the whole negative mainstream argument became parallel with Metallica's desire to change things around a little.

But everything else you said is on the money Kev. :lol:

Nothing Else Matters....

They made a power ballad. 

Let me ask you a question.. if you were working the same job for 10+ years, wouldn't you want to change a few aspects in it? Or would you want the same repetitive stuff every year and every day in your life? Wouldn't you want to try a few things that may "go against the grain" to feel a little progressive in your life?

I've respected Metallica more for their desire to try new things and moving on past the speed, outplayed, epic-ital metal they used to play. I'm the biggest Metallica fan here -- I will not be second to anyone on this issue. I think that the whole negative mainstream argument became parallel with Metallica's desire to change things around a little.

You're right, bands do need to change their music as they go on or they'll get left behind. Metallica never would have gotten close to where they are today if they didn't change it up.

I actually liked Load, and Reload was alright, but St Anger SUCKED. The music was pretty good but the lyrics sucked! So maybe they didn't sell out, but their music has just progressively gotten worse.... I think. There are some bands(Incubus) that turn into pig vaginas to draw in the female crowd. If their not sell outs I don't know who is. Also, I'm still bitter about Newsted leaving the band. :angry:

Hey I'm with you Josh...I was just saying what other people say.

Besides, I dig the power ballads :D

Also, I'm still bitter about Newsted leaving the band. :angry:

What did you expect? I mean was he even in And Justice for All??? I mean come on...I picked up the Bass Tab book for AJFA and it was blank!

Well not really but you get the idea.

I was more pissed about that than anything in ages. This ole Bass player didn't appreciate it, not one damn bit.

Jason Rocked and he was always treated like the bastard child of Metallica.

:angry:

I actually liked Load, and Reload was alright, but St Anger SUCKED. The music was pretty good but the lyrics sucked!

OK. I see your point and agree.. it's definitely not the lyrics they used to put out.. also, I miss those Kirk solos every once in awhile.

So maybe they didn't sell out, but their music has just progressively gotten worse....

I think it's only gotten worse to those that expected WAY too much from them.. they out did themselves in Master and Justice. Anything after that, is definitely less than they've put out. Hell, until a few years back, I've been anti-any thing with Metallica before the black album. Then I said the hell with it... got my herbal medicine out and listened to everything Black Album and on. Of course, it took a few days. But I must say, Bleeding Me is one of their best songs and this is coming from a fan since the Kill 'em All days. I don't like it because it's always on the radio, but the progression in their music is great. It starts off clean and slow, builds, then builds, then you have a great Kirk solo (what isn't a great kirk solo) and then you bring it back down all the while staying true to musical progressions.

Anyway, I just love s**t they put out not because of their name, but because what they've done to music and the evolution they continue to embrace which is far different than most groups out there (99% of them) that put stuff out just to make money -- they've got plenty of it anyway.

Kev - I just love hard rock / heavy metal music mainstream or not.. if it has a crunching want to bang your head and kick some ass sound to it; I'm there!

Metallica RULEZ! B)