Limbaugh-haw-haw

Kiwanuka, Scott Would Not Play for Limbaugh-Owned NFL Team

Posted Oct 09, 2009 12:30PM By Ryan Wilson (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Current Events, NFL

Rush Limbaugh, radio personality, has made a handsome living out of spreading his brand of conservatism. Bart Scott is an NFL linebacker, outspoken about most things, including politics.

During the 2006 mid-term elections Scott, then with the Ravens, spoke about his political philosophy with USA Today's Skip Wood.

"We get a break by that, but then our family members are overtaxed. You know, tax cuts for the rich. Well, it's a Catch-22. Do you want to save more of your money, when you can afford to pay the taxes, or do you want your families to save more of their money, when sometimes maybe they're really being burdened? A lot of guys say, 'Now that I've got money, I'm going to have to vote Republican, but I'll go back to being a Democrat when I retire.' To me, that's just selfish."

So it should come as no surprise that Scott has no interest in playing for an NFL team owned by Limbaugh. On Tuesday it was reported that Limbaugh was part of a group who wanted to purchase the Rams. And yesterday Scott weighed in (via the New York Daily News):

"It's an oxymoron that he criticized Donovan McNabb," Scott said. "A lot of us took it as more of a racial-type thing. I can only imagine how his players would feel. I know I wouldn't want to play for him. He's a jerk. He's an ---. What he said (about McNabb) was inappropriate and insensitive, totally off-base. He could offer me whatever he wanted, I wouldn't play for him. ... I wouldn't play for Rush Limbaugh. My principles are greater and I can't be bought."

In 2003, Limbaugh, during his brief stint on ESPN's NFL Countdown, "suggested Eagles black quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated by a sports media concerned about looking politically correct," as Kevin Blackistone writes.

Scott isn't the only person who would be uninterested in playing for a team owned by Limbaugh. Giants linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka echoed similar sentiments.

"All I know is from the last comment I heard, he said in (President) Obama's America, white kids are getting beat up on the bus while black kids are chanting 'right on,'" Kiwanuka told the Daily News. "I mean, I don't want anything to do with a team that he has any part of. He can do whatever he wants, it is a free country. But if it goes through, I can tell you where I am not going to play."

And this was after Kiwanuka admitted that he loved playing for former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo who now coaches the Rams.

"I love Spags and would play for him in a heartbeat, but under that situation ... obviously trades you have no control over, but if it was a free-agent thing, I wouldn't care if I only had one offer on the table, I would rather stay a free agent."

There are very few things you could do to make the Rams worse. Letting Limbaugh have an ownership stake is right up there with "building the franchise around Kyle Boller's potential."

I think conservatives would love it if Limbaugh managed to buy the Rams.

After all, when black players collectively refuse to sign with the Rams that team will quickly morph into a nearly all-white roster, ala the 50's era NFL. And if there's anything the Republican base really loves it's anything and everything that relates to the 50's.

:lmao:

After all, when black players collectively refuse to sign with the Rams that team will quickly morph into a nearly all-white roster, ala the 50's era NFL. And if there's anything the Republican base really loves it's anything and everything that relates to the 50's.

I wish we were in the NFC west that would be 2 free wins every year.

Holy crap, how much money does Rush Limbaugh have anyway? Last I checked NFL franchises were in the $600 million to $1.2 billion range. I'd expect that to be well out of reach of a radio talk show host. Maybe he's trying for the vanity ownership thing where he just buys a small minority share, like the Williams sisters down in Miami. I don't know what Bart Scott is yammering about, if a survey was done of political beliefs of NFL owners Limbaugh probably falls about in the middle.

Holy crap, how much money does Rush Limbaugh have anyway? Last I checked NFL franchises were in the $600 million to $1.2 billion range. I'd expect that to be well out of reach of a radio talk show host. Maybe he's trying for the vanity ownership thing where he just buys a small minority share, like the Williams sisters down in Miami. I don't know what Bart Scott is yammering about, if a survey was done of political beliefs of NFL owners Limbaugh probably falls about in the middle.

