Collins.....

Kazkal

There was Dennis Roland promoted to right tackle in the third series and fending off Pro Bowler Terrell Suggs for no sacks on a day the Ravens had just one sack. There was Caldwell’s second winning catch in the last 22 seconds against the teams in last year’s AFC title game and Cedric Benson’s 27 carries for 120 yards extended the Bengals record to 24-1 under Lewis when a runner carries at least 25 times.

I know he a mid round pick and it's only his 2nd yr but how many mid round tackles go onto to become 10 yr starters at tackle? He's had a rough time this season.

With Bobby getting near to being put out to pasture does his future lie at the guard position? Being largely ignorant about the dark art of line play, and most other things for that matter, does he have the skills, size etc to be a solid guard?

He seemed to be a stop-gap solution at RT from the beginning, and from what I've heard Roland filled in for him and did a good job. Even if he was gonna play over Roland, we should have a first rounder coming in and filling that role pretty soon anyway. As far as him playing guard, I don't know if he has the sheer power to drive people out and run block at guard. I think his biggest asset is that he's a decently quick guy, but he hasn't been run blocking very well. He is a good player, but I feel like after Bobbie eventually retires or is replaced, then we might actually be in a good situation because we might be forced to go out and draft a better guard.

I know he a mid round pick and it's only his 2nd yr but how many mid round tackles go onto to become 10 yr starters at tackle? He's had a rough time this season.

With Bobby getting near to being put out to pasture does his future lie at the guard position? Being largely ignorant about the dark art of line play, and most other things for that matter, does he have the skills, size etc to be a solid guard?

When we are 4 and 1 and our RB is leading the league in rushing I am not going to complain. I am however looking forward to Andre Smith taking his place on the right side of our Oline. We will have two good backup tackles at that point which is always a good thing.

Thanks for your replies. Interesting about his power NJ29. I guess the important for him is to have quick feet as opposed to out and out power as a tackle.

I kind of hope we go O-line in the 1st or 2nd rnd next yr, unless there's a stud to be had in FA. Whether that's at G or T I dunno.

And yes NSIOY, I mentioned the very same thing last night. We still have Smith to come in at RT. All round goodness.

A lot of depends on scheme. Some team prefer to have quicker guards because they pull guys a lot, but I don't see us pulling very often. Obviously there is some pulling, fold blocking and trapping going on, but a lot of bigger, slower guys can pull that type of movement off in a small area.

Yeah, I really hope, and all the signs are there so far, that we're turning into a stout D, strong running game that controls games team. I guess you'd need pretty substantial guards in that system. Like Whit.

The Whit thing is an interesting thought. I think if we plan on picking up another lineman in the draft, the best path might be to pick up a starting caliber left tackle early on and move Whit to left guard. I feel like that's his best position anyway.

Made a thread last night about him being benched glad it happened the guy just wasn't good RT...

I say move him back to being Backup LT and leave him there...Let Roland & Andre handle the right.

The Whit thing is an interesting thought. I think if we plan on picking up another lineman in the draft, the best path might be to pick up a starting caliber left tackle early on and move Whit to left guard. I feel like that's his best position anyway.

Why though? the left side of our Oline has been playing great I'd rather just resign Mathis (with cook) & then draft a Right Guard to replace Bobbie (Unless we can find someone already on team \cough shirly or Rolland)

PS,Roland replaced Collins in the 3rd series and remained in for rest of game...hopefully he starts until Andre is ready.

Made a thread last night about him being benched glad it happened the guy just wasn't good RT...

I say move him back to being Backup LT and leave him there...Let Roland & Andre handle the right.

Why though? the left side of our Oline has been playing great I'd rather just resign Mathis (with cook) & then draft a Right Guard to replace Bobbie (Unless we can find someone already on team \cough shirly or Rolland)

PS,Roland replaced Collins in the 3rd series and remained in for rest of game...hopefully he starts until Andre is ready.

I agree with the Whit thing, but its hard to argue the way we are playing!

