Chad takes Steeler fan on shopping spree!

BengalszoneBilly

All for answering a tweet? :o

Ochocinco takes fan who answered tweet on shopping spree

Sunday, November 15, 2009

By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"Hotel manager name is Jesse, first person to say my name Ocho Cinco to Jesse at the Marriot we about to act a donkey in the mall."

That simple message -- complete with spelling, grammar and punctuation flexibility -- set off a storm of excitement last night at the Marriott City Center in Pittsburgh after it was posted by Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco on Twitter, the blogging service that allows users to communicate in brief messages, or "tweets."

More than 50 people turned up at the hotel. Many more called the front desk to ask to speak to "Jesse," hoping for a chance at a shopping spree paid for by the athlete formerly known as Chad Johnson.

Mr. Ochocinco is known for outrageous antics that have generated lots of publicity -- and a number of NFL fines -- through his career. In the past week alone he was fined $20,000 for brandishing a dollar bill at an official during a replay review against Baltimore. He also earned a rebuke from his coach after he posted on Twitter that he would send mustard to the Steelers' defensive backs because they couldn't "ketch up" with him today at Heinz Field. He also promised to put on a celebration to earn another fine.

Last night, he tweeted the invitation to go shopping at the Monroeville Mall.

"Jesse" is Jesse Staiger, 30, of Glenshaw, one of the hotel's shift managers, who until yesterday had never met Mr. Ochocinco.

Mr. Staiger said he learned of the gimmick through a phone call at the hotel shortly after the item was posted to Mr. Ochocinco's followers via his verified Twitter account at about 4:30 p.m. Within 15 minutes, David Anderson, 22, of North Point Breeze, walked up to the front desk and asked for "Jesse."

"We're still getting calls," Mr. Staiger said about six hours later. "They've had to start telling people I'm gone for the day."

Mr. Anderson couldn't be reached. But from the later postings on Twitter, and a photograph that was added, it appeared everyone in the party had a good time. "I thought it was pretty neat," said Mr. Staiger, who vowed to remain a Steelers fan. "It was all in fun."

1dzkmf.jpg

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09319/1013709-66.stm#ixzz0WwxSqpJU

I know many people on this board have had thier issues with OC in the past. Outside of his on field antics which I totally agree with...this is a game and your to have fun....We hear too many times that what he does for the game is horrible...he is having fun and that is one his way to another pro bowl year..

A few weeks back he invited anybody who wanted to meet him at j. alexanders for dinner....and people showed up and he paid the bill....he is a good guy deep down....he is my favorite bengal, it was palmer until this year....but Chad has really earned my respect...

I know many people on this board have had thier issues with OC in the past. Outside of his on field antics which I totally agree with...this is a game and your to have fun....We hear too many times that what he does for the game is horrible...he is having fun and that is one his way to another pro bowl year..

A few weeks back he invited anybody who wanted to meet him at j. alexanders for dinner....and people showed up and he paid the bill....he is a good guy deep down....he is my favorite bengal, it was palmer until this year....but Chad has really earned my respect...

I totally respect your opinion. It was well thought out, well written and not unreasonable.

He's still a douche.

I totally respect your opinion. It was well thought out, well written and not unreasonable.

He's still a douche.

He is doing all the "right" things at this point (to make up for last year, we all sulk over something at some point.. his was last year) He'll take you to the movies, buy you dinner, buy tickets, etc...

We can judge him all we want now... but the real time to judge him is coming up when his contract expires... If he just up's and leaves then yes.. he is... but if he stays... keeps doing all the stuff he has been doing this year and winning... He'll be one of the best Bengals to EVER put on a uniform.

He's still a douche.

He is doing all the "right" things at this point (to make up for last year, we all sulk over something at some point.. his was last year) He'll take you to the movies, buy you dinner, buy tickets, etc...

We can judge him all we want now... but the real time to judge him is coming up when his contract expires... If he just up's and leaves then yes.. he is... but if he stays... keeps doing all the stuff he has been doing this year and winning... He'll be one of the best Bengals to EVER put on a uniform.

Not debating that point. Lot of great players were/are douches. Fredo's one of them. Just keep catching some balls and scoring some points.

I don't really care anymore. We have nice WRs and a great QB and the ability to stretch the field but whatever antics, benevolent or malevolent, Chad gets involved in matter not. We're a running team with a damn good D (and it will only get better in the next couple of yrs) and so they are largely peripheral.

