We should be trying long snappers out this week

MARVIN=W'S

I would hope that one development we hear about this week is that we have some long snappers in for a try out. I don't know if they need to sign one but maybe the competition alone will help motivate Brad St. Louis to straighten things out. In an off season that competition was the storyline St. Loius again was handed the job without having to win it as he has been for years. I used to think it was nostalgic that we still had someone from Peter Warricks draft class, but I'm over that now. I hope we dont wait until he costs us a game we must win to do something. He's killing the field goal unit's confidence right now.

He went from one of the league's better players to a goat almost as fast as Levi Jones did.

I don't usually jump on the bandwagon for cutting players midseason... but this guy has one job to do - and he can't do it. It's in his head now I think, and I've got to believe there is someone walking the streets right now that can do a better job.

It also has to do with Huber setting the ball.. When the snap is not perfect it's Hubers job to get the ball down. It has a lot to do with St. Louis and his bad snaps but Huber is also in his first year and he's doing the best he can. Huber will get better with time.

I was screaming at the screen every time Brad made a bad snap but the more I think about it, he really didn't do that bad yesterday. Look at all the punts? He was spot on with those snaps.

Graham and Huber need to work more together this week whoever is snapping the ball.

Huber got the blame from me the very first time this happened in the season against Denver because he got his hands on the ball and should have gotten it down, but the rest have been St. louis all the way. You can only expect a holder to get the ball down so many times when it's constantly over his head or behind him and even the first one I blamed on Huber was still a high ball from St. Louis.

I'm not one for canning guys either, but something has to be done. It's happened every game or at least 3 of 4 and it will cost a game sooner or later.

Here's my question...

How hard would it be to have Luigs do the long snapping for them ?? Hell, at least get him in there practicing it now.

I just don't think he could be that much worse than what we've seen from St. Louis and this has been going on for some time now...

We have to remember too that Shaun Rogers is a FG blocking machine. But STL and Graham and Huber and everyone involved needs to fix this.

I like how Graham is just taking the stance that he just kicks the ball. So no responsibility falls on the kicker? If its blocked? Not my fault. BAd snap - I just prepare to kick the ball the same every time. Hmm - Franchise?

I think we can find a kicker that can actually put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs and give us a chance to kick a 50 yarder without pulling it 20 yards to the left. Oh wait - he prepared - must have been a bad snap.

Im scared as He!! now during every fg.

(the guy we had in the preseason looked better)

Huber got the blame from me the very first time this happened in the season against Denver because he got his hands on the ball and should have gotten it down, but the rest have been St. louis all the way. You can only expect a holder to get the ball down so many times when it's constantly over his head or behind him and even the first one I blamed on Huber was still a high ball from St. Louis.

I'm not one for canning guys either, but something has to be done. It's happened every game or at least 3 of 4 and it will cost a game sooner or later.

Here's my question...

How hard would it be to have Luigs do the long snapping for them ?? Hell, at least get him in there practicing it now.

I just don't think he could be that much worse than what we've seen from St. Louis and this has been going on for some time now...

I agree, there are a couple of wild snaps every now and then that need to be corralled in, but not every snap and most of them being way over his head! I also agree that its in his head now! Something has to be done!

How come a center like Luigs can't do double duty? I've always thought that as well... :blink:

We have to remember too that Shaun Rogers is a FG blocking machine. But STL and Graham and Huber and everyone involved needs to fix this.

I like how Graham is just taking the stance that he just kicks the ball. So no responsibility falls on the kicker? If its blocked? Not my fault. BAd snap - I just prepare to kick the ball the same every time. Hmm - Franchise?

I think we can find a kicker that can actually put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs and give us a chance to kick a 50 yarder without pulling it 20 yards to the left. Oh wait - he prepared - must have been a bad snap.

I couldn't agree more, even if I tried! Sure were not the first to have a field goal blocked by Shaun Rogers, man I wish we had traded for him!

Graham is a piece of franchised s**t! I watched Mike & Mike this morning and Golic said the same thing I've been saying, Shayne is kicking low, redikulusly low! Sure he's accurate, but the dude has no leg strength at all, I don't remember the last time this bum kicked a legitimate touchback and its redikulus that we aren't in his range if its anything over 40 yards! Franchise my A$$! <_<

Agreed, every single field goal is a terrible adventure!

I couldn't agree more, even if I tried! Sure were not the first to have a field goal blocked by Shaun Rogers, man I wish we had traded for him!

Graham is a piece of franchised s**t! I watched Mike & Mike this morning and Golic said the same thing I've been saying, Shayne is kicking low, redikulusly low! Sure he's accurate, but the dude has no leg strength at all, I don't remember the last time this bum kicked a legitimate touchback and its redikulus that we aren't in his range if its anything over 40 yards! Franchise my A$$! <_<

Agreed, every single field goal is a terrible adventure!