I heard about Roland replacing Collins in the 3rd series and also hope he starts until Andre Smith is ready.

Saw he was in there and wondered if Collins might have been hurt. Roland looked very good on the final drive, while watching al the highlights on the TV, so maybe he will be starting from here on out. He is devloping his kick-step udring pass protection and looks very mobile and sharp. Guy has arms as long as I am tall.

When Andre is ready, I think they will ease him in. No sense disrupting the line play just to get him some snaps. I would need to be convinced he is better than who is on the field. Given the running game is where things are reallt clicking, adding him to the right on running plays makes the most sense. Andre will seriously need to prove he can lock-down the right side on pas plays to warrant moving Roland off the field at this point.

Mathis has played really well, too. Now we all know why he started in Carolina. He is quietly shutting down the middle with Cook and also getting the outside sealed for Benson on those runs over Left tackle.

I think this line is shaping up nicely. These ar some big fellas and Carson is slowly getting more confident.

But I thought everyone was ready to give Collins a shot at LT... you know, because he's so awesome.

I hope Roland stays at RT until Andre Smith is ready, and Collins is a way better LT than he is a RT!

Well, I'll give you that he's not a good run blocker... so that means he's not a good RT. He's also given up nearly half of Palmers sacks this season. You really want him on an island against the best pass rushers on Palmer's blindside?

Seems to me that he's not really cut out to play OT on either side. At least not as a starter.

But I thought everyone was ready to give Collins a shot at LT... you know, because he's so awesome.

I hope Roland stays at RT until Andre Smith is ready, and Collins is a way better LT than he is a RT!

Seems to me that he's not really cut out to play OT on either side. At least not as a starter.

That's the way it seems to me too. Last season, well, our expectations were much much lower all round. This yr, on this team, he isn't a starting tackle. For now anyway. He was a mid round pick and so obviously he needed imrpovments in his game. Hopefully they coach him up to be a good backup OT.

Maybe a general backup lineman if he has the tools to be a guard in an effective running line as well.

But for right now, go with Roland etc.

All I know is that we are seeing why Paul Alexander is considered one of the elite offenisive line coaches in th NFL by people around the league.

We have an undrafted free agent starting at C (Cook)who had never even taken a real snap in the NFL. An undrafted free agent that we picked up off the street playing at RT (Roland), splitting time with a second year player who was a middle round draft pick (Collins). We were starting another undrafted free agaent at LG with almost no experience (Livings) until he was replaced by another guy we picked up off the street who hasn't started an NFL game in several years who people on this board wanted to cut in favor of keeping Jason Shirley (Mathis). We have a starting LT who is supposedly too slow-footed to play the position, can't handle speed-rushers, and is better suited to play G or RT according to some. And we have a RG who was considered a 2nd round bust when he was in Philly.

All I know is that we are seeing why Paul Alexander is considered one of the elite offenisive line coaches in th NFL by people around the league. We have an undrafted free agent starting at C...an undrafted free agent that we picked up off the street...

And just think, that's before we have Jason Shirley and Tab Perry starting next year!

I finally got my wish of Roland starting, ive been calling for this since the preseason. He played great, and right now i would not even mess with the o-line at all, Whit and Mathis are playing some of the best football i have seen the o-line do. Cook has been great at Center calling out protections for Palmer, and Williams has always been solid. Why change anything, leave it the way it is, and with Roland in there i like the run game.

I finally got my wish of Roland starting, ive been calling for this since the preseason. He played great, and right now i would not even mess with the o-line at all, Whit and Mathis are playing some of the best football i have seen the o-line do. Cook has been great at Center calling out protections for Palmer, and Williams has always been solid. Why change anything, leave it the way it is, and with Roland in there i like the run game.

Very good point you bring up. I haven't noticed the center play much, which is of course, a damn good thing after last yr. They might be a bit of a group of misfits and shuffled cards but they're doing a good job in both phases. Just thinking about the teams we've played - color me impressed.