Watched NFL Network and it makes more sense

walzav29

It's good news and bad news. The reason Palmer couldn't do anything is they were rushing 4 and dropping 7 in to coverage. The type of backs that were available Ced and LJ are pounders, but thats the big fat Williams game. B. Scott would have really came in handy. It wasn't Palmer that was the problem. It was the offensive line. It's on NFL Network. They'll replay Playbook tonight. The O-Line got man-handled! I'd be curious what some outside speed would do to them.

The pass protection was much improved in the second half. Palmer had time to throw very consistently after about the midpoint of the second quarter. Still, nothing was clicking and that's on the receivers. If Minnesota constantly employed such a basic defensive principle to stall the Bengals and they weren't able to adjust, credit the Vikings and shun the Bengals. But it wasn't all the offensive line.

I don't even think Palmer misfired very often. The bad throw to Quan is all I recall. He threw behind Chad once too, but that was to avoid Cedric Griffin.

I mentioned this in another post, but how the heck is the o-line supposed to gel or have any consitancy in it when they are always swappin players in and out. I dont get it, Mathis is healthy now please put him back in at G, and get Livings out. Find a RT and stick with him quite putting guys in for a quarter then taking them out, i dont get what they are trying to do. Same thing with the G postion find somebody and leave them in!

Only time i wanna see guys come in and out is on there jumbo package.

I mentioned this in another post, but how the heck is the o-line supposed to gel or have any consitancy in it when they are always swappin players in and out. I dont get it, Mathis is healthy now please put him back in at G, and get Livings out. Find a RT and stick with him quite putting guys in for a quarter then taking them out, i dont get what they are trying to do. Same thing with the G postion find somebody and leave them in!

A few weeks back Marvin said how they have used the frequent substitution as a way to keep more guys involved in the offense. As many as 16 to 18 guys are considered "starters" by the staff and the thought is that having more guys involved gives them motivation to stay sharp and do all the little things that the starters do to stay prepared. Also in cases of injury they are able to swap guys in and out as required with little dropoff. However that is probably one of the reasons for all of the false starts, etc.

As for the Vikings tactic, I did notice a few times where they had 6 or 7 at the line pre-snap and then dropped back like crazy and flooded the field with LBs and DBs. They seemed to get enough pressure with four that they didn't really need to blitz. So that's why I kept asking why they abandoned the run so quickly (or so it seems). I think Benson had 41 yards on 10 carries and may have had one or two called back because of penalties early in the game. The game was close until we gave up that play near the end of the half. Even then it was only 16-7. Still plenty of time at that point. But it is obvious that they miss Henry and that Coles provides very little at this point.

Throw in a few key third down conversions by Favre and that was basically the game.

A few weeks back Marvin said how they have used the frequent substitution as a way to keep more guys involved in the offense. As many as 16 to 18 guys are considered "starters" by the staff and the thought is that having more guys involved gives them motivation to stay sharp and do all the little things that the starters do to stay prepared. Also in cases of injury they are able to swap guys in and out as required with little dropoff. However that is probably one of the reasons for all of the false starts, etc.

As for the Vikings tactic, I did notice a few times where they had 6 or 7 at the line pre-snap and then dropped back like crazy and flooded the field with LBs and DBs. They seemed to get enough pressure with four that they didn't really need to blitz. So that's why I kept asking why they abandoned the run so quickly (or so it seems). I think Benson had 41 yards on 10 carries and may have had one or two called back because of penalties early in the game. The game was close until we gave up that play near the end of the half. Even then it was only 16-7. Still plenty of time at that point. But it is obvious that they miss Henry and that Coles provides very little at this point.

Throw in a few key third down conversions by Favre and that was basically the game.

Thats my point how can they get any type of consistancy from an o-line when they keep subbin guys in and out. Just when one player is starting to do well they take him out for the next guy. I agree this is probably the reason for the false starts. Does this not concern anybody else, maybe they dont have time to gel like a real o-line.

U think we're rushing Smith? I mean if they're waiting on Simpson to master every aspect in the passing game, why throw Smith in when he's not ready? His critical error could get Palmer killed. How bad could Simpson's be?

Agreed. Give the man a chance! :bengal:

I don't know that swapping the offensive lineman in and out are the cause of the penalties. Most of the time, the false starts are not called on the lineman they're swapping. They're called on Bobbie, Andrew, or Chad.

I agree that I would like to see Simpson in there just to see what he could do. It can't hurt at this point. The passing attack can't really get much worse.

I also agree with Marvin from the point that swapping those guys out keeps them more involved, and thus more motivated. It's a good tactic, I think.

Put me on record, not that it matters what I think, of course, that swapping lineman is a less than optimal idea. If Mathis is good to go, give him his spot back. Pick a RT and be done with it. Let them gel. I do think some of the unevenness in the line play of late has been too much shuffling.

Here's Munoz and Madden's take on the Bengals passing game:

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091215/SPT02/912160369/1062/SPT/Munoz++Madden+like+Bengals++chances

John Madden thinks the Bengals have "as good a chance as anybody" to make it to the Super Bowl, because once the playoffs start, "everybody has a shot."

"A year ago, who had the Arizona Cardinals (going to the Super Bowl)?" Madden asked.

However, both Madden and former Bengals great Anthony Munoz ("my man in charge," Madden calls him) believe the Bengals chances would be greatly enhanced if their passing game improved.

Munoz isn't buying the opinion voiced in some quarters that Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer is nursing a less than 100 percent throwing arm.

"I'm seen him make that 'out' throw (this season) like not too many guys can make it," Munoz said. "He's had plenty of zip and velocity on it ... Sometimes, though, when he takes (a full dropback), he's not getting the time (to throw the long ball). He's been hit quite a bit (this year). It (pass protection) has been inconsistent."

Lack of time might be as much of a problem as receivers who are perceived as not getting open, he said.

Give Palmer the time that some quarterbacks get, and he'll find the open man, Munoz said.

The former left tackle knows from experience that pass blocking is more athletically challenging than run blocking.

"My experience was that if you could pass block" as a line, the run blocking would take care of itself, Munoz said.

But just because you can run-block doesn't mean you can pass block. Some injuries in the offensive line have probably hindered consistency, he said.

He praised the Bengals line as a good run-blocking unit.

Madden did the same. He also praised the TV work of former Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth, who replaced him on "Sunday Night Football."

"You can tell he's putting the same amount of work into broadcasting he put into being such a fine player," Madden said.

"My experience was that if you could pass block" as a line, the run blocking would take care of itself, Munoz said.

I disagree with him there. I can think of excellent pass blocking lines that couldn't run block worth a hoot. The Dan Marino led Miami Dolphins come to mind. That line, led by Richmond Webb at LT knew how to give Marino a pocket but they were worthless trying to blow anyone off the line