TJ staying for cheaper? **EDIT**

Clackwoods

"I'm not going to get into what they offered. I don't think it was fair. I'm talking about what it took to get there.

I'm guessing he didn't like the drawn-out haggling that took place. Possibly he thinks that since we thought he was worth it at the last minute, we should have offered it from the beginning, not wait until another organization forced us to up the offer. Naive thinking, but it goes hand in hand with what some folks have been saying - that TJ feels very underappreciated by the Bengals organization.

There was just no way he was going to stay in Cincinnati. That last quote shows it. The Bengals bid a fair amount, he's just so tired of the Bengals that nothing they were going to do was going to seem right to him. His agent just did his job, using us against the other bidders.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='CentralOhioBengal' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:52 PM' post='269389'

His agent just did his job, using us against the other bidders.

This seems to happen to the Bengals alot...

Thanks for memories TJ... I was a fan.

In the end, it was all about the money. Cincy offered TJ a very fair and competitive offer. Have fun catchihng balls from a has been QB. We will see you back on the market next year after Seatle releases you. At least the Bengals have a decent record for honoring contractss ... See John Thorton, Chad Johnson.

Bring on the new wave on WRs...!

T.J. quote from the official site:

"I'm not going to get into what they offered. I don't think it was fair. I'm talking about what it took to get there. The Browns gave me my chance to play in the NFL. I'm thankful to them and I don't have bitterness. You just move on."

I thought we were in the ballpark? Maybe we was expecting an absolutely ridiculous offer from the teams that brought him into the league. He also said that he knew since Saturday that he wasn't coming back.

My thinking is, he knew all along that he wanted out.

I think we're in line for a 3rd and a 3rd/4th in compensatory picks next year. Good deal.

We only get Comp picks if we don't sign anyone ourselves...so If we sign Coles to a 30million dollar contract we will probably only get 3rd maybe 4th rounder next year.

No bitterness from this chair.

Well there is a smidgen from mine. Another Bengals jersey hanging in my closet is doomed to never being worn again. :angry:

Do what I do.

Put your own name on the back of the jersey.

:lol:

I only get young guys who I know aren't going anywhere when I buy Jerseys. That is why i got my Palmer jersey back in the day and that is why i am going to buy a Crabtree Jersey on May 1st.

Well there is a smidgen from mine. Another Bengals jersey hanging in my closet is doomed to never being worn again. :angry:

Do what I do.

Not a bad idea Hair. I deserve something for supporting this organization since it's conception back in '68.

There was just no way he was going to stay in Cincinnati. That last quote shows it.

It's always about respect with TJ. As in he never seems to get enough. I doubt things change for the better in Seattle but I wish him well.

The Bengals bid a fair amount, he's just so tired of the Bengals that nothing they were going to do was going to seem right to him. His agent just did his job, using us against the other bidders.

ESPN's Michael Smith repeatedly claimed to be in contact with TJ throughout said TJ convinced the Seahawks to better Cincy's last and presumably final offer, spoke once more to the Vikings to see if they could be squeezed for another bump, and then finally signed with his first and only real choice.

TJ wouldn't have signed with the Bengals for any price. But that doesn't mean they can't be used as bargaining chips. It was never really about anyone other than the Vikings or Seahawks. Seattle wins because it is closer to his family, I suspect.

Good luck, TJ. You are finally free.

Now the worst thing the Bengals can do is select Crabtree. Crabtree just seems like a Bengals kind of move right now though. Lets just hope he is drafted already when it comes time to pick.

Do what I do.

Not a bad idea Hair. I deserve something for supporting this organization since it's conception back in '68.

Yup. You're a fan. You deserve to be recognized once and awhile. So why not your name on the back? After all, you're not going anywhere? In fact, you're a lifer in ways few players will ever be.

Show support for yourself.

After all, we've been through alot....

Do what I do.

Yup. You're a fan. You deserve to be recognized once and awhile. So why not your name on the back? After all, you're not going anywhere? In fact, you're a lifer in ways few players will ever be.

Show support for yourself.

After all, we've been through alot....

More than we deserve.

I only get young guys who I know aren't going anywhere when I buy Jerseys. That is why i got my Palmer jersey back in the day and that is why i am going to buy a Crabtree Jersey on May 1st.

You a rams,chiefs,seahawks or browns fan? :o

The Rams wanted Jake Long last year and they will get their top OT this year.

The Chiefs won't pass on Curry (He can play inside in a 3-4 for those of you that bring up Vrabel and Hali)

The Seahawks have TJ

The Browns signed Stallworth to a lucrative deal, plus they have Edwards.....They will probably take Orakpo, Brown, or the guy from Penn State

With the sixth pick in the 2009 NFL the Cincinnati Bengals select Michael Crabtree from Texas Tech University.

We all know Mike Brown has a hard on for crabtree, especially after watching what Fitz did this year. And why wouldn't we want to take him? Everyone is always talking about BPA and he is a top 3 talent, he will only fall due to need and his lack of workouts!

I wouldn't mind taking Crabtree he is a elite prospect that would be hard to pass,But overall I rather see bengals get away from "that" type of football.Consecrate on continuing to build up the Defense & Rebuilding the Oline we have 2 young WR's that were drafted to replace TJ & Chad and I think there will be a good chance we get Coles as the Veteran \ Solid WR....

I dont see how the Seahawks are an upgrade from the Bengals for TJ. They had a down year with thier QB being hurt and Palmer has a better upside when healthy than Hasselback does. There is a coaching change in process.

I guess they do play in a weaker division, allowing for a better chance a mediocre team makes the playoffs and they are a little closer to LA.

Good luck TJ, I think your in for a letdown in the Great NW.

I dont see how the Seahawks are an upgrade from the Bengals for TJ.

They aren't. They simply offered more money and are closer to home. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good luck to TJ, although I agree his new teams success won't be much different from ours.

I dunno Cardinals could lose kurt and go back to their old ways...

They aren't. They simply offered more money and are closer to home. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good luck to TJ, although I agree his new teams success won't be much different from ours.

I dunno Cardinals could lose kurt and go back to their old ways...

Or Leinart could step up big realizing he has the chance to get the starters position back and lead the team back to the playoffs. You just never know.

I think the landscape may have something to do with it. Seattle is a beautiful place as opposed to Minny and Cincy. Don't get me wrong I love the Natti, but it isn't even close to Seattle!