Leon Hall

kentjett

When is he going to start getting the the respect he deserves. He blankets everybody he plays against. He was mainly matched up against Marshall and Royal against Denver, Jennings against GB, Holmes against Pitt and Braylon against Cleveland. I don't feel like checking but I don't remember anyone one of them being any bit of a factor. I've seen Joseph get burnt deep several times but Leon continues to take away each teams most dangerous threat.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel like checking but I don't remember anyone one of them being any bit of a factor. I've seen Joseph get burnt deep several times but Leon continues to take away each teams most dangerous threat.

Hall gave up a few plays vs the steelers if i'm not mistaken more then JJoe but people remember jjoes cause it was like 40-50 yards where hall was giving up 20-30's...With that being said I'm happy with em both I think Jjoe is doing fine ya hes getting burnt few times game but he comes back from it

PS,CBS has a praise article on them both saying that their on the way to being the best cornerback tandem in the league.

I agree that Leon is playing his balls off! I think that the Squeeler game was the only one he didn't completely dominate! JJ plays hard but gets roasty toasted almost every game! But I will say without his interceptions we prob. wouldn't have beat the Squeelers or the Clowns, but he gets hurt too much in my eyes to extend him right now IMO! I wouldn't mind using our 1st or 2nd round pick on the future to replace him!

I'm happy with both our corners. Hope they are here for some time to come. They both have different strengths and weaknesses and they might not be Mel Blount HOF type corners right now but they're very good corners at this level. Not many teams have two strong corners starting. Usually one good/great one and one iffy guy that can be picked on week in and week out which makes life generally hellish for the rest of the D.

Hall is good in coverage. JJoe is also a really good.

What seperates Hall from JJoe and other players in our secondary is his ability too find the ball.. I've been saying this since his second year that he would cause some really big turnovers because of his knack for the ball. Even when he does get beat on a slant or comeback, his hand is always right there on the ball when tackling. Look at the tipped ball. It's in his nature, he MUST touch the ball. The fumble that Geathers ran back for 6 was all Hall. The dude has amazing ball skills.

You gotta give credit to JJoe for making a couple of pretty good hits too. Roy Williams and Crocker must be rubbing off on this defense. Joseph has a put a couple good licks on some players.

The best part of it all is that if they do get beat they're not giving up. They're playing to the end of the game. They're doing a great job off stopping the WR's make big plays.

Mussaquia lit him up if I'm not mistaken. I like him alot. On the flip side they have held

B Marshall

G. Jennings

S. Holmes

B. Edwards

in check. I'm not bashing Hall, I'm just saying that a shut down doesn't give up anything.

Um, he was on Braylon, not Massequoi.

Shut down.

Are the Bengals still leading the league in big plays given up by the defense ?? Sorry, but I'm being lazy about looking that one up.

Anyway, that being the case, it's hard to say if either JJoe or Hall are indeed "shutdown". I will however, say some of that has to do with getting consistent pressure on the opposing QB and if given enough time, a WR is going to get open. Hell, look at how much time Favre had last night and I don't think Al Harris and Charles Woodson are sh*t CB's because of that. It happens.

What I do like to see is, if they do get beat, they seem to have short term memory and continue fighting and making plays.

I'll take the heart this defense has shown and continue to smile.

Who are the big plays against? Other than.the denver fluke, I don't recall hall being around the noteworthy big plays...

I don't know honestly and am not feeling like doing research at the moment, but was going off a comment from last week about the Bengals leading the league in giving up big plays. I can't even tell you who was involved in those plays and once again, those plays can be skewed a bit when you don't have pressure on an opposing QB. I'm not making the argument for either side actually...

So I guess, what I'm trying to say is, I don't know ??

Who are the big plays against? Other than.the denver fluke, I don't recall hall being around the noteworthy big plays...

Denver - held Royal, Marshall and Stokely totally in check. Obviously the tip was a "big" play but was a total fluke.

GB - Leon shut down Jennings, Driver has a nice game - longest pass was to Driver for 26. I think the sack totals were helped by good coverage.

Pit - they gave up a long passes to Wallace (51) Whines on 3rd and long (41 over Leon, I think) and Willie has a 27 catch and run.

Cle - Edwards got shut out. Furrey got over on our nickel and Massaquoi had a very nice game (long was a 30 yrder).

Overall, I think Leon has done very well. Jjoe is not chopped liver but needs often needs help.

We need a good nickel back. Crocker is average as a CB, much better as FS. Really wish they had gone harder after a CB. Of the guiys we have, Jones is frequently hurt and Trent is green as grass. A vet would have made quite a bit of sense.

Upcoming games that feature Mason/Clayton, Andre Johnson/Kevin Walter, Bennett/Knox will also tell us more about the pass D.

After that we get the Ravens again, Steelers, Oakland, Cleveland and Detroit.

JJoe is the guy that stands out to me as being more susceptible to big plays. No hard facts to back that up...my memory just seems to recall him being the one burned on most of the big plays.

I don't think he's a bad corner by any stretch...just more of a gambler perhaps? Or it could be a lack of safety help...I'm not well enough versed in secondary play to know for sure.

Mussaquia lit him up if I'm not mistaken. I like him alot. On the flip side they have held

B Marshall

G. Jennings

S. Holmes

B. Edwards

in check. I'm not bashing Hall, I'm just saying that a shut down doesn't give up anything.

Shut down.

He was on Massequoi on several of his catches. But even the announcers noted that his coverage was really good, and that Massequoi was just finding a way to catch the ball.

B Marshall

G. Jennings

S. Holmes

B. Edwards

Shut down.

Um Joseph was covering Braylon Quite abit if not more then Hall,They aren't always covering same WR.

This was the only little blurb I was able to find from NBC sports:

Massaquoi earned Anderson's trust with most of his catches coming down field against solid Leon Hall coverage

Not sure if that helps matters or not...

There were several plays that Massaquoi was not open. If a WR makes a play when a ball "shouldn't" have been thrown to him, it's hard to blame Leon. It's rare to see ol' 29 5 yards away from his receiver (ala Tory James) and there's a reason people don't go deep on him. Anyone remember that play from Sunday that was something like a 55 yard bomb that leon just slapped out of the air? One of these weeks he's going to start getting the shut down label.

Um,no, he wasn't.

Um Yes he was I know Hall gave up atleast 3 passes to Mass himself,Once my TV is available go back and watch it again :P

Yeah. Not sure why mem is arguing over something that is easy enough to go fact check. Watch the game again.

Especially when the plays made against him weren't his fault. His coverage was good. The only way to stop them was pass interference. Hall played well... but to say he wasn't covering someone that many remember hearing and seeing, as well as noted when rewatching the game is kind of stupid.