Benson resigned for 2 years

Bearcat1975

I'm okay with this deal, for only 1 reason.....We have no friggin running backs. Its not that bad of a deal, BUT if Benson does have a big year this year, you KNOW he will want an extension and raise before his 2nd year.

And surely you'd give it to him? I mean I know paying a player who is producing might be considered radical thinking but it just might work.

Not a silly 5 yr £100M contract or anything but a market value contract based on production would be justified no?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A poster on GoBengals claims to have an inside source...(ahem)...said the 2-year contract was Benson's idea. The Bengals were said to have offered 12 million over 3 years, but Benson preferred a shorter deal and a chance to hit FA again as a more proven 28-year old.

As always, take it for whatever it might be worth.

Funny how getting a guy in here that solidifies the RB position and frees up the draft a bit and people that have bitched and moaned about how much money we have but haven't spent it STILL can't find something to be happy about. I think some just need to quit at being fans.

The Bengals HAD to get Benson in here or they would pretty much have to take one in the first two rounds AND another within the next couple rounds after that. Benson running his mouth had nothing to do with the Bengals OR the Texans. It was about him getting paid, so try not to take it personal. I'm sure when he's delivering hits like the one he laid on Polumalu none of you will remember what he said.

As to bringing in a Center and Grossman, I say F*CK Grossman and there are no other centers out there for us to bring in. Birk isn't leaving the Vikings and if he does, he's going to the Ravens. Bank on it.

Funny how getting a guy in here that solidifies the RB position and frees up the draft a bit and people that have bitched and moaned about how much money we have but haven't spent it STILL can't find something to be happy about. I think some just need to quit at being fans.

The Bengals HAD to get Benson in here or they would pretty much have to take one in the first two rounds AND another within the next couple rounds after that. Benson running his mouth had nothing to do with the Bengals OR the Texans. It was about him getting paid, so try not to take it personal. I'm sure when he's delivering hits like the one he laid on Polumalu none of you will remember what he said.

As to bringing in a Center and Grossman, I say F*CK Grossman and there are no other centers out there for us to bring in. Birk isn't leaving the Vikings and if he does, he's going to the Ravens. Bank on it.

The reason we are mad is because this is when you are suppose to improve your football team. I am sick of our team low balling these players. It isn't the 80's. Players wanna get paid. And NO I WILL NEVER STOP BEING A FAN, BECAUSE REAL FANS GET EMOTIONAL ABOUT THEIR TEAM, AND WANT THEM TO WIN. WE CAN'T WIN IF WE DON'T IMPROVE.

Benson was a start but they need to keep going.

Spend some f**king money.

If what Hair posted about that GoBengals info is true, look for Benson to have a huge couple years. Getting snubbed during free agency may have put a chip on his shoulder, and with Marvin's emphasis on running the ball, Benson could be the bell-wearing cow we've been looking for.

Run angry, drunk-boating brother.

The reason we are mad is because this is when you are suppose to improve your football team. I am sick of our team low balling these players. It isn't the 80's. Players wanna get paid. And NO I WILL NEVER STOP BEING A FAN, BECAUSE REAL FANS GET EMOTIONAL ABOUT THEIR TEAM, AND WANT THEM TO WIN. WE CAN'T WIN IF WE DON'T IMPROVE.

Damn dude, how long have you been a fan of this team ?? Are you familiar with the term "build through the draft" ?? If not, allow me to tell you that is the philosophy of the team you are a fan of. This means they normally aren't going to spend a sh*tload of money during free agency. It doesn't mean they WON'T, just that it's not the norm. They gave Odom a boatload and were willing to make a trade to get Rogers in here last year as well. They were willing to give TJ more than he was worth (at least to me).

Wanting your team to win is understood. I'm just saying that most were bitching about the Bengals not doing anything and they took care of a big need and you wouldn't know it by some. They took care of Crocker, Benson, and ensured depth at the linebacker position, while keeping one of the top kickers in the league.

Jason Brown wouldn't have been great, but even you were acknowledging the fact he wasn't going to sign here.

Damn dude, how long have you been a fan of this team ?? Are you familiar with the term "build through the draft" ?? If not, allow me to tell you that is the philosophy of the team you are a fan of. This means they normally aren't going to spend a sh*tload of money during free agency. It doesn't mean they WON'T, just that it's not the norm. They gave Odom a boatload and were willing to make a trade to get Rogers in here last year as well. They were willing to give TJ more than he was worth (at least to me).

Wanting your team to win is understood. I'm just saying that most were bitching about the Bengals not doing anything and they took care of a big need and you wouldn't know it by some. They took care of Crocker, Benson, and ensured depth at the linebacker position, while keeping one of the top kickers in the league.

Jason Brown wouldn't have been great, but even you were acknowledging the fact he wasn't going to sign here.

I think it is funny how a bunch of people were talking about us being in real trouble in another thread and once he is signed we are ok....lol

I like Benson, am I a little pissed at his dumb ass comments? Yes, but i will get over it. It was a great deal and if he can fulfill his damn potential here I would be all to happy to give him a couple extra years on his contract. The only thing I am weary about with a contract extension is the wear on his legs. He was a four year starter at Texas and he has a good share of carries in the NFl. If he is our bell cow how many years will he have left on his legs?

I know he isn't happy about 7 million, but the dude got a buttload of money from the Bears for being such a high pick. Does anyone know how much exactly? I don't feel like researching it this late!