He's making a stand n s**t. Luckily he's rich enough to be able to afford principles.

See, this would only prove that most of the "black" players that refuse to play for a white owner are the ones with the bias. Limbaugh never said that McNabb couldnt play because he was black, he was just stating an opinion that the media was all over his jock because he was black, and a similar white player would have been seen as above average at best. Well, maybe not, but come on, he wouldnt even be the most conservative owner.

Seems as if the media has now moved on, considering that Obama was nominated for his recent Noble Peace prize just 11 days after he was inaugerated as US Pres. Imagine what he could have won if he had been on the job longer than 1 week and three days?

See, this would only prove that most of the "black" players that refuse to play for a white owner are the ones with the bias.

But they're not refusing to play for a white owner....nor could they considering the current NFL landscape. Rather, several of them have spoken out about their refusal to play for Rush Limbaugh, the individual.

Limbaugh never said that McNabb couldnt play because he was black, he was just stating an opinion that....

I can't speak for black players but I'm guessing the player opposition to Limbaugh's ownership bid was based upon his body of work, not simply the remarks that led to Rush being s**tcanned from MNF. Furthermore, I'm betting the NFL was just as concerned about the type of things Rush might say in the future as much as the outrageous things he's uttered in the past. (Not to mention Limbaugh's recent drug scandal, right?)

Seems as if the media has now moved on, considering that Obama was nominated for his recent Noble Peace prize just 11 days after he was inaugerated as US Pres......

C'mon, focus. Just because a conservative is rightly being excluded from NFL ownership due to his outlandish political opinions is no reason to inject our beloved Barry Obama into the discussion.

C'mon, focus. Just because a conservative is rightly being excluded from NFL ownership due to his outlandish political opinions is no reason to inject our beloved Barry Obama into the discussion.

My apologies to RBB. You see, I couldn't understand how Limbaugh being axed from a minority ownership role had anything to do with Barack Obama. And quite frankly, I still don't see it. But an excuse lobbing Rush Limbaugh clearly sees the connection, as well as the overwhelming evil behind it. In fact, not only does Limbaugh refuse to blame himself for his own reputation...he refuses to blame Dave Checketts, the man who fired him.

Limbaugh: Rams bid fallout is 'Obama's America on full display'

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh blames others for him being dropped from the group that's trying to buy the St. Louis Rams.

On his syndicated show Thursday, Limbaugh said he was approached by St. Louis Blues chairman Dave Checketts earlier this year about participating in a Rams bid. Limbaugh also said Checketts assured him that his involvement as a minority investor had been vetted by the NFL.

"I said to him at this meeting, 'Are you aware of the firestorm?' He said, 'We wouldn't have approached you if we hadn't taken care of that,'" Limbaugh said.

It's not so much Rush Limbaugh's politics or beliefs that made him radioactive with NFL owners, Steve Wyche writes. It's the fact that he has piped up so openly, so profoundly and so controversially. More ... Limbaugh added that Checketts had told him his involvement had been cleared at the "highest levels of the NFL."

Despite being sacked, Limbaugh said he still loved the NFL and probably would be "the biggest non-paid promoter of the sport."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Colts owner Jim Irsay both expressed misgivings about Limbaugh's involvement Tuesday. Checketts said the next day that Limbaugh had been dropped from the bid.

During a 15-minute counterattack at the start of his show Thursday, Limbaugh said he believes he has been made an example by a players union that's seeking leverage in talks over a new collective bargaining agreement. And he believed what happened to him was an illustration of "Obama's America on full display."

Racially insensitive remarks from the past brought down Limbaugh, who in 2003 was forced to resign from ESPN's Sunday night football broadcast after saying of the Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

According to transcripts posted on his Web site, Limbaugh said in 2007: "The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

Limbaugh blamed DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFLPA and an "Obama-ite," and the Revs Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, whom he referred to as "race hustlers," for Checketts' decision one day earlier to drop him. Limbaugh said his sacking was an example of the political clout wielded by the Obama administration.