Keep on keeping on Chad.

lol Chad Johnson is a character.

I like how the guy brings personality to the game. I don't understand how so many of you still hate the guy for wanting out when it looked like a lost cause.

That one is simple. You can't relate because you're a Steelers fan, but many of us that dislike the guy are long-suffering Bengals' fans. We never wanted out when it looked like a lost cause, so we don't accept it from one of our players.

I couldn't have said it better myself - this is a game, and Chad at least recognizes that. Is he a ridiculously egomaniacal, narcissistic, insecure, attention-hound? Absolutely. But I, too, think he's fundamentally a good person and more athletes should follow his lead and get closer to the fans - because we're the real people paying their insanely overinflated salaries.

Not to mention, when he's at his best (which is now), I'd take him over any WR in the NFL hands down. Being a run-first, D-oriented team is great. But it's hard to run with 8-9 in the box, and Chad opens it up for the running game and other receivers all day. He's drawing 2, sometimes 3, defenders 75-90% of the time. Keep at it, mr. rubber-ankled (cbs announcer's words, not mine) black mexican dancing sensation. Games, after all, are supposed to be fun (and they're way more fun for me when we win - so that's two birds with one WR).

He's still a douche.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I forget who said it yesterday (Shannon Sharpe maybe?)... but he took a second and told Chad something like: "Alright. The Bengals are good now. You have our attention, so you don't have to pull stunts like you did when the Bengals were bad. Just go play winning football."

Sound advice.

I don't often agree with Shannon Sharpe, but I do here. He's right. They're now in the second seed position in the AFC. They need to focus and stay there and get that first round bye. And part of that means 85 not bringing distractions.

He's still a douche.

Not debating that point. Lot of great players were/are douches. Fredo's one of them. Just keep catching some balls and scoring some points.

Seriously dude drop it. We're on our way to the playoffs and you're still bashing our #1 WR. Who's the douch here? Just sayin...

He's still a douche.

Seriously dude drop it. We're on our way to the playoffs and you're still bashing our #1 WR. Who's the douch here? Just sayin...

agiz, don't start with me. I didn't bash anyone. Fredo's a douche, but yes he's our current #1 WR. What do you want from me? You want to bump into my head down there kissing his butt with you? Ain't gonna happen.

He's still a douche.

Who's the douch here? Just sayin...

Well, you keep picking this fight with me for no apparent reason, so, to answer your question...

Just saying'.

I don't understand how so many of you still hate the guy for wanting out when it looked like a lost cause.

Is Jerome Simpson still a Bengal?

Because let's face it, Simpson wouldn't have been drafted by this team if Chad hadn't been pulling his act.

Damn, Hair. You absolutely nailed it. Maybe that's why I, and many others, was never enamoured with the pick. It was made under duress.

Oh my Lord, so you are saying that Chad's antics in essence caused us to waste a draft pick?

That just can't be, my good man - because Agreen, who plays SEMI PRO BALL and therefore knows more about football than all of the rest of us combined, has already explained to us that Chad's antics have HELPED the team rather than HURT it.

Umm...mikey and whoever else picked jerome are entirely responsible for that stupid draft pick. I'll concede that Chad's antics (but more likely TJ's antics, and impending free-agency) may have caused us to draft a WR. But I highly doubt if we'd have picked DeSean Jackson anyone here would be complaining too much. That decision is on management and management alone.

Oh, and if we hadn't been going heavy on receivers, perhaps a couple season-changing touchdown catches by a certain clutch receiver named Caldwell may never have happened? Just a guess.

Umm...mikey and whoever else picked jerome are entirely responsible for that stupid draft pick.

Bulls**t. In fact, let's see what you have to say on the matter....only one sentence later.

I'll concede that Chad's antics (but more likely TJ's antics, and impending free-agency) may have caused us to draft a WR.

Yup, you instantly contradict yourself. Furthermore, by including Chad's loyal sidekick into the mix you imply the need/threat was effectively doubled.

But I highly doubt if we'd have picked DeSean Jackson anyone here would be complaining too much.

He's a better player, but that sort of misses the point, doesn't it? So scroll back to the bit where you concede Chad's antics are at least partially responsible for the Bengals decision to draft potential replacements. Now consider how the team ignored other needs by drafting....(wait for it)....three wideouts.

That decision is on management and management alone.