Chad Ocho Cinco anyone? B)0776166d-4411-40fe-b962-d6f513426a98.widec-733480.jpg

Here's my question...

Well hell Army, we've seen how Chad can kick a ball...wonder how good he is at snapping.......

Here's my question...

Well hell Army, we've seen how Chad can kick a ball...wonder how good he is at snapping.......

Sometimes it's hard to judge what people say on here, so I'm left wondering if you are being sarcastic at my response. If not cool, no issue.

If you are, I will simply point out the obvious that Chad is indeed a WR, that in a pinch during a preseason game, got to kick an extra point.

On the other side of my earlier post, you have Luigs who is, you know, a center that snaps the ball. Seeing as how he isn't doing anything else (see not playing center or anywhere on the line during a game) why not at least have him get some time in with long snapping ?? Would there be some practice involved to get him to the level where the team felt comfortable ?? Sure, but who else is going to do it ??

I simply would rather see the team take an active approach to a real problem as opposed to hoping it all gets better and Luigs fits that role without bringing in another player and cutting St. Louis. Anyway around, I hope something is being done to address this and for all I know, something is being done...

Here's my question...

Sometimes it's hard to judge what people say on here, so I'm left wondering if you are being sarcastic at my response. If not cool, no issue.

If you are, I will simply point out the obvious that Chad is indeed a WR, that in a pinch during a preseason game, got to kick an extra point.

On the other side of my earlier post, you have Luigs who is, you know, a center that snaps the ball. Seeing as how he isn't doing anything else (see not playing center or anywhere on the line during a game) why not at least have him get some time in with long snapping ?? Would there be some practice involved to get him to the level where the team felt comfortable ?? Sure, but who else is going to do it ??

I simply would rather see the team take an active approach to a real problem as opposed to hoping it all gets better and Luigs fits that role without bringing in another player and cutting St. Louis. Anyway around, I hope something is being done to address this and for all I know, something is being done...

Not being sarcastic at all....just injecting a little humour into a desparate situation! Luigs is the obvious candidate, and I for one would have utilised him 2 games ago at least! The number of similar errors Brad has made is enough to get him replaced. We could have won games in a more conventional manner had his snaps been good. I was just musing that as Chad likes to be the centre of attention, it would be a laugh to see him trying to snap a ball. Perhaps he could then run back really quickly and kick it after the hold.......

Here's my question...

Not being sarcastic at all....just injecting a little humour into a desparate situation! Luigs is the obvious candidate, and I for one would have utilised him 2 games ago at least! The number of similar errors Brad has made is enough to get him replaced. We could have won games in a more conventional manner had his snaps been good. I was just musing that as Chad likes to be the centre of attention, it would be a laugh to see him trying to snap a ball. Perhaps he could then run back really quickly and kick it after the hold.......

Cool, I was thinking that was what you meant, but was covering all bases. I agree... :sure:

Marvin Lewis on Brad St. Louis: "We have to take into consideration what’s best for the team"

by Kirkendall on Oct 6, 2009 10:35 AM EDT in Analysis 7 comments

If there were to be a goat nominated through the first quarter of the season on a team that's 3-1 and tied for the lead in the AFC North, then you have to assume it's Bengals' snapper Brad St. Louis. Joe Reedy writes that St. Louis has had "four errant snaps in three games that have led to eight missed points (two field goals, two extra points)."

Marvin Lewis did comment on St. Louis Monday.

“Well, we have to take into consideration what’s best for the team. I’ll continue to say those same things on this subject,” Lewis said. “I’m comfortable that we need to do better. I’m confident in that, and we’re going to leave it at that.”

That's how you sidestep a question.

I also believe that an argument could be made that both blocked kicks against the Cleveland Browns could be blamed just as much on Shayne Graham as St. Louis. Both snaps were wild, but Kevin Huber did a good job catching the football and setting it up. Both blocked kicks were incredibly low and easily blocked, mostly because the delicate timing of the snap, hold and kick were thrown off.

I'm not letting St. Louis off the hook. But Graham should be able to deal with bad snaps also, if the holder gets the football and properly sets it up. He is, after all, our franchise guy. And the franchise guy can't require that every play be perfect or we're not seeing the last of our low field goal attempts get blocked.

Why don't those writers ask Marvin if he's going to bring in anyone for a tryout and if not, why not?

Here it is late Tues afternoon, still no rumor of a tryout. There will be another press conference with Marvin tomorrow. I hope they bring up the issue of tryouts

Mike Brown trumps Marvin once again...i'm guessing. 10 year guy, can't let him go.

I hope he gets straightened out starting now. I think it'll take another screw-up for Brown to let Marvin have his way.

If this was a Mikey decision St. Louis and his 10-year-vet's-salary would have been out the door for CFA James Smith, who would be like $500k cheaper.

Replacing BSL right now simply replaces one question mark with another. That's why I was rooting for Smith in minicamp; since we were changing holders, it was the perfect opportunity to change snappers, too. Too late now.