Marvin Lewis Press Conference

Pidge

Marvin and Mike were both subdued. No crying. Mike was saying what a nice person Slim was and how the media image of him didn't mirror the thoughts or perceptions of those who knew him. Marvin talked about how hard he'd worked off the field and how he was making an effort not previously seen to improve his game as well.

Took questions about how the team moves on and plays a game etc. Quite a short PC - it felt like it was a case of "what the hell can you can you say right now?" Crappy situation.

No doubt you'll see Chad's interview when you get back from work. He's really cut up about it, no doubt echoing the sentiments in the locker room.

It doesn't. They are professional players etc. Difficult circumstances and the usual. Try to carry on as normally as possible.

Not to be contradictory but I think it will have an effect. I don't see how it couldn't have an effect. Even professionals have to deal with their emotions. Now whether this causes them to play flat with his loss in the back of their minds or whether it puts a fire in their bellies to win for him (ala Zimmer's terrible loss) I don't know. Regardless though, these tragedies serve as a reminder that there are men behind those face masks.

I meant to say that was the attitude Marvin and the staff hope prevails in the PC. Naturally there will be disruption (to use a wholly inappropriately sounding word).

Win or lose, just get through the weekend and then give Slim a good send off next week. Not sure anybody will really give a s**t about the outcome of the game. I know I don't and I didn't know him personally.

I meant to say that was the attitude Marvin and the staff hope prevails in the PC. Naturally there will be disruption (to use a wholly inappropriately sounding word).

Win or lose, just get through the weekend and then give Slim a good send off next week. Not sure anybody will really give a s**t about the outcome of the game. I know I don't and I didn't know him personally.

Indeed, I agree whole heartedly. As much as I love football and don't want to see one of our precious few winning seasons get derailed, there are more important things than handegg at the end of the day. We can only hope for the best possible outcome given the situation. I'm certain the team will deal with the bad while hoping for the good.

So how does this affect Sunday?

We'll find out then. Coming as this does on the heels of Vikki Zimmer's death, nothing would surprise me. How do you deal with this twice in a single year? I can't imagine what the players must be going through.

All I do know is this: I never thought I would say anything like this when the Bengals were 9-4 and on the cusp of an AFCN championship, but this season now officially sucks. Even during the Nineties, when the Bengals couldn't buy a win, a successful first round pick or even a pack of gum, at least it was just a badly played game. Nobody died.

Worst. Season. Ever.

So how does this affect Sunday?

We'll find out then. Coming as this does on the heels of Vikki Zimmer's death, nothing would surprise me. How do you deal with this twice in a single year? I can't imagine what the players must be going through.

All I do know is this: I never thought I would say anything like this when the Bengals were 9-4 and on the cusp of an AFCN championship, but this season now officially sucks. Even during the Nineties, when the Bengals couldn't buy a win, a successful first round pick or even a pack of gum, at least it was just a badly played game. Nobody died.

Worst. Season. Ever.

Agreed. And that's a sad thing. This entire team busted its hump, Slim included, to turn last year's disaster around for themselves and us fans. Now, even if they won the Super Bowl, this is what this season will always be remembered for. As we said about the nineties, this decade can't end soon enough for this team.

Worst season ever?

No. Life sometimes intervenes in the play, and what is instructive in the pain is how the team deals with it. I am proud of how they came together for Mike Zimmer and am guessing they will make me simiarly proud with how they deal with Henry's loss.

What would have made it the worst season ever? If they the tragedies had shown them to be loners who didn't care about each other. Instead, they have shown them to be family in the best sense of that word.

The tragedies have been unspeakably awful. How they have dealt with the sadness has been praiseworthy. The season is what it is. I am glad for the ride, still.

It doesn't. They are professional players etc. Difficult circumstances and the usual. Try to carry on as normally as possible.

Not to be contradictory but I think it will have an effect. I don't see how it couldn't have an effect. Even professionals have to deal with their emotions. Now whether this causes them to play flat with his loss in the back of their minds or whether it puts a fire in their bellies to win for him (ala Zimmer's terrible loss) I don't know. Regardless though, these tragedies serve as a reminder that there are men behind those face masks.

That's a good point. I think that more that motivation, dealing with this loss will help the players keep things in perspective. Life and football. I feel as if they will be more focused than usual. Determined to honor their friend with how they play more than just getting the win.

It sounds pretty sh*tty to even talk about the game right now, but this is what these guys love to do. The game will be able for them to express themselves and sort of mourn through football and each other.

I'm sure they'll leave it out on the field and play a solid game. Maybe they win, maybe they lose. Either way, they'll give a focused effort for Chris.

They'll play a game, it might not be exactly their first thought but they'll play the game and they'll play hard. Slim no longer has that opportunity (waits for HoF to say he never played hard :D ) so just go out and do your level best guys. Regardless of the outcome, nothing more can be asked.