Again, bulls**t. Chad spent months attempting to force a trade upon the Bengals and threatened to sit out the season if his trade and contract demands weren't met. Furthermore, he has since admitted he didn't spend a single day preparing for last season. Finally, he admits tanking the season. And not only are you willing to give the clown a full pardon for his actions...you're willing to blame the team for doing the type of things it felt it needed to do to protect itself should Chad decide to tank this season as well?

There's a reason an inactive Jerome Simposon is on this teams roster, and if you can't figure it out you must be as stupid as your namesake.

Umm...mikey and whoever else picked jerome are entirely responsible for that stupid draft pick.

Bulls**t. In fact, let's see what you have to say on the matter....only one sentence later.

I'll concede that Chad's antics (but more likely TJ's antics, and impending free-agency) may have caused us to draft a WR.

Yup, you instantly contradict yourself. Furthermore, by including Chad's loyal sidekick into the mix you imply the need/threat was effectively doubled.

But I highly doubt if we'd have picked DeSean Jackson anyone here would be complaining too much.

He's a better player, but that sort of misses the point, doesn't it? So scroll back to the bit where you concede Chad's antics are at least partially responsible for the Bengals decision to draft potential replacements. Now consider how the team ignored other needs by drafting....(wait for it)....three wideouts.

Again, bulls**t. Chad spent months attempting to force a trade upon the Bengals and threatened to sit out the season if his trade and contract demands weren't met. Furthermore, he has since admitted he didn't spend a single day preparing for last season. Finally, he admits tanking the season. And not only are you willing to give the clown a full pardon for his actions...you're willing to blame the team for doing the type of things it felt it needed to do to protect itself should Chad decide to tank this season as well?

There's a reason an inactive Jerome Simposon is on this teams roster, and if you can't figure it out you must be as stupid as your namesake.

This always makes me feel like I havent showered in two weeks and have been paying for sex with cheap whores everyday of those two weeks to boot,

but HOF makes alot of sense right there.

This always makes me feel like I havent showered in two weeks and have been paying for sex with cheap whores everyday of those two weeks to boot,

but HOF makes alot of sense right there.

I've butted heads with Hair like everyone else, but he has his moments, absolutely.

Hmm...I notice you don't mention anything about the Caldwell comment here. And I'm not contradicting myself in the slightest, however vitriolic you want to be about this. In fact, I'm conceding your point - Chad's antics contributed to our drafting heavy on wideouts. That much is undisputed, though it's pretty clear TJ is in that category as well and I don't see how that can be argued. My point is that Chad had nothing to do with reaching on a dumb pick at WR, when there were good ones available. An inactive Simpson is on the team's roster because, in picking heavy on wideouts admittedly in part due to Chad, we made a stupid decision and took measurables over production. That's mikey, and you know it. You also know you'd be perfectly happy to have DeSean Jackson here, and that you're pretty darn happy Caldwell is here. So what's the freakin problem? I'm conceding your point - you're right - chad's antics caused us to have to lean heavy on WR. That may have been bad or may have been good in the end. Had we picked Jackson and Caldwell...I'd say decidedly good. What we did do, reaching for Jerome and then picking Caldwell, has been arguably a wash, but also arguably pretty decent considering Caldwell's contributions as far as chemistry, work ethic, and some pretty big plays I'll bet you were cheering for. I don't worship Chad. I realize he's crazy. But I also realize this is just a game, he's a very good WR, and I'm just perplexed by this desire on the part of some folks here to hold an ex-girlfriend's kind of grudge just because he felt the same damn way we all did.

Someone will undoubtedly pick this apart, probably relying heavily on the final sentence of that first paragraph, but let me just make the main point clear again to avoid any confusion: YES: Chad's antics in part forced us to pick heavy on WR. They did not force us to make a dumb decision in reaching to draft an unproven prospect with "big hands" in Jerome. And I, for one, am ok with the end result because we got Caldwell - and both Caldwell and Chad are giving me a great year on Sundays.

because he felt the same damn way we all did.

None of us wanted to go root for another team because of the losing. Aside from that, he was part of the problem to begin with.

This year he seems to be part of the team and the only problem I have with him this year is mailing care packages to the opposing teams. It's juvenile and can end up giving the other side extra motivation.

Where I run into problems here is when a certain someone tries to act like Chad did nothing wrong last year and in fact credits what he didn't do wrong last year to this year's success.