"What is happening to the National Football League, what is about to happen to it, has already happened to Wall Street, has already happened to the automobile business," Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh said he was victimized in the media by "misreporting, lying, repeating the lies while also saying 'Limbaugh denies,' repeating the made-up quotes, the blind hatred."

"Believe me, the hatred that exists in this is found in the sportswriter community, it's found in the news business, it's found in the race hustler business," Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh said Checketts telephoned him Tuesday, asking him to withdraw from the group. Limbaugh responded that he wouldn't withdraw and that Checketts would have to "go public and fire me," and believed the news would be made public Thursday morning.

Smith, the NFLPA head, last week voiced his objections to Limbaugh's bid with Goodell and urged players to speak out against it. Sharpton and Jackson also attacked Limbaugh's involvement, asserting that his track record on race should exclude him.

Limbaugh said the real reason he's out is the NFLPA's attempt to influence negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. He said Smith warned that he would bring the White House into negotiations if necessary.

"It's designed to intimidate the owners, frighten the owners and say 'We're running this league now, gang, not you,'" Limbaugh said. "This little warning shot fired across the bow to the owners, to say 'Get ready, here we come for the next collective bargaining agreement,' so we'll see how it all unfolds."

Limbaugh said he has "lost nothing" over the episode and vowed to continue being the "biggest non-paid promoter of the sport."

"On the other hand, our country has lost a great deal. A lot more than most people realize at the moment," Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh said the Checketts group had previously lost its lead owner, which must have at least 30 percent equity. He speculated that the lead investor had been global financier George Soros.

Limbaugh said Checketts and Soros previously were partners in a bid to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers and added that Soros was "known politically for his left-wing slants."

"His politics fits in perfectly with what the National Football League is becoming," Limbaugh said.

The Checketts group is among a reported half-dozen bidders for the Rams and would keep the team in St. Louis. The children of the late Georgia Frontiere, who inherited the team upon her death in January 2008, announced in June that they had hired the investment firm Goldman Sachs to review assets of the estate, including the football team.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Rush Limbaugh being excluded from ownership in the NFL is Rush Limbaugh's America on full display.

I'm sure that in the abstract, he would wholeheartedly endorse the right of any private organization to exclude anyone they want for any reason they want.

He may find the application of said principle to him personally to be another matter. I find that almost everyone is a little bit guilty of situational ethics and standards.

Rush Limbaugh being excluded from ownership in the NFL is Rush Limbaugh's America on full display.

I'm sure that in the abstract, he would wholeheartedly endorse the right of any private organization to exclude anyone they want for any reason they want.

He may find the application of said principle to him personally to be another matter. I find that almost everyone is a little bit guilty of situational ethics and standards.

I think you are right here, but at least use correct based facts when excluding someone. Not the made up lies being spewed by most on this subject.

Mercury Morris said correctly, the spoiled players of today have no idea what real racism feels like, try living through it in the 60's like he nd Rush did, than you have a leg to stand on.

I dont have any problem with them dropping Rush, but the lies they used to do it, does remind me of the current beloved Barry Oabamanation administration.

I dont have any problem with them dropping Rush, but the lies they used to do it, does remind me of the current beloved Barry Oabamanation administration.

What lies were told?

In fact, why was it necessary for NFL muckity mucks like Irsay and Goodell to give any explanation at all? It's a private club. They can exclude anyone they want...including someone who comes with the ugly baggage that Rush brings. And on that last point, doesn't Limbaugh's poor reputation speak for itself? And isn't the risk he say something outlandish in the future far greater than for almost any other person you might name?

Furthermore, nobody from the NFL bothered mentioning the drug scandal Limbaugh was recently involved in, right?

Just saying....