Good deal. It seems obvious that Benson doesn't plan on being here the rest of his career... but that thinking could change quickly if the team turns around. If he still feels that way 2 years from now, fine. We should be in better shape by that point anyway. I'm just happy they don't have to use a day 1 pick on RB anymore. Build that defense!

Comp Pick Estimate Update: a 3 for TJ, a 4 for Andrews, and a 7 for Fitzpatrick

Resigning Cedric = no impact

Very good signing, good value, very happy about this.

I do believe there are still FA centers out there who can help us aside from Birk, but for now, let's be happy we got this one done and can move onto the next piece of the puzzle

A poster on GoBengals claims to have an inside source...(ahem)...said the 2-year contract was Benson's idea. The Bengals were said to have offered 12 million over 3 years, but Benson preferred a shorter deal and a chance to hit FA again as a more proven 28-year old.

I actually think this can work two fold...if Benson has a good year next year, it gives the Bengals a full year to sign Benson to a longer deal OR the ability to trade him to another team for some compensation.

um I believe the bengals end up spending about the same as anyone else per season. they just do it in ways it angers alot of you. They reward players like Carson, Chad, Levi, etc when they perform well after being drafted by them. I expect at least 1 maybe 2 players to get extended which will take some of that money we have available away.

And at this point it's like who are they really going give decent contract too besides maybe coles...won't hurt to leave some cap space available encase they decide to redo some contracts for next years FA's....

I'm just happy they don't have to use a day 1 pick on RB anymore. Build that defense!

Mmmmmmm Defense.

I trust Benson a LOT less than I do Henry.

Well, naturally..........after all, Henry has run afoul of the law so many times locally that every cop knows his license number by heart, and Cedric has.......well.......been a model citizen and a positive in the locker room since his arrival.

Given your inability to distinguish good from bad, let me explain

no criminal activity = good

lots of criminal activity = bad

we can review later if you remain unclear.

um I believe the bengals end up spending about the same as anyone else per season. they just do it in ways it angers alot of you. They reward players like Carson, Chad, Levi, etc when they perform well after being drafted by them. I expect at least 1 maybe 2 players to get extended which will take some of that money we have available away.

Two things:

In many years that's true, but last year they ended up with $10M of free cap space after cutting vets, not doing much in free agency, and not extending anybody. That irritates the hell out of me, because it says that Mikey puts winning low on his priority list. That or he has no coherent plan for managing the personnel long-term.

Given that, he's even cheaper off the field. Check out the joke of a scouting department. And don't get me started with their (on) crack medical staff. The Bengals seem to have more lingering injuries and misdiagnoses than you really want to see.

I actually think this can work two fold...if Benson has a good year next year, it gives the Bengals a full year to sign Benson to a longer deal OR the ability to trade him to another team for some compensation.

If the rumor is true then I give Benson lots of props for the confidence he's shown in regards to turning his career around. In short, he left years and money on the table for the opportunity to cash in again in a much bigger way two years from now. That said, if I'm the Bengals I wouldn't have many plans to sign Benson when and if that day ever comes. Rather, I'm counting on Benson for two years of Rudi Johnson style bell cow work and no more.

If the rumor is true then I give Benson lots of props for the confidence he's shown in regards to turning his career around. In short, he left years and money on the table for the opportunity to cash in again in a much bigger way two years from now. That said, if I'm the Bengals I wouldn't have many plans to sign Benson when and if that day ever comes. Rather, I'm counting on Benson for two years of Rudi Johnson style bell cow work and no more.

Word. 2 years is a long time for a NFL RB. Especially the bell cow type. The Bengals don't have to be careful with their playcalling trying to keep their investment safe for the next 5 years. Benson can be a bell cow this year and next, and then when the defense has been more developed (hopefully) they can address the RB issue in the draft in 2011.

Word. 2 years is a long time for a NFL RB. Especially the bell cow type. The Bengals don't have to be careful with their playcalling trying to keep their investment safe for the next 5 years. Benson can be a bell cow this year and next, and then when the defense has been more developed (hopefully) they can address the RB issue in the draft in 2011.

I'd rather draft a developmental guy this year...run Benson like crazy building up his value, then trade him with one year left on his contract and get something in return for their investment. It is getting old watching the Bengals put time and effort into building up project players or rebuilding guys careers, to only watch them leave with no compensation. They need to take a page from the Patriots book on how to get returns for their services.

I'd rather draft a developmental guy this year...run Benson like crazy building up his value, then trade him with one year left on his contract and get something in return for their investment.

Perhaps, but the two-year contract buys the Bengals time, and I'm in favor of using it. In fact, with Benson in the fold I'm good with what they have right now. But if they simply have to have another body I'd rather draft a complimentary player than an eventual replacement. Like the man just said, draft the next Beanie Wells two years from now.

It is getting old watching the Bengals put time and effort into building up project players or rebuilding guys careers, to only watch them leave with no compensation.

Call me crazy but I was in favor of grossly overpaying Benson for many reasons....including the opportunity to wear him down. And by that I mean wear him down into a fine dust. And if I cant do that, if the guy is still standing tall after 700-800 carries, well thanks for the fish Cedric. Go with my blessings.

It's a good deal for both the Bengals and Benson. The Bengals get the only remaining starting-quality FA back available, who's familiar with the team and the offense for a very modest rate. Benson still gets another shot at a long-term deal in 2 years, while making what will amount to 7 million guaranteed.

We should still draft a back in the 3rd or 4th round and let JJ and DeDe batle for the 3rd spot.